More crud causing..

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
I have a set of 120's that are on E85, on the bench.
Serious flow/leak/pattern issues.
Wouldn't this be a biatch to try to tune!!:wacky:
Flows are obviously being affected by the filter baskets being full of rusty, chocolate colored dust.
The system has a 100M B4 the pump, 40M after. Even w/ the filters, the dirt was in and past the inj baskets.
A good way to check the injs, is to get an otoscope. [What the dr looks in your ears with]. A good one is <$40/on the bag. Hi intensity LED, 10X mag, metal body. Great for looking at plugs, too.

Here's the B4 and after flow levels. No other cleaning, etc, was done in the B4/after pics.
I cleaned them 3 10 min cycles, then reflowed.
No leaks, good patterns, virtually no change in volume. Pretty obvious that the dirt was the culprit, in that it plugged the screens, and got into the orifices. [SIGNIFICANT flow increase!]:eek:
The customer has a couple pics of the main filter. They are too big to post. Maybe, he'll see this, and reduce the pics, and add them to the thread.
Bottom line:
Stay on top of the system w/ frequent filter cleaning, inj inspections. If you want to take it to a higher level, the inj baskets can be pulled w/ a sheet metal screw, and replaced.

E85 inj issue 001.jpg
E85 inj issue 003.jpg

Chuck, would to loss of flow on the injectors be from idle to WOT, and would the bad injectors affect idle?

I am asking this to see if idle is off, or hard to tune at idle, will it show up as a symptom of low flow at RPM?

Nick, IMO, it could well be seen as poor idle.
These injs were flowed on "auto" mode. It starts at very low rpm,[600], and a low pw, [3ms], steps thru several combos and ends up at 12ms/5000rpm. Watching the sequence shows that the loss of volume is from the "gitgo". [The lower total flow injs are lagging behind, all the way thru the test.]
The loss of flow appears to be pretty much linear.

Next funky set I get, I'll lock the test at the rpm for idle, and see what we get.

I will send you a set of "funky" 36# injectors tomorrow that worked fine when I removed them ~2 years ago, and now most of them are not functioning? :confused:

I will send you a set of "funky" 36# injectors tomorrow that worked fine when I removed them ~2 years ago, and now most of them are not functioning? :confused:

OK. I'll check them at idle, and then at various higher rpm/pulse rates, and see what we find.

Here's a pic of the "Shytfire" 120# injs on E85......Have yet to see a set that was worth more than a trip to the scrap tub....(n)
Actually, gas or E85. made no difference.
Not only screwed for volume, they had TERRIBLE spray patterns, 1 would completely stop when pulsed at 3ms.
AT low/idle speed/pulsewidth, [3ms@600rpm], there was a serious variation in flow. So much so, [excluding the 1 that didn't work], that idle tuning would be near impossible.[#3].
Nicks Shitfire injs.jpg

Last edited:
Chuck,

what is micron rating for injector basket? Want to be sure they don't stop up again. Will 10 micron paper Aeromotive/Purolator do the job? E85 is in tank in trace amounts only.
Conrad

Anyone heard from Chuck lately? Wondering how he is doing after surgery.
Conrad

I talked to Chuck this morning. He is doing better. He has had a fit at hospital but is home to stay. He has actually been in his shop so you know he is getting better!
Conrad

Not sure about Aeromotive paper filters and E85.
We had some "gas" the was 114oct/no led, that melted the glue in the filters, and I found the paper fibers sticking in the filter baskets!:eek:

Yah! Chuck is BACK!!

I agree that Aeromotive's 10 micron paper filter is not best for E85. I am now running 10 micron paper filter but got rid of E85 since it was eating the 10 year old rubber Aeroquip hose that I am running. Thanks to Chuck's tip, I'm going to purchase Fragola's PFTE 3000 series hose which does come in -10 size (Aeroquip's comparable hose does not!). Then I can go back to 40 micron Aeromotive post filter and E85.

Does ANYONE make a 10 or 20 micron SS filter?

LOL, the filter basket in inlet end of our injectors will not pass 40 micron debris....ask me how I know!

FWIW, does anyone know the micron rating of the injector filter baskets?
Conrad
ps...welcome back Chuck!

Injector baskets are 5 micro right.

Conrad, I'm still running the filter setup I told you of years back. Filters 3 micro and 300gph and is capable with all fuels. Why not just get it and be done. I haven't had any fuel issues at all

Boost231,
Please refresh my memory! Mind is not what it used to be!!
Conrad

Tip from Chuck Leeper...Otoscopes are available at most drug stores. Walmart too. Really helps you see what is going on in the injector filter basket. Really cool to be able to take a peak. Otoscope is what doctor used to look in your ear.
Conrad