More adjustability from a HD actuator

Mike T

Couldn't get the boost below 20-21 pounds with the HD actuator and I'm running 93, The bigger turbos like mine require a odd actuator and I didn't feel like fabing anything up so this helper spring, nut and washer are keeping it right at 17 PSI. No unwanted side effects so far I'll update if anything changes.

20170809_143801.jpg

Last edited:
Still holding it under 17 PSI after a couple of hard runs at higher loads. Can't say it will work in all cases but It's a quick fix for keeping the boost down while I sort through other little issues.

That's pretty rigged up lol looks like it's time for you to take the turbo off and check out the flap and maybe do Alil porting of the wastegate hole .

Here is what I had to do to actully control my boost
IMG_3963.JPG
IMG_8950.JPG
IMG_8955.JPG

Still holding it under 17 PSI after a couple of hard runs at higher loads. Can't say it will work in all cases but It's a quick fix for keeping the boost down while I sort through other little issues.

It looks like it's a short term solution for keeping the boost down on his HD actuator so he can get some problems figured out so he doesn't have to fab up a standard duty actuator.

Yes...this turbo was set up for an older TSM car when I bought it. Was really for my stage motor but I'm having fun with it on my 109:)

Mike T. is a person who measures 3 times and cuts once!!! Lots of thought and observance behind his every move!!! Good luck on this newest venture.....................

When you port the wastegate hole to a larger diameter,you create a situation where the exhaust is allowed to exert its pressure on more square inches of the flapper valve. This causes the valve to open before you want it to. To keep it closed,you need a greater amount of force/spring pressure so you can make more boost. What most people do is to get a high boost actuator. Now you have a new problem which is that you can't lower the boost as much as you might want to. Because of this,I don't use a heavy duty actuator. What I do is install an extra spring externally with the low boost actuator to create more force to keep the valve closed. I drill a small hole in the actuator bracket to attach one end of the spring to. The other end of the spring is attached to the flapper valve crank where the actuator rod is attached. I remove the retaining clip and the extra spring acts as the retaining clip when it is attached to the flapper crank. If I want to run higher boost,I install the extra spring which costs almost nothing. When I want to run lower boost,I remove the extra spring from the flapper crank,let it dangle from the bracket it is attached to and re-install the retaining clip on the flapper crank.

Couldn't get the boost below 20-21 pounds with the HD actuator and I'm running 93, The bigger turbos like mine require a odd actuator and I didn't feel like fabing anything up so this helper spring, nut and washer are keeping it right at 17 PSI. No unwanted side effects so far I'll update if anything changes.

View attachment 307802

Can you provide the helper spring specs?

Can you provide the helper spring specs?

It was in a box of random springs laying around my shop (the ID was a precise fit that slid nice on the shaft). It's probably not the perfect length though, since the photo I added a 3/8 inch long aluminum shim (short heavy wall pipe under the nut) to bring the boost down more.

This was just a basic idea for someone who may have been having the same problem as me. Didn't wan't to hurt the new motor while working through other issues.

I think the spring helps with the initial opening of the puck but becomes less effective as it opens because of loss in spring pressure.

Yes I see the same issue. The HD actuator spools faster vs std spring. So I went with HD however same issue can't get boost below 22#. Nice idea...I'll try it.

Last edited:
I made that mod years ago on my Hurst Olds.
View attachment 308012
It has an adjustable nut (thumb wheel) to adjust the boost.

What we've done is a little crude but seems to work..........with some refinement you could really have a very wide range of adjustment.
I really need to get a honest hold it to the floor through all gears to see how it acts.

It seems to me that you need a real "on the street" test to provide you the best results?? Might want to call the E-85 monster located in a neighborhood near you!!!!!! LOL :facepalm:

That's why I left early Sunday........couldn't have you embarrass me in front of everyone.;)

Glad you figured it out, I honestly could not have told you off the top my head. That's bad because I even re tapped a nut to avoid going to the hardware store.