Monster Cap? (farat)

Vigor 87GN

i just bought a half farat cap. for a 500 watt stereo system. hooking it up seems very easy... but charging it is where im lost...

it says it comes with a "resistor" all it came with was the cap/some bolts/and a small peice of metal with some weird little thing in the middle (is this the resistor?)...

another question... now when im going to charge it from the battery, i take my power wire thats in the trunk that hooks up to the amp. i take that, touch it with the resistor, then touch the other end of the resistor to the power cap correct?

audiowizard i beleive you said you had one of these, and after all you are the stereo genius... any advice?

Originally posted by Vigor 87GN
i just bought a half farat cap. for a 500 watt stereo system. hooking it up seems very easy... but charging it is where im lost...

it says it comes with a "resistor" all it came with was the cap/some bolts/and a small peice of metal with some weird little thing in the middle (is this the resistor?)...

another question... now when im going to charge it from the battery, i take my power wire thats in the trunk that hooks up to the amp. i take that, touch it with the resistor, then touch the other end of the resistor to the power cap correct?

audiowizard i beleive you said you had one of these, and after all you are the stereo genius... any advice?
I appreciate the "stereo genious" plug :D .

I actually have 2 1,000 Farad capacitors, one for each amplifier. Yes I know that is "overkill" ;) . That piece of wire that you described is the resistor. Everything you stated is correct. Once you touch your 12 volt power source to the positive side of the capacitor with the resistor. It only takes a few seconds to charge and you are set.

The purpose of the capacitor is discharge power when needed and rapidly re-charges. It is a great benifit to any audio sytem and will help make a difference on supplying power to your amplifiers when they need it. Make sure after you charge it for a few seconds that you check voltage of capacitor with a meter of some sort to make sure that it took the charge.

I am glad that I could help out. I wished that I was a "genious" :p . My friend that I sold my Buick to that is in the magazines is the true genious, I will always be a few steps behind him and a few pounds lighter :D .

When you are done charging the cap. you have to make sure it is connected in parallel with your supply voltage to the amplifiers, it ends up accross the positive and negative terminals of power supplied by your battery. I use about the same size capacitor in my system also, no not the 2 farads, the half farad. :D

Make sure you cover the terminals on the top once you make your connections, you don't really want to grab the top of that thing by mistake, or lay a wrench or piece of metal accross it. :eek:

Depending on your set-up. Its wise to put cap as close to amplifier as possible. Since my gel cell was within 12" of my amps in trunk, I put the caps close to the battery because of its location.

not to poop or your "geniuosness", but don't you mean 2 1 Farad caps, or 2 1,000 milli-farads. ;)

lol, I'm just pickin on ya!

I'll just be your spell checker so to speak (lord have mercy on this board!)

I Know that you are pickin at me ;) . If I had a dime for all my mistakes, I could own another GN :cool: .