Mock up done.......

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Got the last piece of tubing tacked in place. Next is to check the fit on the 85, one more time. Then, it's finish welding time.
I may add a flex joint after I check the fit when it's finish welded. I'm sure it'll move some.

All 304 stainless, except the turbo flange. [T4].
Comments??
Turbo crossover with Vette alt mt 016.jpg
View attachment 168989View attachment 168989
Turbo crossover with Vette alt mt 015.jpg

I gonna ditto that,--------:) can i send my manifolds and have you do me a setup like that.. very simple and to the point,looks great

Looks good Chuck. I would make a bracket to the t4 of the head to hold it in place for welding. Like you said, it's going to move. ;)

Looks good Chuck. I would make a bracket to the t4 of the head to hold it in place for welding. Like you said, it's going to move. ;)

That's next. I'm also working on the w/g piping and a flex coupler.
Once this is all done, I'll have to help somone put an LS in thier TR, so I'll have a place to test it out!:eek::D

Just welded the first 2 split flanges to the pipe. I made an aluminum heat sink, to help reduce warpage in the flanges. Seems it's working.
Here's a couple pics showing it's effectiveness. Note the discoloration where I had to weld about 1" without the sink attached. A significant concentration of heat, vs the sinked welds....
The sink is 1/2" alum plate. It works! I checked temps w/ the IR gun...Even with 1" weld runs, the temps were well over 120*.
Pipes are coated w/ Solar Flux, prior to welding.V band heat sink 001.jpgSplit flange welding heat 002.jpgSplit flange welding heat 001.jpg

Update: the current pass side mock up failed to clear the frame. I've since cut it off, recut the manifold to turn the pipe more toward the engine, and up a bit.
I'm also looking at the poor match of the split flange to the odd shape of the manifold...NOT good for smooth transition into the pipe. [Manifold has a "pear shape to it.] Matching a 2.5" round flange is a BAD choice. I've made an oblong end on a bend, that matches the contour of the manifold. This puts a "collector" on the manifold, and greatly reduces turbulent flow. The dr side needs some "porting" work on the manifold side of the split flange, to help w/ this, too. Next gen will have the "collector" used on it, too. [Already welded.]
A couple pics...
pass side manifold collector mod 001.jpg
pass side manifold collector mod 002.jpg
pass side manifold collector mod 003.jpg
pass side manifold collector mod 004.jpg

Well, the "mock up" didn't do so well... Seems as tho there were a couple problems w/ the fit!:eek::(
Too high for hood clearance.
Angled to match engine install angle...NOPE!
Too close to the core support.

Cut it apart, dropped it 4", rolled it out toward the inner fender, moved it back 2", put it level w/ the ground, and square w/ the ft face of the head.
Results: Over 4" hood clearance, plenty for air intake tract, space for the w/g.
All has been tacked together, along w/ a flex coupler. Back to in- car fit, and finish weld. Will fit the w/g and bracing, next.
Then, next stop is the bender, to see if we can't make this in 2 pieces.:cool:
Mod 2 turbo install 008.jpg
Mod 2 turbo install 009.jpg

Attachments

• Mod 2 turbo install 010.jpg
    Mod 2 turbo install 010.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 176