Minor clunk felt in steering wheel

BoostMasterK

2 boys now, need more GNs
I have a very minor clunking feel in my steering wheel, particularly as I cross center on the wheel. When I shake the (intermediate?) shaft in the engine comparment right by the D/S heads I get a corresponding clunk at the retainer area just outside the firewall. See pic.

The lower bearing adapter (?) has a bit of play within the retainer. It seems like I could shim the retainer clip or something and it would stop clunking. Is that bearing a wearable item or should the retainer be clamping tighter.....?

All else seems normal, the car tracks straight, no vibes, etc. Appreciate any info.

TIA!

Mike

Had to shrink the pic....

Attachments

• SHAFT2.JPG
    SHAFT2.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 109
Update- I removed the retainer(black) and retainer clip, leaving the bearing adapter(white) floating inside the housing (not easily visible in picture).

There didn't appear to be any wear on the bearing adapter yet there was a little play so I removed the adapter and gently clamped on the housing with a channel lock pliers. The adapter reinstalled snug and the play is 75% gone. The remaining play seems to be in the bearing itelf and is probably normal, as I checked another car with higher miles and there was some play.

Hope that helps someone down the road.