Minneapolis - '99 LeSabre engine swap

stevebuick

Hello, I am new to the forum, and looking for a little advice in the Mpls. area. I have a 99 LeSabre, well maintained, that succumbed to the dreaded intake leak and froze the engine. The local garage quotes a replacement used engine with 100K for $4400, with new water pump, hoses, headbolt heater and intake gaskets. I have located an engine with 44K that I would have to retrieve and deliver. Of course the garage won't work with me. Any recommendations for local mechanics that would swap the motor for a slightly more reasonable price? The car is on the north side of Minneapolis. Thanks in advance - Steve

The quote you got for $4,400 is about double what it should cost.

You should be able to find a garage that would do that job for 2K or less.

The quote you got for $4,400 is about double what it should cost.

You should be able to find a garage that would do that job for 2K or less.
Thanks Robzombie - appreciate the comment. I have an engine sourced, just need to locate someone willing/able to do it.

Run away. I have done several of those intake manifolds. I just replace the manifold, pull all the spark plugs out, crank the engine over, replace with new plugs, change the oil and drive it.

Run away. I have done several of those intake manifolds. I just replace the manifold, pull all the spark plugs out, crank the engine over, replace with new plugs, change the oil and drive it.
Thanks! Not being a mechanic, I've done tons of research on the manifold issue - I've got a parts list, recommended things to do/avoid, etc. My problem is the current motor is toast, I've located a low miles (44K) replacement, but can't the garage won't install it. They ARE willing to find a motor (99K) install it and do the manifold gaskets for $4,400. They say they won't install a used motor without a 2 yr. warranty. I need to find someone in Minneapolis who can and is willing to do it.

etriebe is leading you down the right path , if it truly is siezed your not going to hurt it more.

I have bought 3 normally aspirated 3800 series 2 cars that had all been diagnosed by the sellers mechanics as seized engine , cracked head , and blown head gasket respectively... bought each one for under $500 due to cost to repair being estimated high like your case and sold as scrap , in each case I got the car home , removed spark plugs , spun engine over with visible coolant spraying out of cylinders , put another used set of plugs in fired up and ran excellent , about the time the temp gauge moves you need to shut it down or at a minimum when you hear it begin to miss - as soon as the thermostat opens it will begin to dump coolant in the cylinders you don't want to hydrolock it twice. typically it is just the plenum that has failed but when you remove that your only 1 step away from doing the intake manifold gaskets also. Yours could indeed be seized but check it out before you throw in the towel on it these are tough well engineered engines.