Mickey Thompson "Radial Pro"s vs. "ETStreet R"...

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
I went to the GS Nationals last weekend and noticed that a lot of the fast cars were running not slicks but Mickey Thompson's "Radial Pro" tires. I am aware that some of these cars run is classes in which they're not allowed to use anything larger than a 275-60-15 so I checked Mickey Thompson's site to find out a little more about the "Radial Pro"s and they only comes in that size and have "R2" compound. Since I'm running bracket classes and that I'm not constrained to use these size tires, I'd like to use larger tires to be able to take full advantage of the frame notch I had done on my car and I found that these "ET Street R"s which have the same R2 compound but are available in other sizes too ( I'm looking at 325-50-15 's). The thread pattern is very similar and I don't think they'd make a difference in traction...
--> My question is this: Can I expect these ET Street R"s to have as much traction as the "Radial Pro"s considering that they have the same compound?
These are the "Radial Pro"s (available only in 275-60-15): http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialPro
and
These are the "ET Street R"s (available in 325-50-15): http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetR

Thanks for your comments…

Claude.;)

THIS: et_street_radial_pro.jpg OR THIS: et_street_r.jpg ?

I really cant get say too much more,but I will say there are those that race and test multiple sets of tires and the pro was the fastest(y)

My gosh....does anybody actually drive those on the street? I think that pro tire would hydroplane running over a frog

Last week I watched 2 TBs run 9s with MT 275/60s regular drag radials, not the Pro's. Each was making 1.4 or 1.5 60's and pulling the wheels. One of them tried the 325s with frame notched in the past. They told me the 275 performed just as good and don't look so as they put it "race car". Cool thing was both cars drove to the track, ran 9s and drove home. No reason the Pro's can't run much faster.

Last week I watched 2 TBs run 9s with MT 275/60s regular drag radials, not the Pro's. Each was making 1.4 or 1.5 60's and pulling the wheels. One of them tried the 325s with frame notched in the past. They told me the 275 performed just as good and don't look so as they put it "race car". No reason the Pro's can't run much faster.
There cars I saw at BG were running in the TSO class (for the faster cars) and I'm pretty sure that they had better 60ft.times than 1.40 … I also wanted to use the 325's because I spent a good amount of money to have the frame notched and now that's it's done, there's no reason not to benefit from it. As for looking too "race car", by the elapsed times and speeds they're running, it's pretty obvious that they're not street cars… I checked myself and these fast guys were using the "Radial Pro"s, not the standard issue drag radials.

Claude.;)

I ran 6.22@112.6 in the eighth mile with a 1.4 60' launching from the foot brake on 5 psi using the regular 275 60 15 Mickey Thompson drag radials. I'm sure that your car is a little faster than mine though. I weighed in at 3645 lbs with AC and ran 93 octane pump gas and ALKY.

Bryan

The X275 race cars are stupid fast. I wouldn't drive with the Pro's on the street though.

s for looking too "race car", by the elapsed times and speeds they're running, it's pretty obvious that they're not street cars… I checked myself and these fast guys were using the "Radial Pro"s, not the standard issue drag radials.
A local guy here goes low 1.3 60fts on the regular 2756015 on pump gas and a real street car but like I said the pros are faster.

I also wanted to use the 325's because I spent a good amount of money to have the frame notched and now that's it's done, there's no reason not to benefit from it
Try the 325 then and see.not sure what you have done to the rear but mt makes a 30 inch tall 295 and 325 if you really want to lay it down. I have run them both and have a 30 on my car;)

Go to the yellowbullet.com and read the tire section....

You should know that radials require suspension tweaks to get the most out of them. They make a pro bracket radial too now....

You could still benefit from the frame notch by tucking your tires in with a different backspace and lowering the car more than 325s would allow. I drove to the track on the 275 pros, low 1.3s, and drove home. Hoping for 1.2s. Word is that the pros last a lot longer on the street than the regular et radials do. Obviously, don't get caught in rain but I have a second set of rear wheels with Nittos on them for the street.

The 275 pros don't seem to be traction limited with a decent suspension compared to the 325s and the extra weight of the 325s will prob hurt performance.

But being able to slam the rear and tuck the tires in is definitely a benefit for my frame notch. Helps the suspension geometry too...

I love my pro 275's, mid 1.3xx with out breaking a sweat and im sure it would have went 1.300 if I tried but i have the stock carrier and did not want to push it. I never drive in the rain so no concern there but they drive very well on the street much better than the bias ply's i used to run....... Just a bad ass tire plain and simple......I wish they were a bit taller and they would do better on a 10" wheel than the 8" wheels I have now....... 8# foot brake launches.......17 pounds air pressure hot.....

I wish they were a bit taller and they would do better on a 10" wheel than the 8" wheels I have now........
Yeah, that's why I was asking about the "Et Street R"s which are made of the same compound ("R2") as the "Radial Pro"s but are available in more sizes…

Claude.

What kind of pressure do you guys run on the street?
Same 17 # for me. Tire is very stable on the street for me at that pressure. I was going to experiment up and down 1 or 2 pounds at the track but it worked so good right of the trailer I just left it there. Tire is just amazing on my car.

32 on the street, 18 at the track on 8" rims. The wear patten is nice and even.