Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S out of round

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
This is the second set I've put on that have been out of round. I just lived with the vibration on the first set thinking, "Oh, well it's a new design and maybe a bad batch got out there." On the first set, I watched the tech balance them and he wasn't able to get them to completely balance out.

I just had the second set re-balanced after the vibration got almost unbearable. He was able to get one to within a few ounces but the other one to within about 5 oz, after starting out with it being 13 ounces out. It's not very noticeable when it's on the machine but you can see a slight wobble as it's spinning on the balancer. Also, I thought maybe the tires were possibly spinning on the rim, causing an out of balance condition. However, that's not the case. I did some research and it appears there are lots of complaints of this issue from the Vette and Mustang guys but didn't find anything on our forum. Have any of you encountered this?

I'm using the aluminum reproduction rims and there's no reason to believe the rim(s) are out of round since I haven't hit or impacted anything that would cause the rim to warp...and I don't think road force balancing is going to help anything with this issue. When I had the older ET Street design on there, the car would just float down the road like a dream. Went through numerous sets of those with no issues.

This is the second set I've put on that have been out of round. I just lived with the vibration on the first set thinking, "Oh, well it's a new design and maybe a bad batch got out there." On the first set, I watched the tech balance them and he wasn't able to get them to completely balance out.

I just had the second set re-balanced after the vibration got almost unbearable. He was able to get one to within a few ounces but the other one to within about 5 oz, after starting out with it being 13 ounces out. It's not very noticeable when it's on the machine but you can see a slight wobble as it's spinning on the balancer. Also, I thought maybe the tires were possibly spinning on the rim, causing an out of balance condition. However, that's not the case. I did some research and it appears there are lots of complaints of this issue from the Vette and Mustang guys but didn't find anything on our forum. Have any of you encountered this?

I'm using the aluminum reproduction rims and there's no reason to believe the rim(s) are out of round since I haven't hit or impacted anything that would cause the rim to warp...and I don't think road force balancing is going to help anything with this issue. When I had the older ET Street design on there, the car would just float down the road like a dream. Went through numerous sets of those with no issues.
Check your rims anything can happen on the street.i haven't had any issues with my and have had a lot of tires.

The set of MT SS radials I installed on my car also were out of round. I never had a issue with the older model drag radials.

If they are new and truly out of round I would be taking them back to wherever I got them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk