Methanol vers. denatured

Slow91z

Turbobuick.com Helper
Staff member
Methanol vers. Denatured vers. Ethanol

I was wondering about the advantages of both...Availablity, System Compatablity, Actual performance gain...I heard that Meth is bad for the SMC kit...Is their a kit for Meth?? I know where to get Meth and Eth, but I have no idea where to find denatured...Any input would be great I'm looking into whether or not alky is for me.

Denatured is ethanol. It's just been "denatured" with a little methanol to make it un-drinkable.

Denatured ethanol is what paint and hardware stores sell. Denatured ethanol isn't subject to high taxes like drinking ethanol is.

Denatured simply is paint thinner.

Compatability issues are the type of pump, whereas the SMC uses a steel roller vane pump and the DIY kits use the Shure flow plastic diaphram pump. Methanol is very "plastics" compatible but corrossive on anything metallic..unless its been anodized, treated, nickel, or stainless.

Methanol is 2.50 a gallon, denatured can range from 5-10 dollars a gallon.

I use my overflow in my car for container. It has been working great since June this year. The Firebird overflow is 1 1/2 gallons capacity. Dunno bout the Camaro overflow capacity.

Originally posted by Razor

Methanol is 2.50 a gallon, denatured can range from 5-10 dollars a gallon.

Don't be so kind! Even though it works about the same, denatured is always priced closer to $10 a gallon. :p

Originally posted by Razor

Just about any solvent can be a "paint thinner" even water. Xylene is a paint thinner also. Don't simply ask for paint thinner. Denatured alcohol = ethanol.

(Rubbing Alcohol is isopropyl BTW)

Re: Methanol vers. Denatured vers. Ethanol

Originally posted by Slow91z
I know where to get Meth and Eth, but I have no idea where to find denatured...

I was just pointing to the aisle where the product is located..along with other stuff like paint brushes, tolulene, laquer thinner, buckets, tape, etc.. :p

Duct tape is for you b4black :D

Welllll, he said he knew where to find ethanol, sssoooooo therefore he knows where to find denatured. :p

;)

Just trying to make sure everybody's on the same page. :)

Thanks for the input guys...I really want to run Meth, but I guess Eth would do the trick...Thanks for the info guys.

Performance Values...

I run an SMC Dual Alky kit, and my pump has survived a few passes no problem on Methanol and lots of Fuel Uplon. You just increase your mixture to a full ounce when you want to run Methanol. As far as how the car ran with it... :D I was running 13.00s all night (awful 60 foots :( ) and I went to Methanol, and the car cranked out a 12.6 with my letting off 100 feet before the trap because of detonation, my advice to you, play with the Methanol, but be advised the added cooling affect is taken away vs. Denatured... SO you have to find a happy medium in your fuel mixture and boost levels...:cool:

Fort Bragg huh?? Do you know Sgt. 1st Class Steen?? He's not there now, but he was there for a long time in the mid-90's...So denatured cools better then meth??

Re: Performance Values...

Originally posted by Orion231
I run an SMC Dual Alky kit, and my pump has survived a few passes no problem on Methanol and lots of Fuel Uplon. You just increase your mixture to a full ounce when you want to run Methanol. As far as how the car ran with it... :D I was running 13.00s all night (awful 60 foots :( ) and I went to Methanol, and the car cranked out a 12.6 with my letting off 100 feet before the trap because of detonation, my advice to you, play with the Methanol, but be advised the added cooling affect is taken away vs. Denatured... SO you have to find a happy medium in your fuel mixture and boost levels...:cool:

Detonation on a 12.60 run..you need to adjust your tune :)

Maybe you need more alky..less timing..less fuel..

I use to have to add xylene to my gas tank with the SMC kit to run the boost/timing I currently run on straight methanol.

HTH

State of Tune...

Unfortunatley racing at Penwell, TX is not my prefered choice considering it's about 3000 feet and so dry that the density altitude is almost like running in Denver, CO... :( But that time was taken when I first got the kit but I tried to control the conditions as much as possible so I wouldn't have tuning problems, so I tuned it for no injection then slowly added a little here and there... I just got to this post early this year so unfortunatley I do not know a SFC Steen, I just got in from a jump and Flight Landind Strip Clearance mission at Nijmeagen Drop Zone, jumped in at 0015 and completed at 0800 this morning, so needless to say I'm off to sleep for a bit.

Ouch...Sounds like a hard day....Sgt. Steen is my uncle recently retired...He was at Bragg for years.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Don't be so kind! Even though it works about the same, denatured is always priced closer to $10 a gallon. :p

The price depends on the markup where you buy it. I have a friend who works at ACE hardware, so he can buy it for me at cost plus 10%, and it is about $4.50 per gallon. Would be even cheaper if they could get 5 gallon containers.

Chris

Just got some Methanol from the track yesterday at $1.99/gallon. Paid $3.00/gallon at a local speed shop about a month ago. Think I will stick with the track methanol ;). Only thing, people are gonna swear up and down they saw me getting race gas when I tell them I run on pump gas :D .

Originally posted by cjp69
The price depends on the markup where you buy it. I have a friend who works at ACE hardware, so he can buy it for me at cost plus 10%, and it is about $4.50 per gallon. Would be even cheaper if they could get 5 gallon containers.

Chris

I see. We should all cultivate friendships with clerks at ACE hardware. Then we won't have to pay $10 a gallon for Denatured. Sounds simple enough. ;)

Originally posted by Red Regal T
I see. We should all cultivate friendships with clerks at ACE hardware. Then we won't have to pay $10 a gallon for Denatured. Sounds simple enough. ;)

Exactly! Or any other supply store. Many stores will give you better pricing if you place an order for a case or more or in a larger container than they carry.

Chris

I dont know anyone that works at Ace Hardware, yet I pay only $5 a gallon for denatured alcohol....of course I get my stuff from Chris! :D