Mega Squirt PNP release date announced

troyk

A possible release date has been announced, here is a copy of an email I got from DIYautotune.

"Just wanted to give you an update on the Grand National MSPNP. We have set an October 15 release date for it. Final pricing has not been announced yet, but it's going to be in the same vicinity as the existing MSPNP Pro units in the $1199 to $1599 range. I will send more details when they are available. I can tell you that it will have the same 7" x 6" x 2" external dimensions as the units we make for Miatas. Spare I/O will be on a 26 pin connector on the opposite side from the main harness connector.

Matt Cramer DIYAutoTune Support"

I just had an interaction with Mr. Cramer.

The device didn't quite fit into the kickpanel location, so they're shrinking the PCB and have engineered a new case. This has pushed them out a bit. They still think they'll be in production by the end of the year.

I spoke with Mr. Cramer at PRI today. The revised prototype fit perfectly and the first batch of cases has been manufactured and has been sent for anodizing and logo printing. Once they're back they'll go to assembly. Targeting early January for them to be available on the website.

Last edited:
Also got a form factor update. The unit will have the 56-pin connector at the top, along with the barb for the MAP line and the WB o2 input.

The extra inputs will be on the opposite side (bottom as it's mounted in the car). Those of us who have already modified our kick panel for a Powerlogger already have cut the hole in the right spot.

I got mine for beta tasting will be posting some info next week when I get it back from the dyno. But it is in car and everything looks great so far.

I got mine for beta tasting will be posting some info next week when I get it back from the dyno. But it is in car and everything looks great so far.

So YOU'RE the guy that swiped the prototype? Matt told me he'd have had it at the show but somebody swiped it.

:-p

Does it come with a wideband sensor like the FAST Sportsman or is that additional?

If you have an existing WB sensor like a Bosch unit, it will plug into the Megasquirt harness.

The MS isn't like XFI where you need XFI-specific parts (transducers, etc) in order for it to work. It was designed to work with just about all of your stock sensors, so it really is a drop-in type of ECU.

If you have an existing WB sensor like a Bosch unit, it will plug into the Megasquirt harness.

The MS isn't like XFI where you need XFI-specific parts (transducers, etc) in order for it to work. It was designed to work with just about all of your stock sensors, so it really is a drop-in type of ECU.

XFI doesn't require XFI specific transducers... what's the etc part?

The Fast systems are a true drop in style system and works with your factory sensors...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

XFI doesn't require XFI specific transducers... what's the etc part?

The Fast systems are a true drop in style system and works with your factory sensors...

Weird. Whenever I got quotes on an XFI system, whoever it was quoting me always told me I needed to buy their fuel pressure transducer, oil pressure transducer, wideband 02 sensor...

Maybe I didn't word my inquiry correctly? Or maybe they just wanted to sell me everything? I honestly don't know..

Nothing specific about any of the listed..

Wow, that is loaded with features.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It really is.

The fact it is plug and play is really cool.

I want to know what the cost will be to get the MS3 Ultimate box and not the MS3 Pro box. The Ultimate is the version that has all the extra inputs/outputs with extra sensor monitoring/PWM control/CAN network communication/ etc.....

There are other companies that offer the MS3 unit and wiring harness, but it isn't a plug and play unit. However, it is only $950...so I guess the question is; Is having your system plug and play worth $500?

It really is.

The fact it is plug and play is really cool.

I want to know what the cost will be to get the MS3 Ultimate box and not the MS3 Pro box. The Ultimate is the version that has all the extra inputs/outputs with extra sensor monitoring/PWM control/CAN network communication/ etc.....

There are other companies that offer the MS3 unit and wiring harness, but it isn't a plug and play unit. However, it is only $950...so I guess the question is; Is having your system plug and play worth $500?

The PnP has an 18-pin aux connector. We won't know exactly how those pin out until the box ships and somebody can post up the diagram, but it could be a bunch of extra I/O. Wide band O2 only takes one pin, for instance. With 17 pins left, that'll cover extra sensors, PWM fuel pump control, flex fuel sensor, and even wheel speed sensors for TCS with room to spare.

If you still have the factory harness and run a stock style ignition (stock or TR6), then the $500 for the PnP is extremely attractive. You'd have a couple hundred just in parts making a harness for the generic MS3 boxes, plus the time and effort in figuring out the wiring yourself and getting it to run. Then you have to tune it from scratch.

This thing should be plug in, run the line to the on-board MAP sensor, set your injector size in the software, and start the car. If the car runs on your stock ECM, it'll run on this one. That cuts out a ridiculous amount of time and effort. You aren't burning hours troubleshooting wiring, then getting it to start and idle. Even with a heavily modified engine, the maps should be good enough to get the car on the road. You'll be able to drive it to the dyno for final tuning.

And features listed on the website barely scratch the surface. Once you dig into the software you find all kinds of cool stuff. The code supports coolant temp based rev limiter to keep you from over-revving a cold engine; the TCS algorithm is drag strip and salt flat proven; over boost protection where it'll pull timing if the manifold pressure passes the target, even before it knocks; it even has a cylinder enrichment feature that'll add fuel to cool off the pistons if you run extended periods at WOT.

The PnP has an 18-pin aux connector. We won't know exactly how those pin out until the box ships and somebody can post up the diagram, but it could be a bunch of extra I/O. Wide band O2 only takes one pin, for instance. With 17 pins left, that'll cover extra sensors, PWM fuel pump control, flex fuel sensor, and even wheel speed sensors for TCS with room to spare.

If you still have the factory harness and run a stock style ignition (stock or TR6), then the $500 for the PnP is extremely attractive. You'd have a couple hundred just in parts making a harness for the generic MS3 boxes, plus the time and effort in figuring out the wiring yourself and getting it to run. Then you have to tune it from scratch.

This thing should be plug in, run the line to the on-board MAP sensor, set your injector size in the software, and start the car. If the car runs on your stock ECM, it'll run on this one. That cuts out a ridiculous amount of time and effort. You aren't burning hours troubleshooting wiring, then getting it to start and idle. Even with a heavily modified engine, the maps should be good enough to get the car on the road. You'll be able to drive it to the dyno for final tuning.

And features listed on the website barely scratch the surface. Once you dig into the software you find all kinds of cool stuff. The code supports coolant temp based rev limiter to keep you from over-revving a cold engine; the TCS algorithm is drag strip and salt flat proven; over boost protection where it'll pull timing if the manifold pressure passes the target, even before it knocks; it even has a cylinder enrichment feature that'll add fuel to cool off the pistons if you run extended periods at WOT.

I don't think the plug and play box offered is the EVO or the Ultimate setup.(what DIY Auto calls their box. EFI Source calls their "base" box the 'Gold' box, which is like the base MS3 Pro)

If you look at the inputs on the PnP box it does not have any CAN or Serial inputs, which is what the EVO and Ultimate boxes (From DIY Auto) and the Gold Extra box (from EFI Source) have on them.

It looks like the PnP will include the base box, judging from what the wiring connectors look like on the box.

This is some info about the various input/output channels that are included on the EFI Source Gold box. I am not saying that this information pertains to the AMP EFI Plug and Play box. I am simply posting information about a MS3 box that I believe to have similar features as the AMP EFI PnP Box.

• -10 High Impedance injector drivers
  • -10 logic level ignition outputs.
  • -Fuel pump output
  • -Fan output
  • -Stepper and PWM Idle Air Control outputs
  • -2 channels of nitrous control: staged or progressive
  • -Variable Valve timing for up to 4 VVT camshafts
  • -supports over 50 OEM and aftermarket ignition systems
  • -12 volt tach output
  • -3 Step rev limiter
  • -trans brake and stage control
  • -multiple Traction Control strategies
  • -2 Wide Band Oxygen sensor inputs
  • -2 Knock sensor inputs
  • -flex fuel sensor compatible
  • -boost control
  • -water/methon0l injection control
  • -Data Log switch
  • -Dual table switch
  • -3 additional general purpose inputs (on/off or frequency)
  • -1 additional analog input
  • -Link to MS based transmission control through CAN
  • -RacePak compatible
  • -Alternator output
  • -2 new VR inputs (total of 4)
  • -on boards Barometric pressure sensor
  • -real time clock

I totally agree that the $500 is worth the cost of the PnP harness. Especially if you have a lot of aftermarket modifications on your car; TR6, wideband O2, EGT probes, Pressure transducers, etc.

I don't think the plug and play box offered is the EVO or the Ultimate setup.(what DIY Auto calls their box. EFI Source calls their "base" box the 'Gold' box, which is like the base MS3 Pro)

If you look at the inputs on the PnP box it does not have any CAN or Serial inputs, which is what the EVO and Ultimate boxes (From DIY Auto) and the Gold Extra box (from EFI Source) have on them.

They have CAN listed on the PnP's feature list, so I'm guessing it's in the 18 pin aux block.

This is some info about the various input/output channels that are included on the EFI Source Gold box. I am not saying that this information pertains to the AMP EFI Plug and Play box. I am simply posting information about a MS3 box that I believe to have similar features as the AMP EFI PnP Box.

I think AmpEFI, Hoffman Engineering, and DiyAutotune are all the same outfit. Different Wordpress theme on the websites, same content. I think they're the same boxes with a different logo screen printed on the case.

Sorry. A 3+year-NEWB-learner question. Any of these new ECUs like this: are they targeted to hardcore racers only? I have a scan master in my car and I tune with that but as I continue to climb the mod & power ladder and dip deeper into the 11s with a goal of high 10s at some point (but only once to twice per year to the track), I can't help but think that having a way to truly tune this car, get it dyno tuned and becoming more proactive with it and all the safety nets this can add (boost limit, knock limit, etc.) HAS TO BE the way to go?!?!?!?!? Or do I just live with the scan master, the KR reading, the O2 reading, my manual boost adjuster and my Alky dial and pray? LOL.