Media Polishing Process

Walker231T

A couple of moths ago I was reading Muscle Mustang & Fast Fords Nov 2005, there was an article about a process that used some type of media to polish engine parts. It was a 2 or 3 step process, that had to be done, but after the last process it looked like the parts were chrome plated, they were so smooth. They had pictures of rods, valve springs, and rear end gears. Anybody ever heard of this stuff or have a web address?? Anyone ever had it done??

Thanks in advance!

Just taking a guess here, but media polishing sounds like what has been referred to in industry as tumble deburring. Reloaders will sometimes put a little metal polish in with the media when tumble cleaning their shells before reloading. Just a stab.

Wells said:
Just taking a guess here, but media polishing sounds like what has been referred to in industry as tumble deburring. Reloaders will sometimes put a little metal polish in with the media when tumble cleaning their shells before reloading. Just a stab.
---------------------------------------
The tumble deburring process, or media polishing, has been used in the manufacturing industry for years. It basically involves using some type of media in a large vibrator tumbler. Dillon Precision website manufactures and sells a small type of media polisher for ammo reloading, and might give you a rough idea of the process.

Wells said:
---------------------------------------
The tumble deburring process, or media polishing, has been used in the manufacturing industry for years. It basically involves using some type of media in a large vibrator tumbler. Dillon Precision website manufactures and sells a small type of media polisher for ammo reloading, and might give you a rough idea of the process.

Hey Gary

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah it was something like the process your describing. They specialize in engine parts. The company's name started with "M" I believe and they were located in Penn. I think? :confused: If someone has a copy of MM&FF from Nov. 05 the article was in there.