Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge ??'s

OneQuikV6

Automotively bi-curious
Hi all,

I recently ordered a Pro Comp Oil Pressure gauge from Summit to replace the old VDO's that were in my car. By mistake, they sent me the mechanical one instead of the electric. The VDO is electric. Question is: Where do you all get your oil feed from, and what size fittings are needed? I am going to use copper tubing instead of that *$&^$^*#(*&$^*$ plastic tubing that comes with the gauge. :) <--Note the smiley :)

Any help would be appreciated. I have done these before on various other cars, but wasn't sure of the fitting(s) size and once the car is apart, I'll be stuck here at home with no way back to the parts store! Ha!

Most parts stores carries the adapter kit that contains all the usual parts and NPT adapters.
Basically just remove the sending unit for the old gauge and screw in the NPT to tube adapter back in the same place. Then just route the tubing to the gauge.
Don't install the ferral & nut on the gauge end of the tubing till you have the tubing inside the car.

Gary:cool:

Do you really want to be running pressurized oil into your interior? I'd just get an electric gauge.

Originally posted by Jim85IROC
Do you really want to be running pressurized oil into your interior? I'd just get an electric gauge.

Well, yes actually. Mucho more accurate, and if installed right, will NEVER be a problem. I've always used AM gauges and plumbed them with good copper line and never had a problem thus far.

I tapped into the turbo oil feed line with a steel compression branch "tee" (tube - female NPT - tube). From Tee, used AN adapter and ran flex braided teflon (-3 size) with AN ends into the mechanical guage inside.

The steel turbo line was easy to get to, and only about a foot away from the "tee" on the block most people tap into, so the pressure is still accurately monitored.

If you go this route and cut the steel oil feed line, use a sharp tubing cutter and make sure no metal debris finds its way into the tube.

You can wrap the braided teflon with black tape or cover it with black corrugated plastic sleeving, to make it less obtrusive if desired.

Mike,

Wanted to correct the info I provided on The List. I turned my stock turbo feed 90 degrees and put a 90 degree tube-to-pipe adapter on. (For those just tuning in, I installed PTE's remote oil filter kit, so there is no use for the stock turbo oil feed, so I used it for a gauge). Didn't want you to try to twist it 180 degrees like I said initially.

Good luck,
Jim