Mechanic in DFW area

DeeMan707

Hey guys,

Looking to buy a 85 GN in the DFW area, any mechanic recommendations that can do a thorough inspection?

I spoke with Jack Laswell and he actually told me to stay away from 84/85s :( and that he doesn't touch them, only 86/87s

Since I already made travel arrangements, I'm still going to check it out

Any help / info would be appreciated!

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Where I the car located? Guessing DFW.
I'd be looking at door bottoms, rear frame and such for rust. If a ttop car looked for rust there under the trips and in the floor boards from them leaking.
When you arrive, see about the engine being warm already. Could be hiding a hard to start problem. Would want to take it for a spin and see how it handles. It is a 35 yr old vehicle so I am sure it has some wear.
Look at the door , hood and deck lid gaps to see about panel replacement. The hinges will probably be quite worn If they haven't been replaced.
I'd make sure it has the 8.5 axle still under it. And the 2004r has the correct BQ code. At least those have value if the rest is junk.

DeeMan707

Appreciate the info @TexasT its in the Fort Worth area
I'll def be looking into all those areas
When I spoke to Jack he was just telling me about all the issues with that year but I did fail to mention to him that the car has had pretty extensive work done to it (I'm guessing the previous owner had already dealt with those "84/85 issues" back in 09/10 and had only been driven about 6k miles since then in the last 10 years of that work)
New owner, has owned it a couple of years and just has put a couple thousand miles on it and has done alternator and basic's..oil, battery etc since having it
I'll include some of the docs sent to me

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 9.15.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 9.15.02 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 9.15.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 9.15.25 AM.png
    363.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 9.15.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 9.15.50 AM.png
    945.6 KB · Views: 8

TexasT

Somebody spent a LOT of money on her. Who did the work? I don't see a place on those work orders.
Do you have a viewing scheduled?

DeeMan707

Somebody spent a LOT of money on her. Who did the work? I don't see a place on those work orders.
Do you have a viewing scheduled?
Exactly, thats why I'm wondering if the previous owner had already fleshed out the issues that plague those years from what I been told.

1st Photo: Shop called Vintage Automotive - Tire and Auto Repair out of Huntsville, AL
2nd Photo: GBodyParts.com
3rd Photo: Dale's Auto Repair out of Hazel Green, AL

Viewing is scheduled for this weekend, I fly into Dallas tomorrow afternoon, hoping to get a quick viewing tomorrow, and a full view on Saturday morning, cold start, proper drive around, inspect as much as the body as possible etc and I leave Sunday afternoon

DeeMan707

I also called "Turbo Lou" today since hes the local GN expert in my area..also said stay away from these years, its like damn 2 guys that are telling me to stay away :( i tried to see if he would look over these receipts but he shut me down :ROFLMAO:

TexasT

I hope I'm not asking too much but how did this car come from Al to Tx? Is there a story or just the owner moved?
An 84/85 doesn't have "problems" but is pretty different than an 86/87 as far as how it is equipped. The "hot air" cars don't have an intercooler and the way the turbo is installed is different than the intercooler 86/87.
These units make great cruisers. Just aren't as quick or easy to make quicker that the 86/87 units are. The part support and as you have found the people who work on em just isn't there. Just have to be aware of what you are putting your money into. The 84/85 just don't have the value the 86/87 ones do.

DeeMan707

I hope I'm not asking too much but how did this car come from Al to Tx? Is there a story or just the owner moved?
An 84/85 doesn't have "problems" but is pretty different than an 86/87 as far as how it is equipped. The "hot air" cars don't have an intercooler and the way the turbo is installed is different than the intercooler 86/87.
These units make great cruisers. Just aren't as quick or easy to make quicker that the 86/87 units are. The part support and as you have found the people who work on em just isn't there. Just have to be aware of what you are putting your money into. The 84/85 just don't have the value the 86/87 ones do.
Not at all, the Texas buyer purchased it from the previous owner in AL and drove it back home to TX with no issues he said.

Ah ok makes sense now..well the intention was to go down to view it, drive it, check it out and ship it back out to me as I'm based in So Cal.

I'm not looking for a racer, or anything that needs to run certain times etc...Ima cruiser type of guy, I want something that looks great, runs good isn't gonna leave me and my family out in the middle of nowhere on a day we take it out for a ride.

I was pretty aware that the higher priced cars are def the 86/87s...for one thats in pretty good shape what would you ballpark the price to be? it does have 55k OG miles on it as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 11.35.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 11.35.17 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 11.35.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 11.35.45 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 11.36.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 11.36.23 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 11.36.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 11.36.38 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 11.37.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 11.37.09 AM.png
    932.5 KB · Views: 11

TexasT

Looks like a solid ride. Be sure to look under those ttops for rust. It is a cc1 for those ttops, has we2 indicating a grand national. Doesn't have a g80 posi from the factory. Though one could have been added.
If it is a nice paint job and runs and drives well, interior is nice it could be $10-15000. Gbody stuff isn't cheap any more.

DeeMan707

Looks like a solid ride. Be sure to look under those ttops for rust. It is a cc1 for those ttops, has we2 indicating a grand national. Doesn't have a g80 posi from the factory. Though one could have been added.
If it is a nice paint job and runs and drives well, interior is nice it could be $10-15000. Gbody stuff isn't cheap any more.
Appreciate the insight! Speaking to those guys definitely popped my bubble a bit lol..but ill take it with a grain of salt.. it has me conflicted since it was such a negative reaction tbh.
But since Im going there tomorrow hopefully I can dive into the car more

TexasT

Not sure of your background or how car centric you are but the difference in the 84/85 vs 86/87 is kinda like the difference in a small block gs350, or the like vs a GS455, ss454 , or 442 with 455 . The higher cube car commands more like the intercooled 86/87 does.
It doesn't mean the small block or 84/85 cars are bad. Just not in the same league or price range.