Measuring mains

psycho6cyl

Ponies Are For Lil Girls
I'm going to have to tear out bottom end to possibly rehone a cylinder. Do I have to remeasure everything? Or when I put back together just put caps in right places and torque accordingly?

Really depends on what the bearings look like and/or how much you want to know. Lol.

I'd measure the main bores themselves, then with the bearings installed. If your caps have deflected a thou and your bearings 'only' have 1/2 thou of wear, you might have just tripled your clearances and not known it.

Get a set of inexpensive micrometers and dial bore gauge if you have none and check everything. Leave nothing to chance and you will come out ahead.

Get a set of inexpensive micrometers and dial bore gauge if you have none and check everything. Leave nothing to chance and you will come out ahead.

What do I base it on? How do I know if it's good or bad? I'm so lost don't have the $ to take it to someone and if I sell as is I take a huge loss..

You can search on here for bearing clearances and piston to wall clearance. If the engine is out of the car and the crank is out, you can check clearances the right way with the micrometers and the dial bore gauge. If it's in the car and you have no micrometer or bore gauge, you can use plastigauge to measure bearing clearances. You really need a bore gauge to check your cylinders for out of round and taper. The best thing to do is go to YouTube. There are lots of videos that show the correct way to check everything, and the low buck way, which is not always the right way, but may get you up and running.

You can search on here for bearing clearances and piston to wall clearance. If the engine is out of the car and the crank is out, you can check clearances the right way with the micrometers and the dial bore gauge. If it's in the car and you have no micrometer or bore gauge, you can use plastigauge to measure bearing clearances. You really need a bore gauge to check your cylinders for out of round and taper. The best thing to do is go to YouTube. There are lots of videos that show the correct way to check everything, and the low buck way, which is not always the right way, but may get you up and running.

Thx ek