MD/VA/DC area TR owners as well as anyone interested in a 9/11 Cruise

gn85

You've gotta try this!
Hello everyone,

I started a thread several months ago inquiring about interest from this group in a joint cruise to the Pentagon with the F-body group "F-body hideout".

I, myself, wish I had known about this last summer as I was in the area at the time and would have gladly participated.

So a few days ago I sent an email to the webmaster of www.f-bodyhideout.com. This morning I received a very nice reply welcoming us to join.

From what I understand this cruise was originally an F-body cruise. Then it was opened to Mustangs and Corvettes. Now it is open to 'domestic cars'.

The webmaster, "Gonzo", has started a thread on their forum about this cruise. I will be participating in this thread as well and communicate with their members about the organization of this cruise to the Pentagon. Plans are getting started now to get permissions to cruise to the Pentagon as well as setting up meeting points, routes, logistics, etc.

Here are some links with information and a video about this cruise.

If anyone has any questions, please either post them here or PM me.

Just so everyone knows, at the moment, I am NOT in the United States, however, I've lived in Maryland most of my life and my GN is there. But I can and will still handle things from here in Germany and I will be returning to the states around the end of July for my 'summer visit'.

Current thread--

http://www.f-bodyhideout.com/ubbthr...r=32328&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Video--

http://www.f-bodyhideout.com/videos.htm

If this link does not work, go to www.f-bodyhideout.com and go to video selection on the left side and you will see the video in this list.

Past threads--

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110353&highlight=9/11+Cruise

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110413

I really hope everyone in the area will consider joining this cruise. I was really impressed with the video and organization of this activity. It's something that I would like to participate in and I'm sure others here as well would like to show their pride and resolve to not forget this horrible day. Regardless of your political views now with the war on Iraq or Afganistan, this is a day to put everything aside and show your pride and show your ride.

Take care.

I am game for the event. I was going to attend it last year with the Camaro but I was unable to get the day off.

I had to the day off that day and even had the GN, but didn't find out about it until too late.

I think there will be a lot of cars/people showing up this year because it's on a Saturday.

Hopefully the beltway traffic will be a little better too!

I agree, I think this year there will be alot more people also thanks to all of the advertising.

Saturday traffic should not be to bad hopefully.

Originally posted by 87GN_ponykillr
I agree, I think this year there will be alot more people also thanks to all of the advertising.

Saturday traffic should not be to bad hopefully.

LOL. Advertising!! Never thought of myself as an advertisement. :) Hopefully within the next month I'll have more information.

LOL, well it looks like you are now :D
I will talk it up around town when you get the full scoop, I'm sure I can get quite a nice group together :cool:

I just got more word that people are coming from the Carolinas and even possibly from Canada.

Ruh roh.... this is turning into a BIG event.

I suppose I am the advertisement for this now.

Whoever is interested, please post or PM me your email address... when I find out more (hopefully in the next few weeks) I'll send info out.

**UPDATE**

Hello everyone,

I've just got a message with more information about this event.

Activity information:

I just found out this is going to be an all day event. Since Sept. 11 falls on a Saturday this year, there will be plenty of time and many people will be off. There will be grilling, volleyball, badmitton, etc. Of course, we're not limited to this. That afternoon/evening the cruise "Ride for Pride" will take place along a route that is low on traffic and easy on cars. This will take us to the parking lot of the Pentagon where there will be a vigil in the parking lot. As I understand we will actually be very close to the building and memorial area. More details still to come.

So far, this has not been carved in stone, but the proposed location during the day will be Fort Hunt Park which is right outside of Alexandria, Virginia. The cruise route will be along the GW Parkway providing views of the Potomac river and Washington DC.
More details still to come.

Fort Hunt Park -- Park Service website

Cost:

Naturally a question/concern on everyones mind. But there is an easy answer that I have so far. You, of course, will cover expenses for your gas, lodging, tolls, etc. However, for the actual event, there is no actual price for the event. The park itself generally free. Unless specific reservation plans are made for shelter and so on. Bring your own food and beverages. I think this makes things a lot easier as far as who gets what money and questions/conflicts about prices.

This is all the information I have so far.

Please send me a PM if you have any further questions.

sept 11th fall on a sat huh?
more than enough time to plan anyways! I'M DEF IN!!!!!
keep this thread TTT'd

-nero-

ps- TTT ;)

Originally posted by nero
sept 11th fall on a sat huh?
more than enough time to plan anyways! I'M DEF IN!!!!!
keep this thread TTT'd

-nero-

ps- TTT ;)

I see you're from Silver Spring. Welcome aboard. I used to live near there as well. There are a boatload of Buick people in that area. I hope you get hooked up with them if you haven't already. A good bunch of people.

As you can see, I'm not even in the country, but I'll be back soon. Obviously by 9/11. :)

Take care, welcome aboard, and thanks for the TTT.

Originally posted by Vector
I am not sure if I can make it yet...
Are Pontiac Grand Prix GTP's allowed?

As I had it explained to me, all domestics would be welcome. I can check to make sure that includes FWD cars. I don't want to be the one to make the admission rules as this is not my event, but I can sure find out for ya.

If you look at the video, it's mostly Mustangs, Camaro's, Firebirds and Vettes. I've been assured that TRs are more then welcome.

Originally posted by Zero Tolerance
Chris, Thanks for posting this.
I would love to attend. I'll keep the date open.
Steve

I've been promoting this thing like crazy, but I have to send props out to TorchTA for bringing this up in turbobuick.com originally.

Thanks for marking your calendar. Please spread the word.

gn85, I was kidding...I'm sure all proud Americans are welcome to attend - just a guess, it isn't my event either.

If I hadn't totalled the Harley, I would ride that to the event.

I have done Rolling Thunder; I can tell you from experience that the Pentagon parking lot has zero shade and if it is sunny the event will be pounded by the sun; there are no shops close by so be certain to bring plenty of cold water to drink because there will be non to buy; bring a portable radio or something; bring a folding chair; use plenty of sun-block.

Originally posted by Vector
gn85, I was kidding...I'm sure all proud Americans are welcome to attend - just a guess, it isn't my event either.

If I hadn't totalled the Harley, I would ride that to the event.

I have done Rolling Thunder; I can tell you from experience that the Pentagon parking lot has zero shade and if it is sunny the event will be pounded by the sun; there are no shops close by so be certain to bring plenty of cold water to drink because there will be non to buy; bring a portable radio or something; bring a folding chair; use plenty of sun-block.

Yes, proud Americans are invited of course. But for the 'cruise', cars that are allowed will be domestics... preferably with power (I hope my car makes the cut :)).

Good point about the Pentagon parking lot, but we're not actually going to be there thru the day. There is a park nearby in Alexandria where the day will be spent. There will be BBQ, games and things to do during the day. Since this is a Saturday, this is the first time an all day event has been attempted. The cruise to the Pentagon will be in the evening hours with a candlelight vigil at the Pentagon. So, sun won't be an issue there, nor refreshments.