Marbles in a Can for a second?

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
Long story short. Have a GN with no history but it's well modded. Upon start up, roughly 10 seconds after it's running it sounds like marbles spinning around the torque converter for about 1 second. Only does it cold or after sitting a long time. Like overnight. I have no reason to believe it's the engine as it carries good oil pressure hit and cold. Has 80psi oil pressure when the noise happens. Plan to look at the flex plate but what are some other things to check?
The converter is unknown aside from it's a lockup and it's purple. When it locks in OD it provides whiplash even at light throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like it might be a multi disk Vigilante converter. I've never owned one personally but I'd ready about the rattles and noise for over a decade.

I'd remove the torque converter bolts and slide it away from the flexplate. That will eliminate the engine as the culprit. If the bolts aren't tight, you found your problem.

Also make sure the bolt heads pull tight against the flex plate. If they're a couple threads too long, they can bottom out before fully clamping down on the flexplate.

When it locks in OD it provides whiplash even at light throttle.
It does this because the encapsulated check ball,that resides in the front of the input shaft has been removed. If you ever remove the trans,install a check ball for a 700R4 trans. It bleeds of faster than the stock 2004R,resulting in a faster than stock clutch apply without being too harsh.

Sounds like it might be a multi disk Vigilante converter. I've never owned one personally but I'd ready about the rattles and noise for over a decade.

I'd remove the torque converter bolts and slide it away from the flexplate. That will eliminate the engine as the culprit. If the bolts aren't tight, you found your problem.

Also make sure the bolt heads pull tight against the flex plate. If they're a couple threads too long, they can bottom out before fully clamping down on the flexplate.

Thanks for the input, I did some searches and found some threads on this as well. I will unhook the converter and see what happens.

It does this because the encapsulated check ball,that resides in the front of the input shaft has been removed. If you ever remove the trans,install a check ball for a 700R4 trans. It bleeds of faster than the stock 2004R,resulting in a faster than stock clutch apply without being too harsh.

Thanks for the info. I am pulling the engine to reseal and detail things. I'll check for the check ball. Thanks again!