Manual Boost Controller

After wanting something easier to adjust than the RJC Racing MBC I mounted a Hallman style MBC on the back side of the the turbo shield bracket using a piece aluminum 1/8" thick by 1" wide. I bent the aluminum in an "L" 1" X 2 1/4" with the corner of the short leg trimmed and painted black of course.

IMG_3951.JPG

Mounted
IMG_3953.JPG

Snuggled in next to the skid pad approved vertical breather.
IMG_3955.JPG

Almost undetectable to the untrained eye.
IMG_3960.JPG

And maybe I'll mount it inside the car later.

Edited size to 2 1/4" (I forgot I shortened it a 1/2" to clear the metal heater tube).

Last edited:
X2 on the Hallman. Offers 1/4# boost adjustability with the turn of a dial and the precision of clicks to know how far you've turned it.
I mounted mine about the same as GX1.

Quick question on running a manual controller. I'm currently running a TT chip and boost is 20psi. In order to achieve 23/25 psi do I adjust my wastegate actuator rod accordingly or run a Hallman controller? And when/if I run a Hallman, do I delete the fact boost solenoid? I'm looking for the safest route. Thanks.

If you run a Hallman you will no longer need the factory boost solenoid, but if you remove it, the car will constantly kick a code. That's why you see many of the cars with a manual BC and the stock one still attached to the valve cover. Mine is still there so it won't kick a code.

Quick question on running a manual controller. I'm currently running a TT chip and boost is 20psi. In order to achieve 23/25 psi do I adjust my wastegate actuator rod accordingly or run a Hallman controller? And when/if I run a Hallman, do I delete the fact boost solenoid? I'm looking for the safest route. Thanks.

I have run 20psi on race fuel w/ the solenoid by making the standard actuator adjustable. (I heard bad things happen at more than that, but that was with the stock chip back in the late '80's)
With the TA49 I had to open up the wastegate hole in the turbo to 1.25" to keep the boost that low.

Now that I want to run 25+ on E85 it seems to be a balance of wastegate hole size (.95" ish) and spring tension on the wastegate actuator so the exhaust pressure doesn't blow the puck open and adjusting the manual boost controller while bypassing the boost solenoid.

I bought a wastegate block off plate, made a smaller hole and am starting over.
This part is somewhat new to me so take it with a grain of salt.
Thank god for the search function.

Last edited:

You may be able to adjust your wastegate rod up to 25psi, but the general consensus is that running a MBC and bypassing the boost solenoid will provide quicker spool up.

I wonder if the chip keeps the CEL off.

That could be it......

Mine's not hurting anything where it is, so I'm not going to fix what isn't broken. Same with my EGR module. The intake is blocked off, but the module stayed right where it is. No reason to remove it.

I bought a Hallman from TurboTGuy and it works great , I mounted mine on the right side of the radiator close to where my Translator . It took some long vacumm lines but other than that it was pretty simple to mount .