major oil leak

tbkustomz

Turbo_T
so i took out the 87 gn for spin yesterday im not going to lie i got on it a little bit and i think i was at 8 to 10 pounds of boost and a lot of sudden a lot of smoke came from my engine carpetment but no noise or pop car still made it to the house no problem but i noticed it was leaking oil from the pass side by the starter it seems..i thought something caught on fire good thing i was around the corner from my house so wen i got to my house i turned off the car and oil was leaking like crazy (motoroil) fired it back up and pulled it inside my garage....
i have no clue wtf it could be i finally got it running right and now his happens..smh
any ideas or experiences from anybody is much appreciated thanks

Damn. If ALL the oil came out I would suspect something down low. Oil pan gasket,oil pump, rear main, front cover. Degrease the motor real good put in new oil, let idle, and look to see where it is coming from. That is if course if you haven't damaged anything by loosing all the oil.

i was going to sell it the night before too but i decided to paint it and hopefully go on a couple of cruises with my wife this sucks balls man..

is their any liquid i can buy that if i poor in the block i will see it were ever it leaks from..color wise or something

I would check the OEM Oil Sensor - located under the turbocharger.

They have a tendancy to deteiorate with age and "blow their load". Mine certainly did.

Attachments

• Buick_Oil_Sensors.jpg
    Buick_Oil_Sensors.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 225
Check the oil cooler adapter, if you install an oil filter too tight when you change the oil sometimes it can unscrew the adapter fitting and the O ring will leak drastically and you lose the oil quickly.

Before refilling take off the filter and check to make sure the adapter fitting is tight with a wrench.

You running the biggie oil adapter fitting?

I had a major oil leak when I first bought my car at the timing cover. Ended up being on the return side from the pump. It was a heck of a leak.

Check the oil cooler adapter, if you install an oil filter too tight when you change the oil sometimes it can unscrew the adapter fitting and the O ring will leak drastically and you lose the oil quickly.

Before refilling take off the filter and check to make sure the adapter fitting is tight with a wrench.

You running the biggie oil adapter fitting?
I once drove 150 miles back home, pulled into my driveway and found a huge oil leak. I was lucky I didn't have to drive another 5 miles or I might have run my car dry. Turned out to be the oil cooler adapter. I think it leaked where the seam runs up the side. Had to go find a used one as they are discontinued.

What I do:
Pull the turbo cover (if you're running one - not sure on the water cooled unit), pull the MAF tube, etc.
Rubber band a baggie to the turbo inlet.
Make nice to the rat's nest of wire harness at the Cam sensor and tuck it up closer to the driver's side valve cover.
Do a decent job of degreasing / powerwashing
I even unplug the oil pressure connector after power washing and get it out of the way so I can peer down there.
I don't know I actually re-routed any of my wiring sensor harness connectors vs stock, but all of my sensor wires stay high and then run down to where they need to go. Except for cam sensor and TCC ( I think) which have to run down next to the water pump. This helps to keep things neater and easier to see up and around that passengers sife timing cover area.
If I had to, I'd re-route my actuator vacuum lines if I needed to get them out of the way, but they don't really intefere with line of sight, except for the Y orrifice junction which blocks my sight a little.
And I have a factory location intercooler, and always jealous of the front mounted guys who have more room.

One of the board members recommends dusting it with foot powder.
I asked if it had to be GoldBond foot powder to cure the itch, but I think any will do.
Baby powder probably even
And it actually makes sense as an idea since when it is dry and dusted, you should pretty much be able to spot the leak.
But by the sounds of the leak, you should see it without any of the above.
But it is crowded over there under the turbo.
And there are more than a few oiling ports and such over there.
And if it's greasy, it might not be apparent.

You asked if you could use the stuff you already had in your medicine cabinet to treat your jock itch :)

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/oil-leaking-down-front-of-engine.387314/#post-3122544

One of my old GM Buddies taught me that trick. The trans fluid would accumulate around the perimiter of the trans pan and I could not tell where the leak was originating from - until I sprayed some aerosol foot powder on everything after I cleaned it all up.

Ended-up being the selector shaft seal for the gear selector.

He even had a special tool to remove that seal without aggravation.

You asked if you could use the stuff you already had in your medicine cabinet to treat your jock itch :)

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/oil-leaking-down-front-of-engine.387314/#post-3122544

One of my old GM Buddies taught me that trick. The trans fluid would accumulate around the perimiter of the trans pan and I could not tell where the leak was originating from - until I sprayed some aerosol foot powder on everything after I cleaned it all up.

Ended-up being the selector shaft seal for the gear selector.

He even had a special tool to remove that seal without aggravation.

LOL - I do not recal specifiyng the particualr itch - or the region - but darned - you have a good memory! :)

To tell you the truth - I wasn't sold on that idea, as I thought it was like baby poder - shaking it all over the place.
Now I got it.
The shoe type foot spray / in an aerosol can.
Makes total sense.

And much, much cleaner than dusting my entire engine bay with a whole jug of Dollar Tree baby powder I mgiht add!
Now do you have any handy uses for diapers?

well i woke up sunday morning around 8 am and i put my mechanic work close..thanks for all the advice the first thing i did was tryin to see were the most oil was at...their was a lot on my control arm and a lot going towards my starter ...im like wtf...so i took off my radiator hose of that goes to the pump...to get closer look i grabbed the oil sensor and that thing was loose so i crossed my fingers i grabbed my 16 wrench and as soon as i tried taking it off it broke...so i guess it was already broke .. i said to my self please let this be the problem lol...make story short i took off the sensor and just made it work with out most of pieces just to screw it back in to test it if any more oil would leak.....poured in my 6 quarts fired her up and walllllllaaaa...no oil leak ..made my day until the dam forty niners won....lol...you guys have a good week and thanks for all the advice..
IMG_2250_zpsc8c1124d.jpg

IMG_2251_zps0925287a.jpg

I have oil spill out of my breathers onto my passenger side header when I get under boost. So your saying every bit of oil is spilled out of your motor?