MAF vs XFI Questions

Stamos

I'm at a crossroads with my current set up (in my sig). Should I pop for the Powerlogger , a wideband and a laptop to get the most out of my current set up or just wait til I have the money and go XFI?

I'm at a crossroads with my current set up (in my sig). Should I pop for the Powerlogger , a wideband and a laptop to get the most out of my current set up or just wait til I have the money and go XFI?
XFI all the way!! Then you can call Cal from Hartline and he can tune your car without even being there. I have had both and to me, XFI is a much better system all around tuning wise.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Define crossroads?

XFI all the way!! Then you can call Cal from Hartline and he can tune your car without even being there. I have had both and to me, XFI is a much better system all around tuning wise.

That depends on what you need.

You can go pretty fast with the stock ECM & wideband. It works for me !!

Stock ECM all the way. You can go plenty fast...and tune it easily yourself with PL and one of Erics chips.

That depends on what you need.
My car is nothing special. It cruises around town, go to the strip, cold AC the works. As I said I had the Power Logger with both Eric's chip and Steve's 16 position chip and from my experience XFI is better and much more user friendly. The self learning feature is an amazing tool and the nice thing is that XFI can be used on almost any automotive foundation so anyone that has experience with FAST XFI can assist with any questions.

Sorry guys I should have included more details. I'm currently running 11:40-11:50's @ 118mph. Car is full weight street car and I plan on keeping it that way. I've got the TT 65# street gas/alky chip in the car now and it runs fine, but I know there is more left in it. Cost-wise going to the XFI will be more versus the PL, but is the XFI that much better for my goals?

I would look at the FAST sportsman the cal sells now. by the time you go powerlogger with all the addons you'll be in the price of a sportsman.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

From the replies it's looking like I should just save my money for a good set of heads.

Thanks guys!

Holy chit! A thread that pertains to me....subscribing as I am in the same boat, but I think I have made my mind up. I know there is more in mine but I have to actually learn to tune it and get the most out of it first. Stamos; like you...my car will probably do in that area I am sure but only difference is that I have all the stuff PL / laptop etc. I just need to get off the pot, stop trying to take the easy way out and read, read, read. I am saying this about you--I am just relaying my lazy habits. And I have a set of Champion ported irons sitting on it.

OP, you never stated your goals. Like a few above, high 9's, stock ecm, Precision chip, Direct Scan. Power is in the heads but these new turbos make the job a litlle easier than the old school ones.

Power is in the heads.........

That is a very true statement, BUT, to go faster and be reliable, you need data to tune properly so a Powerlogger or Sportsman XFI will be mandatory for you to optimize your tune, and watch for issues like too lean at WOT?

A big advantage of the Sportsman ECM is it has self-learning and adaptable self-tuning like the current modern cars.

The 30+ year-old factory computer updated with Powerlogger still cannot match the Sportsman computer for performance.

IMOP it doesn't really matter what his power goal is. I think it's good that he's wanting to tune and make sure he's getting the most out of his car as for the tuning aspect of it. I Have personally run almost every type of chip and add on for the stock ecm. Now I just go straight to my ECU of choice. Power can be made no matter what way you choose but I say think down the road 5 years and what your goals are.

IMOP at the end of the day you really need to have a Wideband 02 with a ecm that can add or subtract fuel (powerlooger,xfi,sportman,haltech,etc) to take full advantage of your mods and get the most out of your car.

That is a very true statement, BUT, to go faster and be reliable, you need data to tune properly so a Powerlogger or Sportsman XFI will be mandatory for you to optimize your tune, and watch for issues like too lean at WOT?

A big advantage of the Sportsman ECM is it has self-learning and adaptable self-tuning like the current modern cars.

The 30+ year-old factory computer updated with Powerlogger still cannot match the Sportsman computer for performance.
Beat me to my second post. Was typing it out

My car is nothing special. It cruises around town, go to the strip, cold AC the works. As I said I had the Power Logger with both Eric's chip and Steve's 16 position chip and from my experience XFI is better and much more user friendly. The self learning feature is an amazing tool and the nice thing is that XFI can be used on almost any automotive foundation so anyone that has experience with FAST XFI can assist with any questions.

Maf will cars keep a tighter Afr on the street especially in stop and go.when the tune is right it's right. It can be done on an stock ecm $85 chip or a high dollar aftermarket computer.

X2! … The only difference is that I had mine installed and tuned by Jack Cotton. (y)

Claude.