MAF Translator Problems

Who Needs 8

I haven't been around these parts in a while. I'm not dead, yet. ;)

My TTA has been running great all these years. About 6 years ago, the MAF crapped out. I found a reman stock MAF from Kirban I believe and opted to go with that instead of going to the MAF Translator.

Well, the MAF crapped out again. So I decided to get the MAF translator. It's not working.

I went with the 3" LT1 remanufactured MAF from Kirban. After finding instructions that made freaking sense, I turned the Base to #3. Tried to start the car and it barely worked. I got a rich O2 code once it kind of ran for a while. So I turned the Base to #5 (leaner at idle) and it ran great while in open mode. Then when it hit closed, the BLM dropped to 105 and the car crapped out. I can't touch the throttle without it hiccupping.

The chip is custom. That might be the problem because I didn't have it customized, the previous owner did about 20 years ago. I did set the Mode to "stock or other" ON ON ON OFF.

I've recorded the scanmaster while idling here:

Any help would be appreciated. It's been a while since I've had to problem solve this car. I'm out of practice.

TurboBob

Resident mad scientist
Staff member
it sounds like you have the settings correct, but the MAF reading on the Scanmaster ('AF') is reading too high.

reman MAFs (stock GN, and the modern ones) are a bit of a craps-shoot it seems. Do you have any local turbo-guys that can let you try their MAF?

One other test, key on, engine off, look at AF on the Scanmaster, press the throttle and see if the AF reading changes.

Bob

Who Needs 8

One other test, key on, engine off, look at AF on the Scanmaster, press the throttle and see if the AF reading changes.

Bob

No, the AF reading did not change when I pressed the throttle. With the engine off, AF was 225

I've been out of the "car scene" for about 10 years. I'm in Dallas, so I know there are plenty of turbo guys around.

TurboBob

Resident mad scientist
Staff member
225 is very wrong, should be 3 you might want to wiggle the harnesses and tap on the MAF and see if it changes.

Bob

Who Needs 8

It was the remain MAF. I bought a New Delco MAF from Amazon and it works great. Maybe it's just me but she feels quicker to spool up, too.

I try to support small business, but ended up the massive overlords saved the day for $40 less. :LOL: After the $14 to return the reman to Kirban, I guess it'll be $26 bucks less.

Thanks for your help, Bob!