MAF trans question

TylerDurden

Jack's Smirking Revenge
I do apologize if this has been covered (actually it has been) but the searching/info I have found is not clear on this answer.

If you use a translator (not plus) with the LT1 maf and do NOT use an extender chip....do the idle and wot settings work within the trans itself? ie can i add fuel at wot if i need to get my o2 mv up a tad?

Dan, yes, the idle and WOT dials work. The deal with the extender comes into play on the 3rd dipswitch..labeled "Limiter" I think, which means the values will be halved and the chip (extender) will know what to do with the values. Otherwise the translator acts like a standard MAF. The IDLE and WOT knobs simply skew the readings a bit to richen/lean those areas.

If theres anything I missed, or am wrong on, I'm sure Bob will see this and help you out.

thanks jim, you are the 2nd person to say the same thing, so I think I know what the deal is now....

i have to disagree with the WOT part
if your lv8 and maf are maxed at 255 as is done on some chips under WOT
then
at WOT the MAF is useless and your running based on preprogrammed fuel maps so how can any setting on the translator have any effect on WOT???????

i can see if you are unable to max out the maf at 255 and dont have a chip that holds the MAF and LV8 at 255 during WOT and have a chip that runs off MAF reading at WOT then i guess it would but whose chip besides the extender works like that.

please enlighten me

The adjustments will still have an effect up to the point where you hit 255 so you can still richen and leanout the fuel curve up to that point but as you said, once you hit 255 your stuck with the PE RPM fuel and fuel addition per time tables. So if you have a car running more than about 17-18 psi then the adjustmets basically let you tune spool and first gear fuel and thats about it unless the maf drops below 255 on the shifts where it would still have some control.

Pacecarta: Depends on how and at what point the chip makers code is locking the maf as to how long on the way to this lock the translator fuel control is in effect.

Depends on how and at what point the chip makers code is locking the maf as to how long on the way to this lock the translator fuel control is in effect

that would be for about 2seconds on a walkout launch and only in first gear which isnt where the concern of low o2 (insufficient fuel ) worries me or the original poster , if it doesnt improve 3rd gear wot its a useless feature

with a restrictive system of stock turbo, stock dp , stock maf ,i/c , and D5 converter (30lb inj and alky) i was maxed out at 3950 rpms and going to a 3.5 inlet wont help as youll see 255 sooner .

i have a translator now for this season and like it much since now i can run any maf but theres no way i see that altering the MAF (skewwing the frequency) with the translator will have an effect on WOT without an extender chip ,
TT chips lock MAF LV8 once i reach 255gm/sec if the tps stays high the maf could be switched off for all the good it does.

the question was will setting the WOT alter the o2s (as in provide more fuel ) at WOT (not part throttle, not cruise) i still say no, how could it unless the chip runs off a readable maf signal at WOT as the extender does by doubling the range .

For your question: once the maf hits 255 a non extender chiped translator setup cannot alter the o2's nor add any additional fuel. When it hits 255 its all done. Like I said, the WOT adjustment basically becomes a spool fuel adjustment or 0-15MPH fuel adjustment once your to the point of getting to 255 in 2 or so seconds.

Thats one reason I developed my chip for the standard transator setup I went to. I started doing my own chips before I got the xlator so I didn't want to go with an extender and be locked into a chip I couldn't adjust the code in although its a great chip all by itself. So for me now, it doesn't matter if the maf is pegged, fuel is based off the PE RPM tables and then realtime fuel adjustments are done based on the wideband data coming into the ecm to correct for the adjustable A/F ratio I set it to run.

thanks mark , that should clear up the WOT O2 question as far as non extender chips.

Like Mark said, you may not benefit from the WOT one if you're not stock, but point is, it does work. All it does is add/subtract PP counts at a certain pp count range. If you're above that range, it wont help you, but it does work. And that was the question.