MAF in the up pipe

8AV8

Banned
What advantage (or not) is there to putting the MAF in the up pipe.Will freeing the restriction in the inlet to the turbo increase spool? I still have a stock MAF and will be going to a 3.5 LS1 MAF sometime this year. I may try this with the LS1 unit.

I have not tried it but from what I understand some guys have seen quicker throttle responce.

I think I saw one post on here where someone did do that and had good results.

I think it could be benefiial but not necessary to go fast, there are guys going low 10's and even 9's without doing that.

I'm in the tens w/o this. Just looking for some info from people who have tried it. A link would work also. Try searching MAF sensor and you get an encyclopedia.

Ive done it and the car has better driveability hands down, also does not go rich when backing off the throttle at high boost, since it doesnt see a false flow of air as the pressure in the intake tract blows back through the turbocharger in the old "sneeze" that we know them for. It removes a minor restriction from the inlet of the turbo, and quickens throttle response/gives more accurate MAF readings since its located closer to the engine. I say if you have a front mount or larger intercooler than factory, and plan to drive the car alot or race it frequently, try it out, you may just like how it runs.

For reference most vehicles produced today have the MAF sensor within one to two feet of the throttle valve. This gives them an a timely, accurate response to the change in airflow when user inputs change. On a stock turbo regal the MAF has about a 5 to 6 foot column of air ahead of it before the throttle valve, causing a lag in response when the throttle is slammed open. If and when larger intercoolers, pipes, etc are installed this air column or distance between the sensor and the throttle increase in volume drastically, causing the problem to become more noticeable.

I still have 2 - 3 feet of plumbing between my MAF sensor and my throttle valve, but its far better performance wise than it is with 8-10 feet of intercooler, turbocharger, and associated pluming between them. Runs smoother all around.

Ill admit i can see one potential problem, and that is when a turbocharger seal lets loose wetting the MAF wires with oil throwing off the readings. Now that my oil pressure is <70 psi at any given time, i no longer have issues with seals blowing out on the compressor side, and havent seen this problem manifest itself. But what does it matter anyway, we all use K&N Filters full of oil and surely have already contaminated our sensors to the point of causing at least SOME alterations in their accuracy.

Ive done it and the car has better driveability hands down, also does not go rich when backing off the throttle at high boost, since it doesnt see a false flow of air as the pressure in the intake tract blows back through the turbocharger in the old "sneeze" that we know them for. It removes a minor restriction from the inlet of the turbo, and quickens throttle response/gives more accurate MAF readings since its located closer to the engine. I say if you have a front mount or larger intercooler than factory, and plan to drive the car alot or race it frequently, try it out, you may just like how it runs.

For reference most vehicles produced today have the MAF sensor within one to two feet of the throttle valve. This gives them an a timely, accurate response to the change in airflow when user inputs change. On a stock turbo regal the MAF has about a 5 to 6 foot column of air ahead of it before the throttle valve, causing a lag in response when the throttle is slammed open. If and when larger intercoolers, pipes, etc are installed this air column or distance between the sensor and the throttle increase in volume drastically, causing the problem to become more noticeable.

I still have 2 - 3 feet of plumbing between my MAF sensor and my throttle valve, but its far better performance wise than it is with 8-10 feet of intercooler, turbocharger, and associated pluming between them. Runs smoother all around.

+1

I've done this too
Nitrous1.jpg

I've been running this way for almost 2 years.

Anything you can do to reduce the restriction on the inlet side of a turbo is a good thing. Turbos are very inefficient at generating a vacuum on their inlet side. This is why I have a very short inlet pipe with a radiused inlet (a velocity stack) and then a huge air filter (cheaper than a regular GN airfilter too)

You'll want to keep it a little ways away from your alcohol nozzle if you run one because the maf sensor wire does get red hot. I have never had a problem with the way mine is set up now.