Made a new friend yesterday!

Got back last night! Nothing like throwing a car back together and driving to michigan and back! lol. Cant wait to throw more boost at this thing. Been keeping it around 10psi for the trip. Sounds like a beast! Still have some wrinkles to iron out on the tune but once thats all sorted my alky kits going in and turning up the boooooost!

Some pics from the trip:

She was a bit nose-High because of all the crap I had in the trunk along with my toolbox! But wow did WV look beautiful!

Now how bout some pics of you working in snow and cold changing the battery and alternator.....:p

ohhhhh boy. Went to put my car in before the snow started to fall later in the day and couldnt get the car to start. Ended up being the alternator and battery decided they'd had enough of Michigan's BS. This was while we were attempting to push the car into the garage. Needless to say, the big beast was a bit much for me and my buddy to get up that driveway while there was snow on the ground.

e
Your luck ain't too good. :D

Come to think of it mine ain't either.:cool::cool:
Did you replace that alt with an Impala one or stock one?

Ac Delco batteries are junk! See that everyday at work. Cold kills lots of things.

Xavier's luck isn't too bad. He made a successful trip with only a minor issue, and thankfully it didn't happen on the road.

e
Did you replace that alt with an Impala one or stock one?

I dont know. It was the only one they had and I had to drive an hour to pick it up. It does have a bladed fan instead of the plastic circular one my old one had.

Did the new alternator fix the problem? I remember a problem with the single wire plug on the alternator before.

Rick

Did the new alternator fix the problem? I remember a problem with the single wire plug on the alternator before.

Rick
yea. The old one tested bad at two different stores. I kept it to rebuild sometime soon.

btw, anyone know where I can get that 200A upgrade kit nowadays?

Last edited:

Rick
Care to elaborate on this. His car has a harness the factory plug goes into then it plugs into the alt. Not sure what it did so I left it alone.

The wire was broke on the factory plug but I fixed it. Not sure about the piggy back device. At that time the factory plug went right into the alternator.

I agree. No need for a 200 amp alternator.

Rick

The wire was broke on the factory plug but I fixed it. Not sure about the piggy back device. At that time the factory plug went right into the alternator.

I agree. No need for a 200 amp alternator.

Rick
When I see Xavier again I will look into that piggy back thingy. I was not sure that maybe it did something with tpro so I left it alone.

The car would run best with the factory ecm in full time open loop and the tpro in closed loop. The Tpro can be set up to do idle, cruise and wot fuel correction with user settable targets. Just like a sd chip.

Never messed with SD chip. I want to convert my GN though. I have all the tpro literature. I will read it some more in a bit.

The car would run best with the factory ecm in full time open loop and the tpro in closed loop. The Tpro can be set up to do idle, cruise and wot fuel correction with user settable targets. Just like a sd chip.
If I am read the manuel correctly just unplug the factory o2 and tune away, otherwise the ECM will always over ride the tpro ...unless WOT??? This looks exactly like the set-up Edelbrock uses on their Pro-flo EFI. Been a few years but it is coming back to me.

Rick do you prefere the Tpro over the SD chip?

I'm using a Tpro and it has ability to control boost and timing too. Additionally there is an auxiliary input to switch to a separate setup with flip of a switch. Haven't accomplished all this yet but have plenty of years to play with it :)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

If I am read the manuel correctly just unplug the factory o2 and tune away, otherwise the ECM will always over ride the tpro ...unless WOT??? This looks exactly like the set-up Edelbrock uses on their Pro-flo EFI. Been a few years but it is coming back to me.

Rick do you prefere the Tpro over the SD chip?

No need to unplug 02 (though that would work) You can put the chip in full time open loop by setting parameter 12 to 8

No real preference. IMO the Tpro has more tuning ability but for a newbie a sd2 chip is more user friendly.

If you want, give me a call when the car comes back and we can walk through the settings.

Rick

No need to unplug 02 (though that would work) You can put the chip in full time open loop by setting parameter 12 to 8

No real preference. IMO the Tpro has more tuning ability but for a newbie a sd2 chip is more user friendly.

If you want, give me a call when the car comes back and we can walk through the settings.

Rick

I saw someone with this setup at MAGNA. Was nice that he was able to remove one element from the equation (the tpro) so all he had in his car was a laptop, wideband, and scanmaster. My plan is to relocate my tpro to the center console to hide once everything is tuned well though.
BTW Rick, I noticed the TPRO has an aux out that is triggered by boost pressure. Have you ever seen this used to power an auxillary fuel pump? Could I use this to get rid of the Hobbs switch and have control of when the secondary pump comes online from in the car? Since I'm putting Alky back in it might help to nail down the tune as well as gas mileage.