M233Roller (Mike) is an Excellent Seller!

fastdavedk

The stainless steel on my 87 T Type's steering wheel is discolored dark as if dirty perhaps from the prior owner polishing or scouring it. Any thoughts on how to restore it to its shiny finish?
Thanks.
Dave

0000 steel wool and little Lube ....wd40 or any polish.....for the aluminum.....a magic eraser and isopropyl alcohol cut 50/50 for the leather works great ....dont rub to hard with magic eraser on the leather ....

Have you tried cleaning it with some mild solvent? Mask off all the leather tighter than a frogs ass (waterproof) prior to trying it.......

I did a redneck restore on mine.

For the metal spokes - they were dirty, scammer, corroded, and stained. I taped off the leather & carefully cleaned off the metal with Simple Green & Speedy metal polish as best I could. Used some steel wool like 'grass doctor' said.

I stole some of my wife's old sand paper like finger nail files and a metal nail file that had abrasive all the way to the end. I used these to begin the brushed metal look under the edge of the leather. Slide'em under the leather. Apply pressure and pull parallel to spokes. I worked slow & it turned out fine.

Next I tried small squares of semi- medium sand paper (different grits) on a scrap of aluminum to see if I could reproduce the OEM brushed look by working all in one direction. That worked. The spokes turned out close to OEM - most TR owners probably wouldn't notice.

Steel tooth brush and some Mothers aluminum polish. Scrub in the direction of the grain. Finish with any kind of towel. Will look better than new.