LT1 Rear Disc Brake Questions

hawkfan

I know the LS1 disc conversion(s) is the big thing right now and I'm planning to do the 12" LS1 set up for the front, but I have some questions about the "LT1" rear disc set up. It looks like it requires no cutting of the axle tube flanges with brackets from Flynbye and has an integrated e-brake with essentially the same PBR calipers as the LS1. I'm wondering why more TR guys aren't using the LT1 kits/parts for rear disc conversions. Is it due to problems with connecting the e-brake or is it some other issue?

The rotor is both smaller in diameter and less in width then the LS1 rear rotors. The caliper piston area is also less.

The one thing about the LS1 rear brakes is that the parking brake works. Which it doesn't always on the LT1 style brakes. Although, with the LS1 brakes need to fabricate some brackets for the parking brake cable.

RemoveBeforeFlight

The rotor is both smaller in diameter and less in width then the LS1 rear rotors. The caliper piston area is also less.

The one thing about the LS1 rear brakes is that the parking brake works. Which it doesn't always on the LT1 style brakes. Although, with the LS1 brakes need to fabricate some brackets for the parking brake cable.

RemoveBeforeFlight
The rotors and calipers may be a little smaller, but isn't that actually a good thing for the rears on a G body? I was thinking there would be less risk of hitting the frame/shock mounts. The parking brake on the LT1 looks simpler to hook up too, but I read they could stick if they got rusty or aren't 'exercised' enough which is a concern. I just thought this conversion would have more of a following than it does since you don't have to cut/drill the axle tubes to make it work. I'm just mulling over rear disk options.

Yes, the smaller rotor will likely provide more clearance. The parking brake hook up to the LT1 calipers is straight forward. Looking at it from this angle they may be a better choice for a bolt & go install. The LS1 install isn't that straight forward.

And even though the LT1 rotors are smaller, they aren't that much smaller. Note that the '90 - '92 f-body's with rear discs are nearly the same as the LT1 cars. With the LT1 cars having a damper or such on the packing brake lever.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I think I'll give the LT1's and the Flynbye brackets a shot. They have to be better than the drums and seem really easy to install.