Lt1 Altenator?

buickruss

I’m needing a replacement Altenator. I did a search but don’t see anything on the GM 140 amp Altenator. I think it was available an certain LT1 motors, but I don’t know which model cars or which years Would be a direct bolt in for the GN. Any thoughts? nobody has the replacement 120 amp units in stock locally, but they should have the more common Chevy parts.

Why not get your original rebuilt? I got mine rebuilt locally & had it upped to 140a. Also refreshed the case.

Price wasn’t too bad either from what I recall.

I’m needing a replacement Altenator. I did a search but don’t see anything on the GM 140 amp Altenator. I think it was available an certain LT1 motors, but I don’t know which model cars or which years Would be a direct bolt in for the GN. Any thoughts? nobody has the replacement 120 amp units in stock locally, but they should have the more common Chevy parts.
Highway Stars has NEW original 120's Alternator - (Brand-new) ACDelco 1226

I like the 140 amp conversion. From my perspective, I gave up a little voltage at idle but it definitely works better running all the accessories. I'm an advocate for rebuilding yourself or having someone local repair or rebuild it. Many of the remanufactures reuse components that are not bad or bad yet:) Even AC Delco does this or at least they use too. I haven't been inside one of the AC Delco alternators in a while.... Seems these remanufactured units fail quicker overall. At least that was my experience. By rebuilding yourself, you control the quality aspect and it yields a greater outcome. I got a best of around 15V at idle. Curious what others have done to bump the volts?

Attachments

• IMG_20200826_093056056~2.jpg
    IMG_20200826_093056056~2.jpg
    558.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20200826_093104936~2.jpg
    IMG_20200826_093104936~2.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200826_093119194~2.jpg
    IMG_20200826_093119194~2.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20211014_133821971_BURST000_COVER~2.jpg
    IMG_20211014_133821971_BURST000_COVER~2.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 51
15v at idle is during cool start or warm idle?
Th reason why I'm asking since I have read that a lot about charging 15v + can damage the battery for over charging

15v at idle is during cool start or warm idle?
Th reason why I'm asking since I have read that a lot about charging 15v + can damage the battery for over charging
Never had a battery issue. Infact quite the opposite. Batteries live on average 6-7 years in my car(s)at this voltage. This one runs between 14.7 and 15.2. cold or hot, very similar. I am running Casper's battery cables. Very nice pieces btw. For clarification, I am not running the factory alternator plug. Built a stand alone harness with diodes and resistors. Only down side is no voltage light but that really the primary issue with the Turbo Buick charging system. The regulator and stator are also upgraded. Got sick of running remanufactured units. Those lasted about 6 months. Even the AC ones. I'm sure others have had better luck though.

Thanks for the clarification of your alternator upgrade, and yes Caper's Positive battery cable is definite a better cable for an increase alternator voltage compared to a stock alternator.
I too had issues with voltage and found the original alternator was producing less voltage, so I rebuilt the alternator using original new parts, and aright now the voltage is around 13.2v - 13.5v.
If you don't mine me asking what components did you used to rebuilt your alternator to achieve the 14.7 - 15.2v?

If you don't mine me asking what components did you used to rebuilt your alternator to achieve the 14.7 - 15.2v?

I'm on vacation at the moment so I will do my best to give you an idea of what I did. You will need a resistor to simulate the volt light on dash, some wire, replacement alternator plug with all 4 leads versus the original 1 wire, and 1-3 diodes to boost the voltage. Or basically trick the alternator into changing at a slightly higher rate.

By all means Please enjoy your vacation, and you get back we can continue this.
Please be safe and healthy, and again You and your Family Enjoy the vacation Time
Thanks

TurboWh1. Do you have a pic of your setup and I list of parts. I'm looking to increase my voltage.
Thanks.
Chad.

Post #2 by me. Cheaper than buying a new one as well.

Had mine rebuilt & upped to 140a. Honestly unless your running a ton of electrical 120a should be plenty.