Ls turbo swap or build 3.8 ?

The LS engine is pretty nice but from every thread on swapping or people that I've talked to at shows, there is significant fabrication, electrical work, suspension and lost time involved. This stuff adds up quick, especially if you don't have a decent shop and skills to do the work yourself. You have access to an excellent local builder which is a big help. BTW, don't get hung up on hp numbers. I've seen some 550hp engines that are perfectly fine to drive on the street and still scare the shit out you. Remember, this is a street car not a track car.
Yes ur right im not really looking too much on hp but i want to be in the area of being subtle in the street but a bat out of hell on wide open throttle

From what I have seen 650rwhp in nothing for a 109 that is built right and tuned correctly.my RPE 109 has been in the car for 7 years 20+k with tons of hits and I have had so much fun with it racing lots of different cars and combos.
Thank you for the feed back an hopefully that would be my same case lucky to work with awesome guys that are very familiar with these cars so all I can see at the end of the tunnel is a great outcome and a great performing tr

Ive always had respect for engine swaps. Especially the ones that require major fabrication. Its interesting to see people's visions and skills come to life. It is true, many people are so ignorant and stuck in their ways that swapping engines becomes a major pissing match. Simple thing I live by, "Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one." So do what you want to do and do it the way you want it done. People want to hate on it, more power to them, its not their car, as long as you like it and are proud of it, that's all that matters.

As a side thought, ya want something different? For the people that say a Buick should have a Buick engine in it..cool...throw a Buick 455 in it. Hell throw on a supercharger and you will be over 1000hp as was done on this one!
d099bdbcf7f8a1061d8c855a8aff9407.jpg
363eeb3ebdbb2d39fec3cd7740a93602.jpg
1c4e3982381b51580700b364256013ca.jpg

As long as youre happy with it thats all that matters!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
That poor little cam sensor is going to get a work out......

I'll take that race against the Plug and Play motor all day. He won't know what hit his 7L. I will give credit where credit is due. New technology is nice, its nice to pick up the phone, make a call and the part is in stock. Our little 30+ year old motors are still very tough to beat. I am still very thankful that we have new parts continuing to come out and that my old parts are hanging in there. I think that we have nearly reached a level of mechanical ability meaning forged/billet cranks and rods, aluminum heads and etc. that can handle a lot of power and most of the new developments have came in the form of electronics , injectors, ignition systems and fuels. Innovation still strives to make us faster.

Last edited:
I'll take that race against the Plug and Play motor all day. He won't know what hit his 7L. I will give credit where credit is due. New technology is nice, its nice to pick up the phone, make a call and the part is in stock. Our little 30+ year old motors are still very tough to beat. I am still very thankful that we have new parts continuing to come out and that my old parts are hanging in there. I think that we have nearly reached a level of mechanical ability meaning forged/billet cranks and rods, aluminum heads and etc. that can handle a lot of power and most of the new developments have came in the form of electronics , injectors, ignition systems and fuels. Innovation still strives to make us faster.

Full disclaimer: If I offend/offended anybody in this post, I apologize in advance (when really I don't give a shit)..... Lot of snowflakes on this board....... Especially when you type the letters LS after GN.... Intended for mature audiences only!

And I agree with all that...... Except however, I don't know anything about your configuration so I couldn't say, but I'll take your word for it..... But, I have to say, I have a hard time believing that a well built v6 turbo motor would beat a well built LS7 turbo motor..... Just don't see it happening. Unless of course the v6 motor defies the laws of physics and mathematics! But, I know this, I could build an LS7 turbo motor cheaper then I built my v6 motor and I'm sure the LS7 motor would easily beat it. I could have done an LS7 motor, trans, and turbo for what my v6 long block cost me. (and that's not using a piece a shit Prejunkcision turbo either) I would NEVER do another v6 motor. I like my bank account more the nostalgia...... Also, like turbo89 said "reliability"..... Reliability factor is probably the most important issue, I think so..... This is just my opinion, but, I think the OP is nuts doing a v6 motor over an LS motor from the jump.

OP, want a great TA motor send me a PM.
Here's a few things about the motor.

TA block/off center
TA SE heads, jessel rockers ported by Chris Hogeland/Twisted6
Custom cam - Twisted6
Crower crankshaft internal balance, crank trigger, polished - Twisted6
Crower rods clearanced - Twisted6
Diamond pistons 9.5 /1 - Twisted6
Distributor - Twisted6
High volume front cover, external oil cover with electric water pump machined and assembled - Twisted6
Custom oil pan - Twisted6
Champion race intake port matched by Lorenzo

Last edited:
I hate when I see people suggest getting a Monte Carlo or a N/A car to build. Why do you assume that someone who purchased a Turbo regal would go that route? Why stop there? Why not suggest a $200 '83 Caprice? A Geo? How did we get this far away from the car that I liked and bought?

I like a Turbo 6 in a Turbo Regal just as much as the next guy and I have had a few. I have one right now that I would never dream of ditching the V6. Now, that said, There comes a time and place where someone may not give a shit if the car has the 6cyl because their goals are outside the scope of the V6 potential and reliability.

I was in that place once before. I acquired a beautiful '87 GN loaded with goodies but the bottom end was junk and wiped out. It was a shortblock away from being a reliable mid to high 10sec car. However, I wanted my car to be able to run a 10.0 index that I could run rounds with reliably. so instead of spending thousands to get my Buick where I wanted it, I decided to sell off all the LC2 stuff. I ended up in the Buick for $0.00. I invested about $7,000 - 7500 dollars and ended up with a fresh LS engine complete, Bolt on Turbo kit with Mid frame 76mm turbo and a 4L80E. I had zero regrets about the swap and I have shown the pictures to 100's of people on line (maybe thousands) and no one ever has anything but compliments. I'd do it again in a heart beat if I was in a situation that called for it.

Believe it:Dhappens all the time in the right venue with a skilled driver.

Anythings possible......just not likely! My point to the OP is (and I say this with much experience) since he's starting with nothing it's much more economical and reasonable to go with an LS build then a v6 not just in money, but also in reliability, technology, turn-around time, parts, labor, configuration. You can take an LS motor right out of the box and bolt on a 76mm turbo and run 9's. Try doing that with a v6..... And you could do it with the A/C on, and the old lady and kids in the car with you. You could be like Clarke Griswold only not in a station wagon.... Just to use a 76mm turbo on a v6 takes a lot of work and someone very skilled to do it, not to mention some of the issues that go along with it. If given the choice would you use a 4l80e or a 200 and I don't care at what power level? I'd use a 4l80e. It's shift points are computerized, they're very hard to break .....and it's plug and play with an LS motor. OP should think about the tranns issues that come with a juiced up v6. 200's suck balls. It's gonna leak and it ain't gonna stay together. Don't care who builds it.

Here's what I just don't understand. The v6 is 30 plus year old technology. Given the design back then the GN (86-87) was light years ahead of any competitor/technology. But that was then.... You guys gotta get over it. "It's like the Sapranos, it's over."

I guess all those LS powered Corvettes and Camaros and GTOs that Melissa's GN has smoked over the years at NED are a mirage.

Summit racing sells LS block for 299.00 y would anyone in there right mind build a 109 block or even a stage 2 block.a 109 block will cost u 500 bucks.if u want a stage2 block from TA u will spend 4700.

Just to use a 76mm turbo on a v6 takes a lot of work
In the past I used a billed 64mm to make 9 sec power and on a 200 as well with the AC cruise stereo etc,3800lbs 20k+ hard driving,also with a stock block,and stock crank too.everything cost and it's really the car itself that needs the full attention which would need to be done anyway.

Summit racing sells LS block for 299.00 y would anyone in there right mind build a 109 block or even a stage 2 block.a 109 block will cost u 500 bucks.if u want a stage2 block from TA u will spend 4700.
I will tell you the ls stuff would be my last choice.BBC and sbc are a far better performance/reliability choice.nothing is cheap if you want good stuff.

I've been in both communities a long time. Here's the difference.

LS community, seen at every track hammering their LS builds every weekend. Claim the power and thousands of videos, dynos and sightings to back it all up.

Buick Community, Claims of 8, 9 and 10 second power all day but never been down the dragstrip. Never raced a full 1/4 pass. Can be seen NEVER going down a track near you. I go to the tracks around me all the time for 19 years now and I rarely ever see a Buick let alone something faster than a basic 11 pass.

I chose to rebuild my stage 2 V6 because I already had too much money into it to back out…but like I said in my earlier post, if something big happened (like blowing the V6 apart with nothing left to salvage), I'd definitely go with a built LS no matter what the GN "purists" say.

and

I will tell you the ls stuff would be my last choice.BBC and sbc are a far better performance/reliability choice.nothing is cheap if you want good stuff.

Sorry but I totally disagree on that. Like it or not, the LS engines will slowly replace both small and big block Chevys for racing. They make way more power with a lot less cubic inches and built strong enough in stock form to be used in conjunction with blowers, turbos, nitrous, etc...Of course there will always be some fans of the old Chevy V8's (like the ones who like Ford flatheads) but these engines are destined to be used by nostalgics who attend car shows and some occasional nostalgia races…
Don't get me wrong… I plan to keep my GN "all-Buick"…at least for now and I love to drive my big-block Chevelle BUT… I still think that LS's are the future engine of choice for GM powered race cars.
I've been in both communities a long time. Here's the difference.

LS community, seen at every track hammering their LS builds every weekend. Claim the power and thousands of videos, dynos and sightings to back it all up.

Buick Community, Claims of 8, 9 and 10 second power all day but never been down the dragstrip. Never raced a full 1/4 pass. Can be seen NEVER going down a track near you. I go to the tracks around me all the time for 19 years now and I rarely ever see a Buick let alone something faster than a basic 11 pass.
That's sooo true!… I often noticed that when I go to the track, I rarely see another GN other than mine. There might be another one every now and then but that's it. Where are these "fast turbo V6 guys"? They're only seen at events like the BG nationals but never seen at any weekend races at the local track…:rolleyes:

Claude.