Lowering springs

augie1010

Just finished installing a set (4) lowering coil springs. Supposed to drop the gn by . 1.5 inches. Car dropped in the rear, but the front looks higher than the stock springs held it. Do these springs settle any after install? Bought them from BMR Susoenrion.

Thanks

Dave
87gn

The springs went in to the same index slot in the lower control arm. We did not have any trouble getting them in, and they appeared to be a little shorter than the stock spring that we removed. iI am going to measure what i have now, and drive it this week an see if anything happens.
Thanks for your input.
Dave

The springs should be indexed at the Top, in the frame, so they are not sitting on the step in the spring perch. That would cause the car to sit higher. Wherever the spring ends in the lower A-arm is where it ends. At least one hole in the arm should be uncovered, so any water will drain out.

Thanks for the info, I guess the only way to tell if they are not indexed correctly is to take it apart again My lower control arm had an obvious slot in it, which appeared to be where the spring should sit. I can't remember but are the front coils the same at each end? I made a quick measurement of the car in my garage, and have an inch and a half difference from front to back, 21 " front, 19.5 " at the rear. I emailed the company that makes the springs and they said that the front springs on a GN don't always bring the car down because the engine is so light?? He said that possible "cutting" the coils might be an option, but he did not recommend it. Not sure what to do next.
Thanks
Dave

your original springs were probably sagging ,average is usually 1 in.
so a new 1in lowering spring was where you were at before you started.

The springs(4) in my car had been changed with a standard Moog replacement coil several years ago. The back of the car was starting to sag, so I had them all replaced. The paint is still on them. I expected the front of the car to be lower with the new coils, but it is even higher than before I installed the lowering units. I guess it is possible that they are not installed correctly. Have to take it apart again and see whats up.
thanks
Dave

I took off original 30 year springs about a month ago and put on Eibach Pro Kit that is about a 1" front and rear drop...I noticed no difference in ride height from the old sagging stuff. The ride quality is much improved though and should feel even tighter once I get the body bushings replaced.

I took off original 30 year springs about a month ago and put on Eibach Pro Kit that is about a 1" front and rear drop...I noticed no difference in ride height from the old sagging stuff. The ride quality is much improved though and should feel even tighter once I get the body bushings replaced.
What’s the part number you installed?

I used SC&C springs, 17 modern tires and paired that with the adjustable upper control arms. Once the alignment was dialed in it was a fantastic driver and handled so well I needed to upgrade the front seats.

Take look at our vendors and or UMI or SC&C.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Just got time to get back to this thread. My gn did not settle much after the install of the BMR springs. I decided to cut the front coils. Took one half (1/2) coil off of the bottom of the spring, which reduces the length just under an inch. Reinstalled, and the car dropped a lot, probably about 2.5 inches. Car looks great, has a slight rake, as I use 55's in the rear and 45's in the front. Tried it on the road, and I got very little tire interference, but a big dip will make the tires hit the inner tubs. On second thought, i would have taken 1/4 to 1/3 off the spring. I forgot the geometry between the center of the lower control arm, where the spring sits and the spindle. One inch at the spring brings more at the spindle, in my case probably twice as much. Car has had a little time to sit, i will drive it again tomorrow and see if the tires hit . It might need a small rubber spacer to clear this up?? Thanks

Dave
87 gn

im glad i found this thread, was just fixing to get the BMR springs. I noticed the springs at BMR are for all g body, according to moog the front are mostly used in v6, some 305s, so they're probably a smaller load spring.