Lowering Kits

"Black Ice"

Looking to do a 2" drop on my '84 GN, who makes the best kit. Looking for a swap set-up, wit out any xtra work. I will still be using the factory wheels. I thinking about the UMI Performance or Eibach. Thanks

Lots of opinions and options out there, but I would probably just go with springs that are 2" shorter. Mind you your spring may have sagged over the years so 2" shorter springs on paper may not actually drop you 2" from where you are now. I like moog products because they're generally cheap and dependable, but there's other options too like DSE and Eibach.

Eibach springs lowered my car about 1in up front (had to cut a coil due to aluminum heads and other weight reduction) and 1.5in in rear. If you want to lower further you'll either need drop spindles in the front (which I personally don't recommend) or coil overs.

I fixed the front end geometry and lowered mine by using a Savitke Classic and Custom Stg 2+ kit. Also installed a similar UMI kit on a friend car with nice results.

Sent from my ME302KL using Tapatalk

I fixed the front end geometry and lowered mine by using a Savitke Classic and Custom Stg 2+ kit. Also installed a similar UMI kit on a friend car with nice results.

Sent from my ME302KL using Tapatalk

I have the SPC/SC&C stage 2 Plus UCAs as well. The extra tall ball joints help lower the car about 1".

I believe the SPC lower control arms also let you lower the car another inch, and keep the stock spindles while correcting a lot of the issues with the front end geometry.

The SPC lowers also allow you to adjust the ride height by the use of spring shims on the CAs.

QA1 Pro Coil Overs here. They will allow you to set the ride height where you want it, when you want it. They are easily adjustable, bolt right on with no mods, increase clearance for exhaust options, cost around $1000. Don't worry about trimming coils, doing the job two, or three times to achieve your desired results. I'm very happy with mine.

QA1 Pro Coil Overs here. They will allow you to set the ride height where you want it, when you want it. They are easily adjustable, bolt right on with no mods, increase clearance for exhaust options, cost around $1000. Don't worry about trimming coils, doing the job two, or three times to achieve your desired results. I'm very happy with mine.

How long are the springs on the coilovers?

One issue people forget about with coilovers, specifically for drag racing, is that most coilovers run a much shorter, much stiffer spring and spring rate. This translates to less weight transfer to the rear, which is correlated with how well you launch, etc.

On a stock-style spring setup, you could theoretically run a 20" spring with an incredibly low spring rate (like 200lb/in) and some double adjustable shocks, so that the springs stored/potential energy can be used to transfer the weight better, and the shocks will control just how fast the springs extend and compress, so that you don't have the porpoising-effect.

If you look at drag race car's front coilovers, you will see that a lot of them have much taller springs than what you would see a "regular" coilover. The rear coilover on a drag car does sometimes run a shorter spring, but that is because it isn't as integral to the weight transfer as the front spring...

I just had this very conversation with Mark Savitske (owner of SC&C) yesterday. He confirmed that for drag cars, most over-the-counter coilovers have too short of spring.

Don't know off hand, I would have to check the specs. My car is no drag car. My assumption is that "most" people who are lowering their cars, are "probably" doing it for looks, and not applying the weight transfer theory into their decision.

The intended use is important and functionality. A solid front suspension, modern tires (No 10 year old 15in tires), quality springs, and good shocks

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Looking to do a 2" drop on my '84 GN, who makes the best kit. Looking for a swap set-up, wit out any xtra work. I will still be using the factory wheels. I thinking about the UMI Performance or Eibach. Thanks
The DSE kit is a True 2" drop based on the stock suspension baseline. Most people changing out their springs expecting that 2" drop don't actually get that because their old springs have sagged so much over the years. The best way to lower your vehicle to exactly where you want it is by Coilovers. RideTech sells a complete kit that corrects the front end geometry on these G-Bodies and they have correction numbers that prove it...

We are an authorized dealer for DSE, RideTech, UMI so if your interested, let us know and we will help you through your project on buying the correct parts Once and save you money in the process...

IMO the eibach lowering springs ride like crap. Maybe these with a quality shock would be better.

I went with the ride tech system. All around 300% better ride and handling.

If you do not want to go that route a coil over system that uses stock control arm may be better.

Follow Scott @GNS's advice.