Lower Door Panel Plastic Repair

Dean

Anyone have any experiences with repairing cracked panel mounting pin mounts/tabs/slots? Also the upper panel metal interlock strips? Several of those melted studs/posts sheared off the panel at one end.

Looking around it appears that the proper adhesive for our panel composition is 3M Scotch-Weld DP8010 at ~$35/kit, but I am not sure that this is the right stuff.

Dean

is it visible or on the back. I would use acetone and some abs shavings and weld it back together. Much stronger than any adhesive would ever be since its physically melts the pieces together. Get a picture and I can give you better advice

On the back, so it is purely structural. I have some ABS here and can do some chopping on the miter saw to get chips. This would be friggin' sweet!

1.JPG

3.JPG

I actually did find different retaining pins that attached to the door panel with much more surface area that the "correct" pins, but I still thing it better to repair them.

Thanks,

Dean

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 87
ok, so what you want to do is get pure acetone. Most stores sell it as extra strength nail polish remover, just look at the ingredients. Mix it with shavings of abs until you get a paste, I just let the chips sit in there awhile, it takes a bit. Then what you want to do is wipe some pure acetone on both sides of the items you want to stick together, usually a few times until you notice its getting a bit soft. Then using your ABS "paste" glue it back together. I usually then use the paste to go over the seams to add some material there to stop future breaks. Its bulletproof, I've used this to repair center consoles, glove boxes etc. Just don't get it on anything visible, abs turns the plastic a chalky white if it drips on it and is allowed to dry.

Awesome, thanks! Before I hit the door panels, I'll practice bonding some scrap stuff first.

Thanks much!

Dean

Anyone have any experiences with repairing cracked panel mounting pin mounts/tabs/slots? Also the upper panel metal interlock strips? Several of those melted studs/posts sheared off the panel at one end.

Looking around it appears that the proper adhesive for our panel composition is 3M Scotch-Weld DP8010 at ~$35/kit, but I am not sure that this is the right stuff.

Dean

From my 35 years in the plastics industry.......Take it to a Thermoplastic (Platics) Fabricator. These guys usually do work with non-metallic piping systems (plastic).....You need to have him repair it using thermoplastic welding rod. I had mine done by a local plastics fabricator and they used polyethylene welding rod & actually welded it to repair mine.

Doubt you'll find an adhesive that will be able to bond properly with any olefin (polyethylenes -low-medium or high density / polypropylene, etc).

dave