Lower boost

sirbunnyeater

Hey all. Got an issue and I’m wondering where to go from here. I recently got a new chip and new te44 turbo installed. The car runs like a raped ape but I’m getting up to 25psi while my target is 20 or so. While Fun it’s a little too much for my peace of mind. No KR because I’m running high octane but still. I don’t really have any more adjustment in the wastegate rod to lower boost. Any thoughts? I feel like I shouldn’t have to port the wastegate hole? Shouldn’t it be matched to the te44 already? Thanks.

stock long block
60lb injectors
te44 HD actuator
3” intake with ls1 maf
gn1 extreme front mount IC 3”
3” dp
3” single shot exhaust

MikeS

I don't think porting the wastegate hole will have any effect on lowering boost unless you're seeing boost creep. It's the spring pressure controlling overall boost. Is this a HD wastegate? My stock wastegate with a TE44 struggled to get into the 20's. Which brings up another point: the TE44 is probably not outperforming the stock turbo at 20psi. If you invested the money for it, and have the octane to keep it from knocking, just run it at 25psi. It will last a good long time with no knock. The "fix" you got from more power will wear off in 6 months, and you'll be looking for more anyway.

sirbunnyeater

I don't think porting the wastegate hole will have any effect on lowering boost unless you're seeing boost creep. It's the spring pressure controlling overall boost. Is this a HD wastegate? My stock wastegate with a TE44 struggled to get into the 20's. Which brings up another point: the TE44 is probably not outperforming the stock turbo at 20psi. If you invested the money for it, and have the octane to keep it from knocking, just run it at 25psi. It will last a good long time with no knock. The "fix" you got from more power will wear off in 6 months, and you'll be looking for more anyway.
Hey thanks for the help. Yeah I noticed spool was a tad slower but man when it gets going.... anyway is there a general consensus that 25 psi is a safe-ish number if there’s no knock? I’m going to order alky tonight just for a little extra peace of mind. Oh yeah yes this is the HD actuator.

1986 Buick GX1

GX1 #001 [The One and Only]
I had boost creep running a larger than stock (TA49) turbo at 20 psi boost.
I sent my BGC wastegate elbow back to them to have a 1 3/8” puck installed so I could port the wastegate hole to 1 1/4”. That solved my problem, but have since learned it’s ok to run higher (25- 28 psi) boost with E85, high octane race fuel or 93/ alky if no KR.
I’ve learned that when running only 20 psi boost there’s not much better than a stock turbo as well.

The whole point of a larger turbo is to run more boost and make more power (more air flow).

On any given combo, 20 psi boost is 20 psi boost (same air flow) and will make the same power regardless of turbo size. The larger turbo will just spool slower.

Now that I want to run more boost (25-28 psi) I need a wastegate hole around .950” and had to get a wastegate plate to make a smaller hole.

The higher boost pressure has more force on the larger puck and will push it open before the target boost level is reached. Something to think about before porting your wastegate hole.

MikeS

Hey thanks for the help. Yeah I noticed spool was a tad slower but man when it gets going.... anyway is there a general consensus that 25 psi is a safe-ish number if there’s no knock? I’m going to order alky tonight just for a little extra peace of mind. Oh yeah yes this is the HD actuator.
For comparison I ran a Te44 for 10+ years, at least 25psi and mostly 28-30psi. Got a second one when the first turbo needed rebuilding, then shortly after scored a deal on a 6165 ball bearing. Been running that at 30psi. Stock replacement GM headgaskets with head studs. Look at a converter if the spool is too slow.

Just keep it from seeing any knock. You can always lower timing in 3rd a degree or so for a margin of safety.

Mr.Spool

Hey all. Got an issue and I’m wondering where to go from here. I recently got a new chip and new te44 turbo installed. The car runs like a raped ape but I’m getting up to 25psi while my target is 20 or so. While Fun it’s a little too much for my peace of mind. No KR because I’m running high octane but still. I don’t really have any more adjustment in the wastegate rod to lower boost. Any thoughts? I feel like I shouldn’t have to port the wastegate hole? Shouldn’t it be matched to the te44 already? Thanks.

stock long block
60lb injectors
te44 HD actuator
3” intake with ls1 maf
gn1 extreme front mount IC 3”
3” dp
3” single shot exhaust
as others have pointed out 25psi is with no kr shouldnt be an issue.thats a very nice bolt on stock combo!with a nice set of tires and a good trans right converter it will leave hard.spoolup should be very fast.

gtfrede

Designated LSX Hater
The whole point of a larger turbo is to run more boost and make more power (more air flow).

On any given combo, 20 psi boost is 20 psi boost (same air flow) and will make the same power regardless of turbo size. The larger turbo will just spool slower.

This is completely false just to correct the record for other users that may read this thread.

20psi out of a 6776 compared to lets say a stock turbo is DRAMATICALLY different airflow....

1986 Buick GX1

GX1 #001 [The One and Only]
This is completely false just to correct the record for other users that may read this thread.

20psi out of a 6776 compared to lets say a stock turbo is DRAMATICALLY different airflow....

Even on a stock engine?
You’re right, that was an over exaggeration.

Mr.Spool

I had boost creep running a larger than stock (TA49) turbo at 20 psi boost.
I sent my BGC wastegate elbow back to them to have a 1 3/8” puck installed so I could port the wastegate hole to 1 1/4”. That solved my problem, but have since learned it’s ok to run higher (25- 28 psi) boost with E85, high octane race fuel or 93/ alky if no KR.
I’ve learned that when running only 20 psi boost there’s not much better than a stock turbo as well.

Now that I want to run more boost (25-28 psi) I need a wastegate hole around .950” and had to get a wastegate plate to make a smaller hole.

The higher boost pressure has more force on the larger puck and will push it open before the target boost level is reached. Something to think about before porting your wastegate hole.
If it's on a stock engine

Mr.Spool

For comparison I ran a Te44 for 10+ years, at least 25psi and mostly 28-30psi. Got a second one when the first turbo needed rebuilding, then shortly after scored a deal on a 6165 ball bearing. Been running that at 30psi. Stock replacement GM headgaskets with head studs. Look at a converter if the spool is too slow.

Just keep it from seeing any knock. You can always lower timing in 3rd a degree or so for a margin of safety.
Good advice!

turbocamino1

turboholic
Don't think i saw it mentioned... if you don't want to whip the old girl the old girl that hard..youu could put a manual boost adjuster between the waste gate actuator and the turbo..it will bleed off some boost.