Low AND high Oil pressure

snydely87

I have a new 3.8 engine I purchased that was never fired. Because the builder is deceased I do not know how it was put together. My oil pressure hot is 22lbs at idle, just tap the gas and it will hit 50, 45-60lbs steady driving at 2500-3000 rpm. When I hammer it I have seen pressure pushing 109lbs on the scanmaster!
I wonder if it is a high volume pump with the crank drilled? Bigger passages create lower pressure at idle but the high volume pump and tight bearing clearance will crank the pressure up at full thottle? It runs excellent with no noises.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

What have you done to record oil pressure on your Scanmaster?
I am not sure if I understand your question.
What have you done to record oil pressure on your Scanmaster?
I have been keeping 1 eye on the scanmasters oil pressure reading while driving. I have put maybe 40 miles on this engine in only a few trips around the county. Michigan is unpredictable this time of year so next week when it is suppose to be dry and in the mid 60s I plan on taking a longer cruise and get some miles on it.
I am worried about blowing a filter or something with those high pressures. Everything is new......... oil lines, radiator, ect.

I am hoping someone is going to tell me its normal (y), but the original engine had pressure 30-60psi no matter what rpm. haha

The Scanmaster does not normally show oil pressure, thus the confusion. You need an aftermarket oil pressure gauge of some sort to do that.

You are saying you see oil pressure on this? (See pic)
scanmaster.jpg

The Scanmaster does not normally show oil pressure, thus the confusion. You need an aftermarket oil pressure gauge of some sort to do that.

You are saying you see oil pressure on this? (See pic)
View attachment 265775
LMAO!!!!! I guess I am providing the comedy on this site today! I have owned this car for 10 years and I always thought L8 (engine load) was LB (oil pressure). I feel like a total dipshit......haha!!
I went out and found the printed off (tuning with a scanmaster) sheet the old owner gave me and there it is.......... L8- engine load. I swear I am normally not that dumb!

Time for a beer........ I am a old small block chevy guy, and with turbo charged buicks the struggle is real!!!!

Thanks guys....... now........I know what engine load is, but why is it that significant that it is measured on the scanmaster? I certainly know the readings are different from the stocker.............

Well look at it this way..It didnt cost anything to fix. Glad to see it was nothing. I also like how Nick Micale set you up on the question "What have you done to record oil pressure on your Scanmaster?" Good times here.

It wouldn't hurt to put a REAL oil pressure gauge in the car .:D

Off topic,,,, I just put gauges on my tractor. A set of triple gauges was $20 last set I bought. Now $35.