Loose to my F-350?

faster

I don't drive the the beast like I drive the T but I could not help myself last night. I have a 2000 Ford F-350 four door, crew cab, long bed, single rear wheel 7.3 diesel, 4" lift and 37 inch all terrain tires. We have rush hour traffic and the right lane runs out about 300-350 yards from the light; I'm sitting in the left lane the light is red. Traffic all piles up behind me because the right lane ends and they all know it. Well this is Gainesville home to the University of Florida and 50K stupid college students. Two young guns in a smaller Lexus pull up on the right figuring they can easily pull the big ole pickup truck; fools.
The F-350 diesel has the usual mods 4" straight pipe exhaust with a 4" downpipe, big airbox, tuner module, big HPOP, they have no idea how fast this thing is. My exhaust pipe exists to the right behind the rear wheel.

Light goes green and I tree them by the length of the truck completely engulfing them in black exhaust. Boost comes up and I blow the big tires away even with the detroit locker, damn, I should have engaged the 4X4! They pull out of the cloud and are even with my front fender before I hook again when it shifts to second and I begin to creep past as boost now builds in second. Shift to third under boost and I begin to slide past them even faster now as third and overdrive pull like a crazy as they are now back at my rear bumper. Right lane now has merge left arrows and the cement wall forcing you to merge left as well as traffic in the single lane ahead is stopped and backed up so I let off to coast up. I figure Lexus boy will pull in behind me but he's still in it and does the ricer flyby and just clears my front bumper as the wall is forcing him into me. I stab the brakes to give him more room and he's still in the throttle wondering what he's going to do when he realizes he won't have enough road to stop, can't slide past on the right because of the cement wall and can't pass on the left because of oncoming traffic. I've been braking all along and he's now 6-7 car lengths in front and in panic stop mode. I figure he's gonna clobber the Cavalier at the end of the line of cars but that Lexus almost does it and he just ever so gently bumps the Chevy. Two more inches and he would have been fine. The 50 something lady gets out of the Chevy inspects her car yells at the kid and drives off. No damage I guess.

I do enjoy driving the beast though, my 16 year old daughter hates it.

I have to take this thing to the track one day, feels like mid 14's.

Mikey

LOL
I got raped by a turbo diesel truck like that in my all stock 97 Grand Prix GTP once a few years back.
Similar situation....about 1/4 mile before 2 lanes merge to one, so we were racing for the lead spot....but no traffic or stop lights ahead so we were able to run it out.

The GTP is supposed to be a 15.0 car in the 1/4...and that truck took me by about 2-3 lengths...but what suprised me was he pulled me at the top after I took him by about 2 lenghts at the start....
As he went around me, I was cracking up and hollering at him...he just smiled and waved...

Never under estimate a newer diesel...A buddy of mine has a duramax he drives every day that runs low 12's......and u would never know :) EFI live & some propane injection= trouble!

HA - had the same thing happen to me about 6 years ago in my PT Cruiser. Sitting at the front of the go straight lane (1 each direction) with a right turn lane into a development on my right. Across the intersection they made a short (200ft) merge lane into my lane for people exiting the development. Smart ass backwards ball cap kids in a riced out lowerd POS get on my right and are "planning" on passing me and cutting over in front aross the intersection. I saw it coming so this GN drag racer was watching the yellow lights and got the jump (PT was pretty quick for about 60 ft). Across the intersection we go with me about a car length in front. No way he was going to cut me off and he wasn't about to give up. All I could hear was his screaming 4 cyl and gear thrashing. I could imagine his posse yelling, "GO, it's only a f...g PT". I was far enough in front for him to pull in behind me Well I guess he didn't realize that there was a tall CONCRETE CURB ending his merge lane and the next thing I hear is a huge BANG as the fancy rims contacted the curb. An airborn ricer is NOT a pretty site.

This story reminds me of a race I saw at Fontana a few years back.

There was some turbo diesel truck- I'm not sure what kind because I was still trying to process why someone would bring a big giant diesel truck billowing black smoke to a race track... He was lined up against a viper... I figured the viper was just doing some test and tune and the truck driver just messing around... After the lights came down the viper seemed to jump ahead for about a few car lengths and then the truck came and walked by the viper like he had thrown it in reverse.. It was insane! I had never seen anything like that. Now, I always keep an eye out for the TD trucks...;)

Never under estimate a newer diesel...A buddy of mine has a duramax he drives every day that runs low 12's......and u would never know :) EFI live & some propane injection= trouble!

Yea, I'm really tempted to put the big bad HPOP (oil pump that atomizes the fuel injectors) along with bigger injectors, better turbo and wastegate control would make this a 13.0 sec truck. The stock system bleeds off boost at 12#, with the mods it goes to 22#. The boost control alone will make a world of difference picking up 9-10#.

But 8000# and I get 16.5mpg city.

Mikey

Yea, I'm really tempted to put the big bad HPOP (oil pump that atomizes the fuel injectors) along with bigger injectors, better turbo and wastegate control would make this a 13.0 sec truck. The stock system bleeds off boost at 12#, with the mods it goes to 22#. The boost control alone will make a world of difference picking up 9-10#.

But 8000# and I get 16.5mpg city.

Mikey

I have (6) 7.3's for my business, love them...half of them have DP Tuners, 6637 Filters & straightpiped...nothing crazy but really wakes them up, I've got a few w/ 300k+ that run beautiful....Once u get into the big hpop & the "r' turbos u can make some good power with them...bottom line is the 7.3's are just good simple motors, last of the breed :D

The answer is no timing to worry about. I was at Byron 4 years ago and saw a f350 with a cummins in it. I watched him run a 10.70:eek: I could not believe my eyes. I went and talked to the guy and he said he was running 120#. I thought he was liying to me but then after talking to a bunch of other guys that had fast trucks that was the norm. One guy said once you get to 135# your in the danger zone with the cummins because it cant keep up with the fuel delivery.

A stock cummins can handle bursts of 60lbs of boost...fire ring the heads & they go alot higher! Thats where the cummins shine, they can hold the most boost & the torque from the inline motor is just ridiculous.

The answer is no timing to worry about. I was at Byron 4 years ago and saw a f350 with a cummins in it. I watched him run a 10.70:eek: I could not believe my eyes. I went and talked to the guy and he said he was running 120#. I thought he was liying to me but then after talking to a bunch of other guys that had fast trucks that was the norm. One guy said once you get to 135# your in the danger zone with the cummins because it cant keep up with the fuel delivery.

Any 10 second vehicle that is reliable has a lot of money in it. My T will run high 10's reliably and I know what that takes and costs, so to make a vehicle the size of my F-350 run like the T would be cost prohibitive. It would also be pointless on the street as my horse trailer tow vehicle. I'm past the point in life where I need to be king of the hill on the street. Extremely few vehicles can run 12's on the street in street trim. My T on my G-force meter on the street with the Firehawks won't generate more than a 12.4, just can't generate enough traction, so my F-350 running 13.0 on the street would be a very fast vehicle. It is also very attainable fairly inexpensively.

I love the Cummins but hate the Dodge. The cummins conversion in the Ford costs $10-12K. I can buy a lot of go fast for my 7.3 for a lot less.

Mikey

Got my ass handed to me one time by a Mean 7.3... my Rx7 at the time was running consistent at the 1/8th mile 6.9's @ 99+ mph well me being confident i line up next to him... he raped me badd i caught up to him on 3rd but it was already the end of the 1/8th i still have the ticket for that race i ran a 8.9 @ 89mph with a 2.572 60' my tires were still cold i guess? but i never ever will underestimate any dually again !!

I ain't that fast but I will whittle it down to a 13.0 truck without propane.

Mikey

I ain't that fast but I will whittle it down to a 13.0 truck without propane.

13.0 in a 7500lb 4x4 is very potent, it'll take you some real good mods on the 7.3 motor to get there....the Dmax's are easier partly because they average 1000lbs lighter then the Ford's & have the high pressure injection....but we all know the 7.3's are just awesome :)

Coming home from my sons baseball game last Tuesday against Columbia High School (very country/redneck high school) in the F-350 one of their ballplayers had a 97-03 F-150 with straight pipes teasing me for about a mile side by side. I waited till we cleared the last of the buildings and the road was open. We both had the windows open so I motioned for him to go first. He was way slower than the Lexus, poor kid but he and his passenger were laughing as I rolled past.

Weather is cooling off air in the low 50's and dry. The T loves that air.

Mikey

Good Kill...

Guy where I used to live had a Ford Van with a powerstroke, exh, air, programmer and it was even on 20's...LOL. The thing ran in the 13's it was awesome!! It was bare bones equipped as far as ammenities and seats ...just the front seats and no side windows...I saw him spank a 95 cobra with it and the guys reaction in the cobra was hilarious!!!

Good Kill...

Guy where I used to live had a Ford Van with a powerstroke, exh, air, programmer and it was even on 20's...LOL. The thing ran in the 13's it was awesome!! It was bare bones equipped as far as ammenities and seats ...just the front seats and no side windows...I saw him spank a 95 cobra with it and the guys reaction in the cobra was hilarious!!!

There is a 30's something girl here at G'ville Raceway that runs a plain jane short Chevy van in the low 13's. She's been running it for years and knows how to hook it and drive. She spanks many an unsuspecting soul on the tree and then you have to try and catch her, most street cars can't.

Mikey