Looking for some information

Chrome Bonez

I have a 1984 hot air T-Type looking for performance parts for it and information on how I can get 500hp to the ground

have you considered running e85 if available in your area? That and a lot of boost might get you close. Though an upgraded fuel system, aftermarket ecu and some larger injectors will also be needed.

^^^^ the thread below reviews the flow bench data and work needed to open up the hot air intakes. Champion commercially did this porting work at one time - don't know if they still do since Tom passed.

link=> interesting numbers

have you considered running e85 if available in your area? That and a lot of boost might get you close. Though an upgraded fuel system, aftermarket ecu and some larger injectors will also be needed.
Yes and I’ve been looking and found some results the main thing is I have two 3.8 turbo t-type motors so I’ll most likely be doing all the performance parts on the second one

I have upgraded a hot air and got to 12.6 qtr. My advice is to foget about it. The hot air intake design is hopeless and very inefficient. Lack of parts means all cutom work. Spend the money on an 86/87 car or convert your motor to the 86/87. You will be happy in the end.

in any case, the long block would be built, converter changed with higher stall and trans built.

ADD alcohol injection and a modern version turbo upgrade to improve upon the old upgrade TA-33 together with the intake mods and you're well on your way. the respective upgrades for cooling, fuel system, air delivery, ECM/chip, etc would be done regardless of 84-85 or 86-87 configuration.

Bison's performance in CT, Limit Engineering in AZ, and Work turbochargers are all well versed in boring turbo housings for bigger wheels than the stock TB0330 unit. Work recently posted a new video on their current hot air upgrade turbo.

A well regarded member here, Jerryl, did the exact work you are asking about to his hot air. that project is documented in the video below.

a hot air engine in the 500bhp range can be done.

some other considerations....

crank sensor on 84-85 is different than 86-87 and expensive if/when you find an OE one. use the 86-87 crank sensor together with the pig-tail adapter from Casper's Electronics in CO. you can buy direct from Casper's.

also from Casper's are the the items needed to convert the coilpak/ignition module to the 86-87 setup. this is an example that Brad hinted at regarding parts availability. 84-85 ign module/coilpak is not really readily available. video below illustrates the conversion to 86-87 setup.

the idle stumble referenced in the video and in the comments section is most likely from the use of the factory chip....something a lot of folks are not familiar with....factory chips have way too much timing for today's formulation of pump gas. Eric (TurboTweak chip programmer) reviews this on his website.

84-85 TPS units are readily available from Tomco for mid $40 range. don't be fooled into spending $300 for a hot air TPS. I review that topic of 86-87 and 84-85 TPS units in thread below. hot air begins in post 10.

Which is preferred? Delco TPS sensors(which version) or Standard Motor Products SMP TH49

I believe the intake needs a lot of work . Maybe once we get past threads back it may be there.
They are expensive, I always support vendors helping us guys but the job isn't that hard. That being said I never opened mine up.

some other considerations....

crank sensor on 84-85 is different than 86-87 and expensive if/when you find an OE one. use the 86-87 crank sensor together with the pig-tail adapter from Casper's Electronics in CO. you can buy direct from Casper's.

also from Casper's are the the items needed to convert the coilpak/ignition module to the 86-87 setup. this is an example that Brad hinted at regarding parts availability. 84-85 ign module/coilpak is not really readily available. video below illustrates the conversion to 86-87 setup.

the idle stumble referenced in the video and in the comments section is most likely from the use of the factory chip....something a lot of folks are not familiar with....factory chips have way too much timing for today's formulation of pump gas. Eric (TurboTweak chip programmer) reviews this on his website.

84-85 TPS units are readily available from Tomco for mid $40 range. don't be fooled into spending $300 for a hot air TPS. I review that topic of 86-87 and 84-85 TPS units in thread below. hot air begins in post 10.

Which is preferred? Delco TPS sensors(which version) or Standard Motor Products SMP TH49

good video, I learned something interesting about the 3.8l ignition through personal experience. It WILL run 180degrees out, firing on the exhaust stroke. So if you change the ignition you may have to run your wires opposite so it fires on the intake stroke. A small block chevy works the same way for reference.