looking for recommendations on body mounts.

zapp240

Looking for recommendations and source for a quality set of body mount bushings. Do not want the stiff poly ones, looking for something to give me the best ride (cruising) possible, do not race it. Have Eibach 1" lowering springs all around with Bilstein's, upgraded rear solid control arms and adjustable upper rear control arms. This on my 87 Grand National. thanks for any input.

Get the kirbans rubber ones. Took me 2 hours to do. Rides so much better. Drill tiny holes in the washers and soak the crap outta the threads with PB Blaster. Most of the bolts you can’t get at the threads with spray, so drill the hole, spray the stuff, soak, repeat that 2-3 times and loosen them by hand… Half turn out, half turn in, full turn out, half turn in etc. they will be rusted and they WILL break. I broke the #6 and still don’t have it fixed because I don’t want to cut into the floor of my car. Good luck
785F0ABE-50FC-4AE5-ACC5-72C65021F97D.jpeg
7326C501-3058-4054-95B3-E3A9652180E9.jpeg

... Do not want the stiff poly ones, looking for something to give me the best ride (cruising) possible, do not race it. .

Energy Suspension bushings are the hardest bushings....so they're out.

Prothane, while a poly bushing, is a different / softer compound than the NRG bushings. it's in between the NRG and the OE rubber bushings but won't squish or break down over time like the rubber bushings do. somewhere I have durometer values for all these bushings but probably not needed for this exercise. I went with Prothane for an all stock garage queen so that bushing replacement would not have to be redone again in 30 years due to deteriorating rubber. purchased from Summit.

There is a repro rubber bushing set available. I'll caution that pricing varies wildly for the same exact item. so look around as you can easily spend $150-plus unnecessarily. Mike's Monte's always has them available for purchase together with the bolt kit. link below...

click me => Suspension & Body Mount Parts

also consider replacing the radiator core support bushings as well. these bushings, for position #1, are not included in the sets. available from same vendors as mentioned.

Last edited:
I put Bilsteins on the front of my GN and they felt like a steel bar was welded in there instead of a shock. Horrible. I couldn’t even compress them by hand. Had to use a separate jack to compress them to get the lower bolts in.

I took them off and sold them. KYB’s instead.

Body cushions: I’ve got the Energy polys from Summit. Installed every one. Even on the locations that GM intentionally missed. No complaints.

….but those Bilsteins! Omg…

a note re: Bilsteins....

there are two series of Bilsteins for g-body cars - the B6 series and the AK series.

for street cars, the B6 series shocks are still the prime choice and continue to have the lifetime warranty.

The AK series is a spec shock for circle track racing (dirt or paved) or autocross circuits (SCCA, etc). The valving is looser so as to permit the front to rise and rear to squat when accelerating out of turns, etc. found this on another forum, "The AK shocks are designed for circle track, but work well for autocross because they hold the front down once it compresses, which you probably don't want on a long haul street car." AK series is re-valveable. Warranty is only 90 days for the AK series.

we had a good discussion when the AK series was introduced a few years ago. thread link below.

Bilstein shocks---B6 series or AK series???

Last edited:
There is a repro rubber bushing set available. I'll caution that pricing varies wildly for the same exact item. so look around as you can easily spend $150-plus unnecessarily. Mike's Monte's always has them available for purchase together with the bolt kit. link below...

click me => Suspension & Body Mount Parts

also consider replacing the radiator core support bushings as well. these bushings, for position #1, are not included in the sets. available from same vendors as mentioned.
I recently went with Mike's Monte's rubber mounts, great price and good product. I was very happy. Doesn't come with instructions but you can find those at Bushing Replacement Procedure