Looking for GN mechanic in Chicago

I am in Addison. The car is in my Grandma's garage in Westchester. It is certainly drive able just it acted up last summer and I have not the slightest clue wtf happened so I just cried.. It all started when somehow my powerlogger fried and took out my ecu.. then I replaced the ecu.. I am not sure if the chip is wrong because its not the same one or not but I am hoping in a couple weeks to get a new chip that is made for whats on the car and then go from there because I am pretty sure this isn't the correct chip for what I have.

The wrong chip will most certainly make it run like garbage, if it runs at all. If you still have the old ECM grab the chip off it and switch it over. I would also check to see if you have bad weatherstripping by the A-pillar that's running water to the ECM. ECM's seem to be pretty durable, unless water is hitting it.

The wrong chip will most certainly make it run like garbage, if it runs at all. If you still have the old ECM grab the chip off it and switch it over. I would also check to see if you have bad weatherstripping by the A-pillar that's running water to the ECM. ECM's seem to be pretty durable, unless water is hitting it.
The old chip fried with the ecu, car wouldn't run at all with it in there.

Bumping this old thread because I didn’t find anything more recent.

I got a referral from my previous post years ago who was fantastic, but when I called to schedule him again I found out he passed away. So I’m looking for anyone still working on these cars in the area.

Thanks.

Well, I would wait for Rick to have an open spot . He is a very busy man. We are all busy too. I wouldn't trust just anyone.
Prasad

Who was your guy that passed, Gary?

You'll find out fast a bunch of shops/ guys are gone and few are taking the cars on anymore in general. I found a local old timer I trust to do a bunch but the big stuff is where you'll be in trouble. Literally call up places and see who's got some real long term experience, anything over 20 years with GM will be useful if they're still a quality mechanic.

While everyone talks about Rick I've yet to get in after 6 attempts, don't know personally.

Tommy at A Alert in Chicago is still around and doing LS conversions too.

Sound Performance in Bensenville wil actually take the car in quickly but with Sean gone they don't have anyone there that knows much about a GN (mechanic wise) (Larry the owner tunes them though and seems like a trustworthy guy). They're rough with electrical work so no recommendation there unless maybe Larry does it.

I'm trying to get my DSM champion mechanic to start with GNs, he's taking mine on in a week to fix all the electrical gauge issues SP created and didn't resolve. Hopefully we'll have a beast from Schaumburg willing to wrench on GNs. But like all great mechanics, he's slammed with long waiting lines to get in. But if he does he's no doubt a champion to trust and do things right, I'll report back.

Who was your guy that passed, Gary?

You'll find out fast a bunch of shops/ guys are gone and few are taking the cars on anymore in general. I found a local old timer I trust to do a bunch but the big stuff is where you'll be in trouble. Literally call up places and see who's got some real long term experience, anything over 20 years with GM will be useful if they're still a quality mechanic.

While everyone talks about Rick I've yet to get in after 6 attempts, don't know personally.

Tommy at A Alert in Chicago is still around and doing LS conversions too.

Sound Performance in Bensenville wil actually take the car in quickly but with Sean gone they don't have anyone there that knows much about a GN (mechanic wise) (Larry the owner tunes them though and seems like a trustworthy guy). They're rough with electrical work so no recommendation there unless maybe Larry does it.

I'm trying to get my DSM champion mechanic to start with GNs, he's taking mine on in a week to fix all the electrical gauge issues SP created and didn't resolve. Hopefully we'll have a beast from Schaumburg willing to wrench on GNs. But like all great mechanics, he's slammed with long waiting lines to get in. But if he does he's no doubt a champion to trust and do things right, I'll report back.

John Orlowski in Crystal Lake.

I’ve had no luck with Rick either.

Sounds like you didn’t have a good experience with SP. I’m not looking for electrical, more mechanical in terms of oil leaks. Would you recommend them for that?