looking for a nice GN in chicago area

99viperacr

just what the title says, I don't want a fix er up er, need working a/c, mods are a plus have 10gs cash (can spend a little more on a nice one, I see the ones that are actually selling are going for 10-14k.\im looking at a gn in palatine on Monday, its a nice car but im clueless wat to look for. the dealer is an auction buyer and im sure he didn't even pay more than 9k for the car, hoping to get it around 13(its pretty much my limit) I just don't trust delears. especially aution dealers.

Edit... My limit is higher now

Last edited:
send a link to the car and we can help take a look, at least with the ad. I picked mine up from Chicagoland area bout a year ago.

I live close to Palatine, let me know if you need any help with looking at the car.

Thats the best case scenario if you could meet up with turbojay to look at it. It looks like a nice appearing car. Question, and maybe someone can chime in, when someone switches instrument panels, how are the miles verified? I see it has the gnx gauge style instrument panel which would have been a complete switchout. A pricey one too.
Just take your time looking it over and driving it. Auctions can get someones problem car. Make sure to look at vin and trunk tags, make sure its a real GN. Keep us updated, I hope its as nice as it looks and you can get it for a good price!

Thats the best case scenario if you could meet up with turbojay to look at it. It looks like a nice appearing car. Question, and maybe someone can chime in, when someone switches instrument panels, how are the miles verified? I see it has the gnx gauge style instrument panel which would have been a complete switchout. A pricey one too.
Just take your time looking it over and driving it. Auctions can get someones problem car. Make sure to look at vin and trunk tags, make sure its a real GN. Keep us updated, I hope its as nice as it looks and you can get it for a good price!
Thanks , I spoke with one of our guys here on the phone today, I'm not buying nothing until it's verified , it was pointed out to me by my phone conversation today, that the car might not be a real GN the horn, and it has a buick regal badge on the passenger side.
To me all turbo t cars are grand nationals, I'm buying it to have fun make faster, although I will take my time because there are fully modded cars I've seen go thought here asking 15-16, I'm sure as he'll not paying 18k for that car, it's an auction bought car, they probably have under 10 into it.
I have cash but will not rush anything.

Hello. I bought "Not AVG 6" (Mike Thorton's) '86 Buick T-Type (many mods performed by TurobBuRick) in the Spring of last year. We worked out a deal and I sold him my '68 Chevelle SS396 (replica) for the ’86 T-Type and a truckload of parts: Original rims, intercooler, steering wheel, springs, extra roof panel and moonroof and a bunch more.
I’ve taken great care of this great car and I’m thinking about possibly selling it. Same story as others: Wife wants me to sell the car, takes up room in the garage, I only drive it once in a while so I don’t need it, etc…. Her ’97 Chevy Suburban (bought new) is starting to show a little bit of rust and wants me to sell the Buick so we can buy a regular car. I’ve been dragging my feet and I’m still on the fence about selling the Turbo Buick – only because I know that I probably won’t get a chance to get another great car like this one.
The car was in great shape when I got it and I even made a few more upgrades to it to make it even better. I believe that it has just about every option including power windows, locks and seats plus the Auto Sentry lights. I just recently had the trans fluid flushed and an inspection done at my buddy’s shop. I also added a nice new set of rotors, calipers and pads for the front brakes 2 weeks ago. I had the car up at Great Lakes Dragway one time last summer- just to see what it could do. It ran 11.9s with the stereo equipment still in the trunk. If I remember correctly, Mike was estimating between 500 – 525 HP. If I were to sell it, I would probably be asking around $19,500 and negotiate from there.
If you’re interested in the ’86 Burgundy T-Type, you can send me an e-mail address and I can send you additional information/details, long list of mods, pics and the link to 1 or 2 videos that other members took of the car previously. (I may even have the original link from last year.) I’m sure there are still a few members on the TurboBuick site that still remember the car. Example: Mike Thorton (previous owner), TurboBuRick (MANY mods), Richie Diaz, and more. I didn’t post an ad in the Classifieds section because I’m really not 100% sure I want to let this car go. It really is a great car in great / mint condition. Located in Lombard, IL – 60148. Thanks. -Bob

Hello. I bought "Not AVG 6" (Mike Thorton's) '86 Buick T-Type (many mods performed by TurobBuRick) in the Spring of last year. We worked out a deal and I sold him my '68 Chevelle SS396 (replica) for the ’86 T-Type and a truckload of parts: Original rims, intercooler, steering wheel, springs, extra roof panel and moonroof and a bunch more.
I’ve taken great care of this great car and I’m thinking about possibly selling it. Same story as others: Wife wants me to sell the car, takes up room in the garage, I only drive it once in a while so I don’t need it, etc…. Her ’97 Chevy Suburban (bought new) is starting to show a little bit of rust and wants me to sell the Buick so we can buy a regular car. I’ve been dragging my feet and I’m still on the fence about selling the Turbo Buick – only because I know that I probably won’t get a chance to get another great car like this one.
The car was in great shape when I got it and I even made a few more upgrades to it to make it even better. I believe that it has just about every option including power windows, locks and seats plus the Auto Sentry lights. I just recently had the trans fluid flushed and an inspection done at my buddy’s shop. I also added a nice new set of rotors, calipers and pads for the front brakes 2 weeks ago. I had the car up at Great Lakes Dragway one time last summer- just to see what it could do. It ran 11.9s with the stereo equipment still in the trunk. If I remember correctly, Mike was estimating between 500 – 525 HP. If I were to sell it, I would probably be asking around $19,500 and negotiate from there.
If you’re interested in the ’86 Burgundy T-Type, you can send me an e-mail address and I can send you additional information/details, long list of mods, pics and the link to 1 or 2 videos that other members took of the car previously. (I may even have the original link from last year.) I’m sure there are still a few members on the TurboBuick site that still remember the car. Example: Mike Thorton (previous owner), TurboBuRick (MANY mods), Richie Diaz, and more. I didn’t post an ad in the Classifieds section because I’m really not 100% sure I want to let this car go. It really is a great car in great / mint condition. Located in Lombard, IL – 60148. Thanks. -Bob
Thanks for you post but I want a bottom end built black non chrome bumper car , keep your car don't listen to the wife :)

Last edited:
No problem. As I mentioned, I'm not even sure that I want to let the car go as I probably won't get another chance to have one as nice as this one. "Good Luck" with your search and have a great day. -Bob