Looking for a delco radio with working cassette deck!

CoreyG

CGN86
Hey everyone!
So my cassette deck isn't happy and eats tapes. I know it seems odd and I should just upgrade but I have a ton of tapes and I like the feel. I've called numerous places in Edmonton but no one seems to want to touch it. So any chance someone has one they don't want and are willing to sell?
Greatly appreciate any suggestions too.
Thanks!

Buckshot G/N

Hey everyone!
So my cassette deck isn't happy and eats tapes. I know it seems odd and I should just upgrade but I have a ton of tapes and I like the feel. I've called numerous places in Edmonton but no one seems to want to touch it. So any chance someone has one they don't want and are willing to sell?
Thanks!
Try emailing Tony... barlosal@aol.com
or Craig ... ccc87gn@yahoo.com
Both gentlemen tinker with OEM stock Delco radios, and are quite good in what they do.

regan j

Have you tried a tape cleaner?? generally the rollers get dirty and they grab the tape and it wraps up.

KC87

Hey everyone!
Thanks!

Same, like cassettes also, great for recording your own bumper music onto. Hoping they bring back the 8-tracks, still have a recorder downstairs from 1974 (no, it's not for sale for all those ready to ask :ROFLMAO:). Remember the big suitcases they made to haul them around.

Too bad the DAT tape format never went anywhere.

Sagecoach

I agree with TurboTguy. Get a Q tip with isopropanol alcohol on it and reach back into the tape opening and clean the rubber capstan roller and the silver capstan that it rolls against. They pick up trash and tape residue and become sticky and will grab the tape and unroll it.
Do not use rubbing alcohol. It contains glycerin which will destroy the rubber.

Sagecoach

I agree with TurboTguy. Get a Q tip with isopropanol alcohol on it and reach back into the tape opening and clean the rubber capstan roller and the silver capstan that it rolls against. They pick up trash and tape residue and become sticky and will grab the tape and unroll it.
Do not use rubbing alcohol. It contains glycerin which will destroy the rubber.
Sorry I meant reganj , not TurboTguy

Sagecoach

If cleaning doesn't work, contact 5ONE7 here on the board. He has the radio/cassette from my 87 GN and may sell it. It's like new. I removed it at about 30,000 miles and replaced it with a cd player.

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Same, like cassettes also, great for recording your own bumper music onto. Hoping they bring back the 8-tracks, still have a recorder downstairs from 1974 (no, it's not for sale for all those ready to ask :ROFLMAO:). Remember the big suitcases they made to haul them around.

Too bad the DAT tape format never went anywhere.
The audiophiles are hot on the old stuff. People have finally figured out that while less convenient, the sound quality is better.
Just like the old vacuum tube guitar amps vs the newer amps.. I thought about the reasons for years, and finally settled on "sine vs square wave".

OP,
@grass doctor may have a ready to install original radio available.

KC87

The audiophiles are hot on the old stuff. People have finally figured out that while less convenient, the sound quality is better.
Just like the old vacuum tube guitar amps vs the newer amps.. I thought about the reasons for years, and finally settled on "sine vs square wave".

OP,
@grass doctor may have a ready to install original radio available.

There's something about setting that turn table arm down and hearing that scratchy static for a moment.
But wouldn't throw away the CDs either since I recorded them off the older formats, lol.

grass doctor

Dream Catcher
There's something about setting that turn table arm down and hearing that scratchy static for a moment.
But wouldn't throw away the CDs either since I recorded them off the older formats, lol.
little off topic ...but @KC87 should enjoy this....as far as radio/cassette i do have a fresh redone one with Aux port added in front .... work done to it includes re-flow soldering, replacing sound board capacitors, bulbs, cleaning and belt for the cassette

KC87

little off topic ...but @KC87 should enjoy this....as far as radio/cassette i do have a fresh redone one with Aux port added in front .... work done to it includes re-flow soldering, replacing sound board capacitors, bulbs, cleaning and belt for the cassette

But are they mobile for some good bumper music like these?