looking for 86 87 engine and trans

Rob (HI85WH1) has an engine, but I'm not sure if it came out of a running car.

Is this a replacement or a conversion?

Does the engine need rebuilding?

I know a couple of high mileage engines 150K+ that still run/ran great.... One is in my garage, although it's not mine. The other (short block) is in my T-Type (The wonder motor). LOL :)

Well the story behind the car is that my dad is the original owner and he passed it down to me a little while ago. The car has about 106k miles on it. The only mods is a trans cooler I just put in a shift kit and a ram air intake. So now I just want it fast and reliable. So I figured I would rebuild it so it would start out fresh. But now thinking about it I should just put some parts on and just have fun. Thanks geoff.

106000 miles??? Sheesh it's just getting broken in !!!!:) I would bolt on parts and have fun. You'd be amazed the abuse these things take with high miles. I had 120000 on mine when it was in the low 11's.

106K is nothing. :)

Just do the basics.

For the engine:

fuel pump & hotwire
exhaust
3" downpipe
injectors & chip (your old injectors are probably clogged by now)
alcohol kit

Crank up the boost to 24lbs or so... Fun, fun, fun! :cool:

Personally, I would lose the ram air,and just go with an open element filter.

Don't forget about the scan tools, knock gauge, braces and suspension. :)

thanks for the input guys. i guess for now i will just bolt on some stuff and have fun with it. btw i forgot to say its a 86 white ttype.

Yeah, 106K is a perfect ready to beat on motor...

Geoff's "wonder motor" ran deep in the 11's before the track closed... (just hours before)

There are guys on the board with 200K plus on basically stock bottom ends.

Ed is going to use my spare as a rebuild core, then give me his when he gets it all done.

Maybe I'll visit my GN this week..... I havent seen it in a while... (like 5 months...)