Looking for 78-80 esc

blacknight80

hey guys,

My project has come to a screeching halt due limited time and budget. I had some big plans of a j and s controller but I don't think I will be able to make that happen any time soon. I know you guys advised me to stay away from the older style turbo control centres but I think it may be my only option at this time as I'm pretty sure my esc module (82' unsure if it's 1st or 2nd design) shit the bed and I'm running with out any timing control right now. When I plug the dizzie to the harness the car stalls and won't start up again. So I think my best bet would be to modify another quadrajet that I already have and get rid of the feedback carb and try to find a control centre. I found one for a riv on eBay for 250 but I'm hesitant to buy it because it's listed as 83(didn't have them) and it might not work once I get it. Are all the turbo boxes interchangble and what is a reasonable price for one (with and without the dizzie)?

You need all the parts for the 78-79 control, not just the knock controller. If you have an 82 system then you have to stick with that or get the dizzy, knock sensor, controller, and PEVC from an earlier car.

The car has a 80 intake manifold with a pevc in it and the knock sensor is the same isn't it? I should be able to find a dizzie its just the controller that I haven't had any luck with.

I think I have one. I'll check tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The car has a 80 intake manifold with a pevc in it and the knock sensor is the same isn't it? I should be able to find a dizzie its just the controller that I haven't had any luck with.
The sensors were the same until 82 or 83 so it should work. If the PEVC is not working right I can get you in touch with someone that can repair it. I've got a couple of the boxes laying around so that's not an issue. See what bison has and if he doesn't I do.

The first design looks like a box about half the size of an 8-track.
The second design looks like a later model ESC:
41Pq68LLSQL.jpg

Each has it's own short wiring harness. I always wonder if I used the second design harness if I could plug in a ESC module and knock sensor from a '84- NA Buick V6. (When they in the junkyards, you could grab them super cheap)

Might be worth considering to try if you can find one (proably easier than finding a good Turbo Control Center.

I think I have first design but at any rate I would love to get rid of my electric carb and because the controllers are impossible to find. We will see what bison comes up with. I'm up in Canada and we didn't see any computers until 87-88 so it is really tough to find any interchangeable parts. And the 4.1 wasn't a popular engine choice either. Everyone ordered a 301 or 305s. I have seen one park ave with a six in it in the last 10 years since I began to score junkyards.

I would love a j and s box but my 5 month old daughter has adjusted my budgetary priorities. Haha

Did you have any luck finding the turbo control center?

Thanks

Cody
I didn't get to the shop on Monday and forgot to look today. I'll take a look tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sensors were the same until 82 or 83 so it should work. If the PEVC is not working right I can get you in touch with someone that can repair it. I've got a couple of the boxes laying around so that's not an issue. See what bison has and if he doesn't I do.
Hey Charlie,

I don't think pevr is working. What is the protocol to test one. If I suck on either of the two ports I'm getting air flowing through the other port. Do o need to replicate boost to test it?

Cody

Hey Charlie,

I don't think pevr is working. What is the protocol to test one. If I suck on either of the two ports I'm getting air flowing through the other port. Do o need to replicate boost to test it?

Cody
You need to first make sure that it holds pressure/vacuum at the 2 nipples. If it does then you need a pressure source that can be tuned down to 2 psi or ower. That pressure source is hooked up to the threaded section, and a vacuum source is hooked to one of the nipples. Put vacuum to the nipple in question first and then put 2 psi of pressure on the threaded section. If it still holds vacuum then you need to increase it until you loose vacuum at the nipples. If it holds at 2 psi and then doesn't as you raise it, then it's ok. If it holds vacuum all the time then there's a problem. If it doesn't hold vacuum at all then it needs rebuilding.

You need to first make sure that it holds pressure/vacuum at the 2 nipples. If it does then you need a pressure source that can be tuned down to 2 psi or ower. That pressure source is hooked up to the threaded section, and a vacuum source is hooked to one of the nipples. Put vacuum to the nipple in question first and then put 2 psi of pressure on the threaded section. If it still holds vacuum then you need to increase it until you loose vacuum at the nipples. If it holds at 2 psi and then doesn't as you raise it, then it's ok. If it holds vacuum all the time then there's a problem. If it doesn't hold vacuum at all then it needs rebuilding.

That is great. I am done before I started I guess. When I applied vacuum to the nipples it didn't hold. What is your opinion on replacing the pevr with a three way valve? You mentioned that you know where I can get my old one repaired any idea of cost and timelines on that? Any word on how the repair holds up over time?

Cody

Join the 310 Garage and look up Min Tia. He can rebuild the PEVC and it's not that expensive compared to the other alternatives.