Looking at a GN: Question about what "Exceeds mechanical limits" means??

LomoMike

GN Rookie
Hey guys, need some help with this one. Looking at a GN in a few weeks in PA. Ran the vehicle history report and it got a low score on Autocheck because of something reading "exceeds mechanical limits" on the report. Im assuming this means that the odometer has rolled over past 99,999 miles. Ive attached a pic of a section of the report. Take a look. Correct me if i am wrong but this car would really have at least 240,000 miles on it??

Car looks to be in great shape and engine and trans rebuilt. Guy is asking $13k. Need to know if its worth it before i make the trip from NY.
If this post isn't in the right place feel free to move it.

Heres the details from his posting:

Shes a 1987 grand national with about 140k miles but about 25-30k on rebuilt eng and trans, im sure im going to forget some stuff but here we go...
Interior:
Engraved door trim plates
Console overlay kit
Dash panel overlay kit
New rug
New seat covers
Trunk kit
New gas gauge
Headliner

Suspension/ brakes:
KBY shocks
Hotchkis lower trailing arms
New rear brake lines
New bushings
New body mounts
Mickey thompson e.t streets

Engine:
70mm billet style aluminum throttle body and upper manifold
Garret t49 turbo
Kenne bell ram air kit
Stealth 7th injector
15 row 3in outlet intercooler
3 inch stainless steel downpipe
3 bar map
Boost-a-pump
Scanmaster 2
RJC powerplate
Dual fans
Biggie oil filter adapter
Steel braided oil cooler lines
MSD wires
New ignition module
New valve springs
New valve cover gaskets
ALKY kit
2 1/2 inch hi-flow dual exhaust
New o2 sensor, cam sensor
New alternator

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 179
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    893.5 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
It can't show 100,000 miles on a 5 digit odometer, so that's the "exceeds mechanical limits". The way I read it, the car had a bunch of miles put on it in a few years and then sat for a while longer. Most likely is 140K, but could be 240K. Good luck with your research!

It can't show 100,000 miles on a 5 digit odometer, so that's the "exceeds mechanical limits". The way I read it, the car had a bunch of miles put on it in a few years and then sat for a while longer. Most likely is 140K, but could be 240K. Good luck with your research!
So you dont think that original "626" miles in 1994 is really 100,626 miles? Thats what i was thinking. Seems too low for 1994. If this were the case im reading it as 240k.
Worth $13k?

Note to self: don't reply to threads before coffee kicks in;).
Just off of the report I kinda agree with you except that the car gained 50K miles in 3 days (4-1 to 4-4-97) and then gained another 61K between 4-4-97 and 10-20-98. I'm thinking that "independent inspection" mileage was entered wrong, but without further research it will be tough to tell. Carfax type reports can be notoriously bad for that kind of thing, and once it's branded wrong (if that's what this is) it's about impossible to reverse. Unless your keeping the car for life, that will always be a question for future buyers.
Is it worth 13K? Sure, probably in parts. How's the body/ paint? If it's great then your probably closer to that figure, if not, might as well add 8-10K for paint these days. It's SO easy to get upside down on these cars real fast. Take someone that knows TR's with you or have it appraised. Best of luck on your adventure!

Hey, could be 340k or even more or much less. These cars are getting up on thirty years old. Unless you know the history I wouldn't be going by an odometer. Rolling them back ain't that dificult.

If it is a nice car, no rust or mechanical issues, and decent paint n interior it might bring what they are asking.
I'd be posting to see if there is a local willing to take a look and send pix before you make a journey. Or a road trip for fun might be in order.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

Some states are weird in this. When I bought mine in ohio, it had 60486 on the clock. Brought it to Texas and when it was registered, I was told they had to say that it exceeded mechanical limits even though mileage was documented correct. The reason I was given was that it was over 20 years old and only had 5-digit odometer. I don't really care as I'll never get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it numbers matching? I see that a couple independent checks in nj. That is a red flag as nj has state run inspection stations. Also and no offence , alabama was a state to clean title .

Is it numbers matching? I see that a couple independent checks in nj. That is a red flag as nj has state run inspection stations. Also and no offence , alabama was a state to clean title .
What do you mean by alabama was a "state to clean title"?

Where was the car original titled? A few states dont require much so you have to be careful. The pic of your carfax showing independent nj checking would make me nervous. Is it a numbers matching car?

Looks like it was originally titled in Alabama. Asked the guy if it was numbers matching. He said he never really checked into it. Hes had it since 2008.

Where was the car original titled? A few states dont require much so you have to be careful. The pic of your carfax showing independent nj checking would make me nervous. Is it a numbers matching car?
Looks like it was originally titled in Alabama. Asked the guy if it was numbers matching. He said he never really checked into it. Hes had it since 2008.

I would be wondering about the auto auction myself and the discrepancies in the mileage.
Like what was already said , if it's rust free and nice paint/interior ...could be a good buy.

Bryan

Heres some more better pics i got today of the car. Guy said his bottom line is $12k. Let me get some opinions, would you buy it if the car is in fact the way it looks in the pics?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 112
The bottom door scares me a little. I think for 12-13k you might be able to find a little bit cleaner car. Of you do go buy it check rpo codes for vin verification etc. Me personally I'd look for something a little cleaner

The fact that it has the 145mph likely explains the mileage discrepenacies. There were different versions of that type of speedo and many caused the odometer to read incorrectly and an aftermarket cluster could have showed any mileage when it was installed.

Gotcha, awesome info guys thanks for the advice. Ill keep looking. Anyone knows of a clean car around the $10k-$13k range let me know!

Gotcha, awesome info guys thanks for the advice. Ill keep looking. Anyone knows of a clean car around the $10k-$13k range let me know!

I know where a nice rust free 87 T-Type is for around $10k. Its a mid-low 11 second car. It does have the A/C box removed which of course can be put back in if desired.

The brake pedal pad and steering wheel wear dont look like a 300,000 mile car to me.

In my opinion milage details are often mis documented. I recently purchased a GN w around 54,000 miles on the clock. Went to license branch to get title work done. They asked me how many miles were on the car. I said i dont really know. The new title came blank in the milage column and stated exceeed mechanical limits. Haard to say wether the car has 54,000 or 154,000 miles, I dont really know.

I have seen all kinds of crazy things. I remember working in shop when i went to college and pulling in a 1988 monte carlo SS for an oil change. When the car was up the hoist i noticed the speedo cable was un hooked from the trans. When i brough the car down to put the oil change maintnence sticker in it, i saw the clock showed 4,300 miles. This was in 1994. obvioiusly this guy was keeping the milage down onhis car on purpose. He dropped his car off for the 9.99 oil change special we were running, i am sure he took great care of his car.

My point is the odometer pretty much means nothing in my opinion

I know where a nice rust free 87 T-Type is for around $10k. Its a mid-low 11 second car. It does have the A/C box removed which of course can be put back in if desired.
Thanks man but ive looked at a few t types. Really tryin to get my hands on a GN

Mileage is not a concern with a 30 yr old car. This isn't a 2010 Honda Accord, these are collector vehicles.
Be more concern with mechanical and electrical condition as these may have hidden gremlins.
Have it inspected by a certified mechanic on a lift.

Remember, these are 1980s GMs at heart, not the highest quality of parts. Look at bushings, shocks, etc to see if they are worn.
These little things add up quickly, ask me I know.

But, if all checks out, looks like it could be a fun car to drive.