look at these turds

Anthony K

"FAT TONY"
Home Cars Engines Repairs News Resources Racing Books Non-Mopar Search Contact History
See the home page for the weekly special features and new concepts and production cars. Or sign up for weekly updates, now hosted by Allpar and not Topica! ... visit our friends at Executive Enabler.

Sponsored by Howell Automotive and NeonCars, two excellent front-drive high-performance shops.
For buying and selling cars and parts, try these classifieds.

Allpar · Board Guidelines and Legal Agreement Help Search Members Calendar Garage
Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

Allpar Forums -> Allpar Garage -> Turbo Engines

Buick Grand National, anyone know anything about them?
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
O² Cool Posted: Mar 1 2004, 12:50 PM

Normal User

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,357

Hey guys I know this is dodge only, but i just baught a buick Grand National and i need to get some information on them for repair, and maitnence.

Anyone know any tech forums such as this that would help, or know anything about them?

Thanx

O² Cool

Scottyfordy Posted: Mar 9 2004, 01:27 AM

Normal User

Member No.: 9,281

All I know is that they're extremely, extremely, extremely, fast when turbocharged.

Struts 'N' Stuff Auto Posted: Mar 9 2004, 01:36 AM

Normal User

Member No.: 11,567

The Buick Grand National was a sharp looking quick car when new, but with all that power, I think most owners drove them hard, and they fell apart fast. Everyone that I knew that had one, was getting rid of them at just over 100,000kms, as they were full of problems and falling apart.

As far as how quick they were, well I had a 92 Dodge Stealth TT, and I blew the doors off them after 40kms per hour. They were quick, but not that quick, as they are fairly heavy cars. My Stealth's best quarter mile stock was 14.4 seconds and the Grand National's Turbo time of 15.7.

I am not aware of any Websites, and Forums for these cars.

Good luck with your car and your search.

O² Cool Posted: Mar 9 2004, 10:10 AM

Normal User

Actually the grand national had a quarter mile time well under what you stated of 15.7 depending on the year. I believe that motor trend rated them in the 1/4 i 87 at 14.1 however this is in 87 when they were new and not bagged. As well 87 was the fastest year turning 275hp. (yeah right!) they severly under rated the power on these cars.

O² Cool

O² Cool Posted: Mar 9 2004, 11:05 AM

Normal User

http://www.****************/forums/index.php just found this forum on turbo buicks. maybe anyone else witha any questions could use it to.

O² Cool

ButchN Posted: Mar 9 2004, 10:27 PM

Abby something

Group: Forum Leaders
Member No.: 1,722

This forum is for turbo Mopars, not GMs.

For more info in GN's, go here: http://www.gnttype.org/

Speed Racer Posted: Mar 10 2004, 02:35 PM

New User

Member No.: 11,104

Hey guys. I bought one of those Grand Nationals brand new in 1987 and it sits in the garage next to my 1970 Pontiac GTO. I don't drive it that nuch. It just clicked over to 34,000 miles. Yes the GN is a very quick car.. Unfortunately, it has a rev limiter that kicks in at 124 mph. As for the guy with the Stealth, did you ever thing that the person driving the turbo buick had slowed down to 40 to let you catch up? Have a great day.

GremlinXguy Posted: Mar 12 2004, 03:50 PM

Normal User

Member No.: 11,255

I know I beat a T type pretty bad. It felt good too because he had been bragging all day at the track that he was the fastest car their. He wasn't :D . they're pretty heavy cars, and 275hp is right. The stock turbo's didn't produce much boost at all.

gxg

They run high 13's when pumped up a bit. At least the one i raced did. Something like 13.7 @ 103.

This post has been edited by GremlinXguy on Mar 12 2004, 03:55 PM

95Spirit Posted: Mar 13 2004, 11:01 PM

Normal User

Member No.: 10,333

I have a video of a grand national running a 10.01 quarter mile.

Wish I was that guy.

backyard tech Posted: Mar 16 2004, 05:53 PM

New User

Member No.: 11,812

:huh: Never heard of the Buick Grand National???
Dude they are a legend in automotive circles.
Just like the tubo Dodges they respond really well to small mods. There is a large following for them. Many hop up parts are available.Stock times were in the low 14's the web site gntype.org list some individuals that runmid 7 sec in the quarter at 170+ mph. I dont think a 7 sec car is streetable, you will find engine recepies fo 10-11sec that are. Think about it the GN 's runaprox 3600-3800#...... Id hang on to that GN and let it complement any Chrysler turbo car that you may own.

O² Cool Posted: Mar 17 2004, 03:35 PM

Normal User

The Grand National curbed in at 3800 lbs, pretty heavy for a sports car however it came factory with a posi trac rear end, and was designed with one thing in mind going fast! As for Boost i find that the factory boost settings for most dodges were quite low in relative comparison. I have seen eagle talon tsi's that only run 4lbs from factory, and most of the 2.2's ran 8 lbs from factory. Thge Grand National was running in around the same factory boost levals of the dodge 4cyl's. However there is one major difference, when you add 8 psi boost to a 2.2 you bring it up 40 hp. When you add 8 psi boost to a 3.8 v6, you gain almost 100 hp. Thats nuts! As well with the simple plug and play of a new computer chip, you take the car from 8 psi to 17 psi, and it eliminates the limiter. Makes the car really fast for $100.

A lot of fun to drive in a heavy package, but way quicker than any stealth i have ever seen!

The 8psi is a rough estimation i have not found on the net yet the factory boost settings for this car, and my turbo has problems right now so i can't tell you the exact turbo settings.

O² Cool

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Turbo Engines | Next Newest »

Close Topic Options
Track this topic
Receive email notification when a reply has been made to this topic and you are not active on the board.

Subscribe to this forum
Receive email notification when a new topic is posted in this forum and you are not active on the board.

Download / Print this Topic
Download this topic in different formats or view a printer friendly version.

Forum Home Search Help General Tech Support - Tech Support and Help Vehicles by Type - Minivans - Trucks, SUVs, and Vans - Jeep Vehicles in Production - Neon (PL) - LX: 300, Magnum, Charger, etc - Pacifica (CS) - Stratus, Sebring, Cirrus, Breeze (JA/JX/JR) ---- Stratusphere (Redirect Forum) - PT Cruiser (Redirect Forum) - Ram Pickups (modern) - Durango and Dakota Vintage Vehicles - EEK! - Every Extended K-Car - G: Daytona / Laser ---- GFAQ: G-Body Frequently Asked Questions - LH: Intrepid, Concorde, etc - A: Valiant/Dart-based "Compacts" 1959-1982 - F-M (Volare, Diplomat, Aspen, etc) 1976-89 - B/C/D/E: Rear Drive and Muscle Cars - Y: Fifth Avenue /Imperial - L: Omni / Horizon - Pre-1960 - AMC Allpar Garage - Performance - Turbo Engines - Project Cars Other - Chrysler Chat / General ---- Events - Shows - Meets - NASCAR and Racing - News and Rumors ---- Non-Mopar Discussion (Redirect Forum) - Buy and Sell - Faux Mopars ---- ASOG - Avenger/Sebring Owners Group (Redirect Forum)