Long upcoming trip

'87 Turbo "T"

What a complete shitshow!!
Ok everyone so here goes LOL.

Planning on taking a trip next month & driving the Turbo "T". Going to be around 2,000 miles roundtrip & as with any other car(more so with an almost 35 year old car.) of course I'm nervous. I of course will take a selection of hand tools, a spare ECM, coil pack, & a few spare sensors I have. Not like you can usually just pick those up sometimes. I also have more than one anti-theft set-up. All column locks seem to be out of stock.

Mechanically I feel very confident. The car has been off the road whilst I take care of some items. Here are most the items I've taken care of:
TA49 turbo
Fresh head gaskets to go with ported steel heads
New TR6 set-up
New plugs and wires
New timing chain & tensioner
New TA front cover & Flowkooler water pump
Radiator that has been gone through, cleaned & given the okay
All new hoses
3.5" MAF & translator
New vacuum brake set-up
New valve springs
New TA thick shaft rocker arms(with new rockers & RJC shaft supports)
Newer serp belt(less than 500 miles)
New tensioner pulley bearing
Kirban billet adjustable FPR
Rebuilt alternator(rebuilt by shop not auto part store alternator)
Caspers: Howtwire, field fix, knock sensor, & battery cables
Freshly built Janis trans
New "U" joints & straps
New Front/rear shocks & springs
Diff fluid change
Fuel filter(less than 500 miles)
Turbotweak 255 fuel pump(never run)
Racetronix upgraded fuel sender wiring

Any other suggestions from youse guys? I'm aware any car can brake down but it's not like you just want to leave our cars sitting on the side of the road or taken to some strange yahoos shop. Let me know of any tips or ideas you guys may have as well.

Thanks!

salvageV6

Daily Driver
Tire repair kit and a full sized spare and a can of slime.
Spare belt and right size wrenches and tool kit loaded.
Spare radiator hoses and a jug of water for a long trip, maybe a jug of oil Mobil 1 'cause it works the best. :p

I would drive that car 500 miles at least with all the new stuff functioning BEFORE I would consider taking it on a trip. Just my .02.

'87 Turbo "T"

Good points fellas! I like the idea of pre-driving as well. Probably will be 500ish miles a day.

Luckilly I have extra rims to put a spare onto. I also have an extra belt, test light, & fuses.

2QUICK2B6

Black Car Fever
If u don’t worry it will last forever ! If u start to care abt it every thing will happen

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
I'm in the process of changing out the vacuum lines, boots & check valves. If you haven't done that, you might want to buy several feet of 5/32 & 7/32 hose.

Maybe a can or two of Octanium or Boostane.

'87 Turbo "T"

I'm in the process of changing out the vacuum lines, boots & check valves. If you haven't done that, you might want to buy several feet of 5/32 & 7/32 hose.

Maybe a can or two of Octanium or Boostane.
Check valves were replaced just last year & I've replaced & zip tied all of my vacuum lines with silicone vacuum hose.

KC87

Sounds like you have it covered pretty well. Go and enjoy and have fun. If you planned for every
contingency you'd need to haul a cargo trailer behind you.
The most important thing to have is your laptop with wifi or smart phone to stay in contact with turbo-buicks.com,
that's for the spare brain power when needed.

2QUICK2B6

Black Car Fever
Usta go states over drag racing when my car was mid low 11’s an drive it there an back .no worry’s

TurboTnZ06

Go on red!
I've driven mine a bunch. I'd check and zip tie all vacuum lines. Spare coil pack w/ module attached, couple spare plug wires, ecm, MAF. Biggest thing that failed on mine all the time over the years is the stupid cam sensor. Snapped shaft pins, shredded composite gears, broken tab and screw backed out cracked the sensor ring and dug into the cap. I'd just bring a spare cam sensor but these days they are like $500 lol I used to buy them for $78 complete...

TireFryer

The New Kid
I've driven mine a bunch. I'd check and zip tie all vacuum lines. Spare coil pack w/ module attached, couple spare plug wires, ecm, MAF. Biggest thing that failed on mine all the time over the years is the stupid cam sensor. Snapped shaft pins, shredded composite gears, broken tab and screw backed out cracked the sensor ring and dug into the cap. I'd just bring a spare cam sensor but these days they are like $500 lol I used to buy them for $78 complete...
Just a warning, I think I had either a bad crank sensor or mistimed cam sensor… but the tr6 stranded me 70 miles from home… even with everything I had prepared for the day… the one thing I didn’t have was a stock coil and module to get me home…

'87 Turbo "T"

Just a warning, I think I had either a bad crank sensor or mistimed cam sensor… but the tr6 stranded me 70 miles from home… even with everything I had prepared for the day… the one thing I didn’t have was a stock coil and module to get me home…
Turbo Nasty just rebuilt my cam sensor so hopefully good there. I do have a known working back up coil & module.

Cleaned up crank sensor when I put the front cover on. No back up crank sensor though. Perhaps I should look into one. I think the others are semi easy to find.