Logging Coolant Pressure?

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Anyone logging the coolant pressure? If so, where did you install the sensor in the block/head/intake?

Thanx.

I think regularly you should see what ever your cap is rated for. but if a head is "lifting" the pressure could go higher. I just wanted to see what I was getting. Maybe Mr. Boost231 will have a better answer.

I got the idea by listening to these podcasts on https://realtuners.com/realtuners-radio-episodes/page/4/
Another tip was the logging the ampere draw on the fuel pump. I find it pretty interesting. Though they do babble sometimes.

If the coolant pressure exceeds the cap pressure, you're going to see it as air in the overflow tank or leakage out from under the cap.

You'll also have a blown head gasket or a cracked block, which will show up in a number of other ways.

I'm in favor of logging as much as possible, but coolant pressure is going to be way down on the list.

Remember, the internet isn't a library. It's a dumpster. Critical thinking will save you many hours of wasted time and thousands of dollars.

Just because the coolant pressure goes up during a run doesn't mean you have blown a gasket. Heads lift, fasteners stretch, Heads and blocks flex and tuning can be done to prevent things like this from happening. I cant be watching under the hood at the coolant overflow while making a run.

What do you think is ahead of it on the list of things to log that aren't on the scanmaster already? I already think that logging ampere load to the fuel pump is good data too.

Just because the coolant pressure goes up during a run doesn't mean you have blown a gasket. Heads lift, fasteners stretch, Heads and blocks flex and tuning can be done to prevent things like this from happening. I cant be watching under the hood at the coolant overflow while making a run.

What do you think is ahead of it on the list of things to log that aren't on the scanmaster already? I already think that logging ampere load to the fuel pump is good data too.

In my case: fuel pressure, oil pressure, transmission line pressure, oil temp, transmission fluid temp, front wheel speed, and driveshaft speed (replaced factory VSS). That's just what I've got hooked up now. The next thing will be an IAT ahead of the intercooler so I can diff the manifold temp with the ambient and actually know how well my intercooler is working.

Logging the fuel pump amperage would be pretty geeky, but you can get a good idea of that by logging the fuel pressure. If the thing's overdriving the return, the fuel pressure climbs. If the pump is failing the fuel pressure lags. If it gets really stupid the system voltage will fall.

But that's just me. If it's running right and the coolant temps are under control, I see no need to log the water pressure. By the time that data is useful, you've progressed to the point where you're customizing the impeller on the water pump to reduce drag on the accessory drive. That's NASCAR/LeMans/F1 level stuff.

Do you have your traction control working yet?
I am with you on the things you are logging. These are just two more I think might be useful for keeping tabs on things. The fuel pump ampere draw can be used to see about the filter and if the pump is going bad , just another way in addition to the fuel pressure.

Information can easily be dismissed but if you don't have the data it is pretty difficult to analyze it.

I think I found a better sensor for the fuel pump ampere draw.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/b-b-smartworx-inc/BB-JC10F50-V/BB-JC10F50-V-ND/7426454

Do you have your traction control working yet?

Yes, and it's fantastic. I mash the pedal coming out of a turn and the computer sorts it out. What used to cause the back to step out and me have to lift to get it back in line and the turbo to lose spool is a blinking light on the dash, a timing pull, 2psi of boost dumped, and the car keeps going.

Just the fact that a hunk of specially cut plate in between the plenum and lower manifold improves the distribution is kinda scary. Then we spray alcohol into an up pipe, and when that isn't enough add a second nozzle. haha That ought to give it some fuel distribution problems.

It is amazing anyones car even runs.

Yes, and it's fantastic. I mash the pedal coming out of a turn and the computer sorts it out. What used to cause the back to step out and me have to lift to get it back in line and the turbo to lose spool is a blinking light on the dash, a timing pull, 2psi of boost dumped, and the car keeps going.
Is it progressive or just a small pull of the timing/boost? Ive looked at the programming for it. Just need the sensors. I think i have settled on the cherry gs100101 . But that is down the list of dreams.

Is it progressive or just a small pull of the timing/boost? Ive looked at the programming for it. Just need the sensors. I think i have settled on the cherry gs100101 . But that is down the list of dreams.

It's progressive based on the amount of slip detected.

Just the fact that a hunk of specially cut plate in between the plenum and lower manifold improves the distribution is kinda scary. Then we spray alcohol into an up pipe, and when that isn't enough add a second nozzle. haha That ought to give it some fuel distribution problems.

It is amazing anyones car even runs.
The only downside of having individual EGT monitoring is seeing serious problems and not having the ability to do anything about it. But at the very least you can tune to your leanest cylinder.

Power plates, plenum spacers, flow matched injectors, creatively placed alky nozzles. Using these things is nothing more than throwing parts at it with a wish. Because you’ll never really know without the information to prove it.

Do you have a blow-off valve?

I’m not a big fan of them, but for your application it would seem to be almost a necessity.

Yes, I put that on in late 2016. Once I got a Powerlogger, I found out the car was taking almost two seconds to respool after a throttle lift. Turbo stall is a real thing. So I put a Tial 40mm valve on it. It respools in a quarter of a second now. It made a huge difference.

There are a bunch of comparable sensors and electrically identical like the GS100502 red anodized aluminum housing but a little cheaper.
AG.