Locking at top of 3rd WOT with single disc?

6SENSE

Just wondering how big of a deal is it locking the TCC with a Precision 9.5" single disc. As the title indicates this would not be flipping the switch at the beginning of the run but at the top of 3rd. Would the "wear and tear" factor be minimal and thus "not such a big deal"? Or a big "NO" dont even think about it? Which brings me to: how big a deal is it anyway worrying about locking the convertor? I know I have always heard 2mph/2tenths, but on a 10.99 or better capable setup running mid or better 11s most of the time and street/strip (not all out race) do I really have to even worry about it?
I like all that I have read on this particular convertor for all around driveability, performance and longevity and thinking about grabbing one for my new setup.

Making decision real soon (like today:rolleyes: ) so please help me out asap.

Thanks!

I say, HELL NO.

Not enough friction material to handle the power of a 11 second car.

Just a few weeks ago, buddy of mine swapped a chip into his car, he forgot that it was setup to lock in 3rd gear only.

Well, it locked and he said it made all kinds of noises when it locked up, it was an honest mistake.

He went 10.80 and i think the convertor may have been hurt locking it up during that one pass.

I would just get a JW convertor out of florida. Ive got one in my green 87 turbo regal and love it. Non lockup.
BW

I have a tans customer with a single disc that has been locked up in 3rd for 4 years running from bottom 11`s to 10.7x.

Do I recommend it, no. But, to each his/her own... :biggrin:

Brian

I have a tans customer with a single disc that has been locked up in 3rd for 4 years running from bottom 11`s to 10.7x.

Do I recommend it, no. But, to each his/her own... :biggrin:

Brian

What's a tans and what converter?

I lock mine up in 3rd gear, high 11 car 114mph about 400 or so RWHP.

Only been about 12 total passes or so at the track since it was rather easy reaching my goal with the Turbo Tweak chip and SMC alky. install.

I guess it would depend on how much you plan on racing it?

However with your combo. I'd buy the multi-disk one and have no fear. :cool:

"What's a tans and what converter?"

I think he's Brian the transmission guy from MI.

Probably meant trans. dunno about the converter?

Mines a 0 pump single disk, 3K stall.

It will definitely add some wear and tear quickly. With speeding up the life of your convertor.

precisions single disk do not hold well at WOT. But most of the popular singles should last for quite a while being locked up in 3rd. 9/11s, pro-torques (should) pats etc.... should all be built to take WOT lockup.

I wouldn't recommend ANY single disk, if your planning on WOT lock ups. Go with a mulity disk, or non lock up. Brian

I agree with these guys here Justin. I would get a multi disk or a non lockup converter. Buy once and be done with it.

But then again he would have to live with the noise from the vigilante(sounds like marbles shaking in a can):frown:

But then again he would have to live with the noise from the vigilante(sounds like marbles shaking in a can):frown:

Used to rattle bad with the 7 disc, the 5 disc isnt as bad:redface:

Ive got a 9/11 in my daily driver, once it locks ohhhh baby!:eek:
Feels like another shift!

BW

Used to rattle bad with the 7 disc, the 5 disc isnt as bad:redface:

Ive got a 9/11 in my daily driver, once it locks ohhhh baby!:eek:
Feels like another shift!

BW

How long have you had that billet 9/11 in the car?
What stall are you running?
How many wot passes at the track?
Most of all do you get a good rpm drop on the shift?

How long have you had that billet 9/11 in the car?
What stall are you running?
How many wot passes at the track?
Most of all do you get a good rpm drop on the shift?

Ive had the 9/11 convertor in the silver limited for at least 4 years or more.

It stalls to about 3400-3500 at 10psi of boost, it was for my PTE54 turbo at the time.
Probably 100 passes at the track, 1000 street passes:confused: I dunno, alot of street passes LOL

When the convertor is unlocked, it only drops about 600 rpm during the WOT shifts, I really couldnt tell you when its locked, probably 1200 or 1500RPM

I do like it, and if money grew on trees, id get one for the white car in my sig.

BW

Well, I got a real nice deal on the precision 9.5" 6pump single disc and so I went for it. With a gt6152 or a ta63 (havent decided for sure but leaning towards the gt) maybe I will make enough power that I wont even be worrying about locking it up? [I know Im going to want to try it at least once in back to back runs to see what type of difference it makes].
Maybe when the tranny finally screams "no more!" I can change then. Ive got some time before the new setup comes together so maybe if someone comes along with a 5disc in as great shape as the convertor I bought (100 miles, practically new) who wants to trade I can think about it.

My theory on this is people will slap in a single disk and lock it up before the clutch material has a chance to seat and smoke it.

I personally think the clutch has a better chance of living if you put some street miles on it before any WOT lock ups.

But that is just me.

Would I WOT a single disk converter? Hell Yes I would :)

I have had a 5 and 7 disc Vigilante. Both were quiet. Maybe I was lucky. ;)