lock cylinder

equalizer442

i baught another 442 today for my girlfriend, this one is a 87 442 with t tops, hurst olds wing, power everything, a 10 disk cd changer, spair hood, spair tranny with tq converter, and fully documented all for 1000.

i work with the man that i baught it from and he worked at the olds dealership and checked the car in when it was a new car (he owned 3 442s) were real good friends and he cut me a hell of a deal.

the only problem that the car has is the ignition lock cylinder, i can start the car with out the keys. i found this on oldspower.com
http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

my problem is there is a plastic cover over top of the lock plate thats not pictured on that site and i cant figure out how to remove it. can any one give me some advice on how to remove that plastic cover so i can reach the lock plate and get the ignition cly off. i dont want to break it on my spair because ill need to know how to remove it on the good colum

ive got a spair column from a 83 cutlass with 30k miles so im going to swap the ignition switches and recut some new keys on my curtis.

ok, ive got the cover off, simplier than i thaught.

now, is there any way to get the lock plate off with out the puller?

column-10r.jpg

what in the heck is this "switch" for? im gussing that its the contact for the horn ring?

i finally got the one apart, with out the puller, needless to say that im buying a puller ( or is it pusher:confused: tomarrow) so i can do it on the car. so far ive removed the steering wheel and every thing is ready to be worked on tomarrow.

also.....
LC1426thumb.jpg

would the ignition lock cylinder (like above) be the cause of the car being able to be started with out the key, am i correct?

mystery switch

The switch in the color photo is the switch that activates that annoying buzzer in the so called "convenience centre". I put the switch back in when working on my car but removed the black box in the "convenience centre" that makes the noise when you open the door with the key in the ignition or the seat belts unlatched, head lights on (if you have those options).
That's my experience your car could be different.
As for the lock cylinder I just forget exactly how that worked but I tossed mine out and bought a new aftermarket one from a locksmith and solved several problems.

Peter

The switch in the color photo is the switch that activates that annoying buzzer in the so called "convenience centre". I put the switch back in when working on my car but removed the black box in the "convenience centre" that makes the noise when you open the door with the key in the ignition or the seat belts unlatched, head lights on (if you have those options).

am i correct in saying that the switch and spring is the only things holding the lock cly in place?

btw. is autozone going to be open for mothersday? i need the lock ring pusher and some snap ring plires. getting the old one off was enough of a pita while it was out of the car.

Its been awhile since I worked on one but I seem to recall there is a long pin with threads at the top that drops down beside the cylinder (on the right hand side looking from the top) and and screws down snug and that is what holds it in place mechanically and prevents it from rotating with the inner cylinder or coming out.
Sorry I'm not more help.

Don't know about Autozone we don't have those stores up here.

Peter

Hi,
I'm sure Autozone will be open.The screw in pin is inded what holds the lock cylinder in place. You can rent the lock ring tool from Autozone also. At least you did'nt have to go farther into it...
Dale

heres my newist problem, when i tryed reinstaling the lock plate i could not get it to seat, even with the tool. when i removed the lock plate and the big spring there is a metal cap that sets on top of the bearing and i can remove it by hand. at one point the main steering rod actually moved and the bearing seperated and i pushed it back in so ive got a feeling that its shot to.

any idea how that cap is suposed to seat in the column?

i hate to think it but i believe that im gona have to remove the column and replace the bearing aint i?

a BIG part of my problems is that my dumbass dad put the steering wheel back on, minus the lock plate, and drove the car while i was sleeping. now every thing is out of whack.