Little help with tune...

Darkstar72

So I posted this in the Combo/Timeslip section as well in the Drag Racing area, but not getting much assistance over there and hoping the alky specific folks could help a bit.

I recently took my car to the track for the first time and I only made one pass as I don't really want to push the envelope as I'm more of a cruiser these days. Plus I don't have the money to fix much if I break it. Anyway....at that time I was just happy to get down the track with no incident, I still remembered how to do a proper burnout after 8 year hiatus from the track, and I drove it home in one piece. After looking through different combos similiar to mine it looks like I'm leaving a lot on the table which I feel is likely in my tune. The car felt great out of the hole, but felt really lazy on the top end.

Here are the numbers from the slip:

60' - 1.697
330 - 5.017
1/8 - 7.851
MPH - 86.40
1000 - 10.316
1/4 - 12.417
MPH - 106.81

All mods are in my sig and the weather conditions that day were muggy, muggy air - maybe about 76 degrees at 7:30 at night. Boost at 23 PSI, no knock recorded down the track, and I wasn't watching the Scanmaster for O2 at top end of track but recall showed 802 mV.

After a lot of reading this week it seems like I should be in the mid to high 11s with my combo. I have added a bit fuel through the chip to be safe on the street and I left timing alone in the TT chip, 23/21. Fueling is 93 with alky and my alky is VP M1.

Need to watch SM in 3rd gear and not recall. If your target is 760 then watch SM o2 and it should be something like 765...775....760..768..etc Recall isnt good for tuning. Honestly the Wb02s are so chep now its silly not to have one. The PLX is the best bang for buck

Yes...that was my fault. When I was in staging lanes it was quite a long time so I was sitting in line watching my coolant temp and then I got so nervous/excited when I got closer I forgot to switch back to the O2 and KR screen. I plan to take it back to the track next month in much more turbo friendly weather and will keep a closer eye on the O2s.

Wideband is on the list of things to get installed next year when time/money permits.

One run is not a good indication. You need to go back and do a bunch of runs, writing down the sm numbers on the time slip. Then you will have a better idea. Before anything though I'ld get a wide band O2 and a Powerlogger. Can't beat the info you will have. Might find a flaw in the car and save you big $$

So I posted this in the Combo/Timeslip section as well in the Drag Racing area, but not getting much assistance over there and hoping the alky specific folks could help a bit.

I recently took my car to the track for the first time and I only made one pass as I don't really want to push the envelope as I'm more of a cruiser these days. Plus I don't have the money to fix much if I break it. Anyway....at that time I was just happy to get down the track with no incident, I still remembered how to do a proper burnout after 8 year hiatus from the track, and I drove it home in one piece. After looking through different combos similiar to mine it looks like I'm leaving a lot on the table which I feel is likely in my tune. The car felt great out of the hole, but felt really lazy on the top end.

Here are the numbers from the slip:

60' - 1.697
330 - 5.017
1/8 - 7.851
MPH - 86.40
1000 - 10.316
1/4 - 12.417
MPH - 106.81

All mods are in my sig and the weather conditions that day were muggy, muggy air - maybe about 76 degrees at 7:30 at night. Boost at 23 PSI, no knock recorded down the track, and I wasn't watching the Scanmaster for O2 at top end of track but recall showed 802 mV.

After a lot of reading this week it seems like I should be in the mid to high 11s with my combo. I have added a bit fuel through the chip to be safe on the street and I left timing alone in the TT chip, 23/21. Fueling is 93 with alky and my alky is VP M1.

Have to look at the mph associated with the o2 millivolts on recall. Do this by holding both buttons together on the scanmaster.

Ideally you need a wbo2 and something to log with, like a powerlogger.

One run is not a good indication. You need to go back and do a bunch of runs, writing down the sm numbers on the time slip. Then you will have a better idea. Before anything though I'ld get a wide band O2 and a Powerlogger. Can't beat the info you will have. Might find a flaw in the car and save you big $$

I will do that next month. I won't have the wideband or the powerlogger by then, but I will play it safe with the information that I have available to me. Powerlogger and a new chip/injector combo for next spring were on my list before other circumstances start using that money.

Seriously? Why would
You say this??
Because ive tuned and owned several TRs with the scanmaster for 20+ years. The recall is simply a snapshot in time in 3rd, seen headgaskets blown from going lean and recall showed it was fine. Ive heard pinging and felt cars fall over and never saw a bit of KR on the SM. Easy proof is look at a powerlogger scan and then hit recall and the numbers arent always the same. If the chip doesnt have the fast update mode and you hit recall numbers arent a good reflection.....etc etc. To each is own.

Because ive tuned and owned several TRs with the scanmaster for 20+ years. The recall is simply a snapshot in time in 3rd, seen headgaskets blown from going lean and recall showed it was fine. Ive heard pinging and felt cars fall over and never saw a bit of KR on the SM. Easy proof is look at a powerlogger scan and then hit recall and the numbers arent always the same. If the chip doesnt have the fast update mode and you hit recall numbers arent a good reflection.....etc etc. To each is own.

We both been doing this a long time. I look at powerlogger scans all the time and the narrowband always coincides with the wideband unless there is something wrong with one of them.....