Limit Engenering turbo problem's (CHOPPER)

In the early days every vender was having trouble with turbo life on these cars.I spent a fortune on such problems. Some still haven't figured it out. PTE seems to have it nailed down pretty well & that who I deal with. The staff there are all knowledgeable but since I haven't managed to piss off Pete Barton no matter how hard I've tried he's my favorite person there to deal with.

I know how you feel,I bought a used freshly rebuilt turbo, rebuilt from a well known member here and I got the run around when it started to smoke with less than 100 street miles. So off it went to Percision, just waiting to see what it is going to cost me. I knew I should of bought a brand new turbo from Percision, but I had a lot of trust with this person because of there great reputation, at least I would of had a warrantee. Now a days when someone tells you if you have any problems to contact them means nothing. So after said and done I will probably have the same amount of $$$$ in this old school journal bearing turbo than I would if I bought a new 5857 billet unit, oh well live and learn I guess. But like you I don't like to trash anyone, that's why I am leaving the persons name out of it. So brother I feel your pain! Thanks for letting me vent.

Agreed... Couldn't have said it better.

I know how you feel,I bought a used freshly rebuilt turbo, rebuilt from a well known member here and I got the run around when it started to smoke with less than 100 street miles. So off it went to Percision, just waiting to see what it is going to cost me. I knew I should of bought a brand new turbo from Percision, but I had a lot of trust with this person because of there great reputation, at least I would of had a warrantee. Now a days when someone tells you if you have any problems to contact them means nothing. So after said and done I will probably have the same amount of $$$$ in this old school journal bearing turbo than I would if I bought a new 5857 billet unit, oh well live and learn I guess. But like you I don't like to trash anyone, that's why I am leaving the persons name out of it. So brother I feel your pain! Thanks for letting me vent.

You definitely have to watch out. I know a guy that works for the only place in town that rebuilds turbos, he's looked at a turbo that I had which looked perfect but had bits of cam bearing material in it, shaft was toast but the turbo looked perfect. He ripped open a turbo that a friend bought from almost the same situation you described. The guy had spun the bearing in his motor and the turbo needed a rebuild but at least it wasn't that expensive.

Definitely dont use Precision..PTE..I purchased a new turbo from them years ago..not many miles later(prob 250 miles) the intake wheel is all ground up..for some reason it is automatically my fault since I must have gotten trash in it..funny I never did it to the old one...They wanted to rebuild it completley...well anyways...I then simply asked..can I purchase the intake wheel from you?? No we dont do that..only rebuild..I said ok Ill get it somewhere else then..well they said it was there propietary turbo..only they have & own the parts..BS!!!!.. Called limit & got the straight truth,they would rebuild it or sell me the part & it was a very easy fix I was told..I fixed myself & still running strong..so No I would not use PTE for anything as I believe I was being taken advantage of..vendor or not..you dont do buisness like that..JMHO...

Definitely dont use Precision..PTE..I purchased a new turbo from them years ago..not many miles later(prob 250 miles) the intake wheel is all ground up..for some reason it is automatically my fault since I must have gotten trash in it..funny I never did it to the old one...They wanted to rebuild it completley...well anyways...I then simply asked..can I purchase the intake wheel from you?? No we dont do that..only rebuild..I said ok Ill get it somewhere else then..well they said it was there propietary turbo..only they have & own the parts..BS!!!!.. Called limit & got the straight truth,they would rebuild it or sell me the part & it was a very easy fix I was told..I fixed myself & still running strong..so No I would not use PTE for anything as I believe I was being taken advantage of..vendor or not..you dont do buisness like that..JMHO...
This isn't years ago anymore. I think you should give PTE another chance. I have been using them for some time now with very few problems. The new generation of BB turbos work very well. But if the internals of the engine are coming apart & shedding debris through the turbo then it cant survive that. I would also hope that anyone replacing an engine after a failure has the good sense to either replace the engine cooler or eliminate it completely to prevent inhaling debris back through it.

Well now i recieved my old turbo back from chopper, and have to say one thing the POOREST customer service ever.....this guy is the death of limit in my mind, i explained the facts and sent back for him to look at and i understand this is one of many issues he is dealing with but to only last 200 miles and i also understand theres no lifetime warrenty but 200 miles says one thing this turbo was junk from the word go, when he shipped it back to me the first time and the wheels were unable to turn?????? said housing was bad??? now telling me wheels are rubbed? and bearing wasted? totally unable to accept this at 200 miles i am not a mechanic but i am not a idiot either. this turbo was never right and he wants to make excuses and the **** he sent me back HHHAAAAAAA every thing looks like 300k turbo.....if this turbo is mine i will kiss his A** lol expected nothing less....so after calling to tell him i was unhappy he explained that he could rebuild it for 575..yea right then he asked what will make me happy? i explained that i am in business also and dont want nothing for free but please dont insult me...he explained that he would ask "JOHN" what they could do...and upon return call gonna love this one..."WE WILL PICK UP TURBO AND REBUILD IT FOR 350 WITH NO WARRANTY" now thats standing behind your product and work right?,,,,will post pictures soon all i can say is in the PAST limit was the man but in this turbo car owners future he will never be included. JOEEO

Since this thread is more vendor feedback related, I am moving it to the appropriate section.

Limit has always built a nice turbo for me never any problems with their stuff.Surprised to hear this..

It seems like this is more of a Limit bashing thread than anything else. Without pictures, the claims are basically worthless. Please show some pics.

Limit is one of the best Turbo Builders in the industry.

One thing about the Limit Turbo "not spinning": Limit uses a lot of assembly grease when they build/rebuild their turbos. This makes it initially hard to spin the wheels. Once the oil has run through the turbo after startup, this goes away.

If you had any Turbo Damage, or any Engine Bearing Damage, you must flush the entire oiling system very well, cooler included, or you will contaminate the new Turbo Bearings.

It seems like this is more of a Limit bashing thread than anything else. Without pictures, the claims are basically worthless. Please show some pics.

Limit is one of the best Turbo Builders in the industry.

One thing about the Limit Turbo "not spinning": Limit uses a lot of assembly grease when they build/rebuild their turbos. This makes it initially hard to spin the wheels. Once the oil has run through the turbo after startup, this goes away.

If you had any Turbo Damage, or any Engine Bearing Damage, you must flush the entire oiling system very well, cooler included, or you will contaminate the new Turbo Bearings.

Agree. We have seen the same thing.

Pete

I am attempting to post pictures of the items he returned i have friend trying, as for the lube on assembly the wheels were burried against the housing and no way shape or form was lube holding it up, as for oiling issue the 34k car this was on had stock turbo which was fine and now has another 60 that a friend sold me untill i buy new one in spring and no issues with it so i dont buy the oiling excuse and also as for bashing this is truth no stories and when u wasted the amount of money that i have, thinking that u had the best u could buy at the time just wanted to share with other buick owners so they dont have the problems with the poor service and substandard product. NOW THATS BASHING HMMMMMM

it is what it is!!! my friends came back oily and greasy and it went to him clean. as for the wheel not spinning i believe that too. he got charged everytime it went back plus shipping and the same results. sell it and goto precision. sorry you got screwed