Lifters

Clark6

Well my question is the lifters still in the car,,, If i can't get it primed up just remove it??? I've never done it before. They are hard as a rock on the upstroke... but when i rotated the engine on the bottomed out side of #4 exhaust the lifter is spungy like. rotate the engine its gets back hard again.... I dunno if they are the 853s but strong possibility . This engine been running fine the last 7/8 years when I put it in... suggestions? All of a sudden it made a loud clacking noise under passenger side valve cover I thought maybe they just needed adjustment.....

is it just the one lifter Ray?
Yep Just one #4 Exhaust. I tried to squirt marvel mystery oil down the shoot. took the rocker off squirted down the pushrod hole. The engine will prime but that one lifter on the bottom side is springy/squishy but rotate the engine somemore it's hard as a rock..... repeat...

Is it collapsed or lost prime or what? Do I need to pull the intake? Wish it was an article to see how to do what I need to do. :/

when it's opening the valve is it collapsing(rotating engine by hand)?

cant explain what you mean Doug I only check it two ways rotate engine clock wise till the valve is closed it's spongy/springy feeling the other don't do that .... rotate engine with valve opened its hard as a rock.

cant explain what you mean Doug I only check it two ways rotate engine clock wise till the valve is closed it's spongy/springy feeling the other don't do that .... rotate engine with valve opened its hard as a rock.
When the valve is closed there is only a little pre-load on the lifter. There is either no oil getting in the lifter or the lifter plunger is damaged and cannot fill or remain filled. This is why it feels "spongy/springy feeling". As you rotate the engine clock wise and the cam lobe starts to push the lifter up, the plunger in the lifter will bottom before the valve will open and this is why it is no longer a "spongy/springy feeling". It is completely collapsed. I would remove the lifter set and replace with the same as to not need new push rods. Let me know what lifters they are when you get them removed.

Last edited:
When the valve is closed there is only a little pre-load on the lifter. There is either no oil getting in the lifter or the lifter plunger is damaged and cannot fill or remain filled. This is why it feels "spongy/springy feeling". As you rotate the engine clock wise and the cam lobe starts to push the lifter up, the plunger in the lifter will bottom before the valve will open and this is why it is no longer a "spongy/springy feeling". It is completely collapsed. I would remove the lifter set and replace with the same as to not need new push rods. Let me know what lifters they are when you get them removed.

Thank you so much Dave will do.. This sounds very logical .. I'll let you know. That's all I needed was a little direction before I start to take things apart... You too Doug I'll let you know what I find out. Doug call my house again so I can get your number and put in my cell phone.....