Lifter Question

jemook

I know that this is not exactly the right forum, but I am helping a friend and his son rebuild a mild Chevy 350 with Vortec heads for a pickup. Since he doesn't have much money we're going to put a flat tappet hyd cam (probably a Comp) back in it. My question is; which supplier has good hyd. lifters now? Have been looking on several forums but cannot find a definitive answer. Much thanks for any info.
John

I know that this is not exactly the right forum, but I am helping a friend and his son rebuild a mild Chevy 350 with Vortec heads for a pickup. Since he doesn't have much money we're going to put a flat tappet hyd cam (probably a Comp) back in it. My question is; which supplier has good hyd. lifters now? Have been looking on several forums but cannot find a definitive answer. Much thanks for any info.
John
if it already had a roller your crazy to not keep it roller! new stock style stuff is cheap! a chevy 395' cam is a nice upgrade in a vortec 350

You won't find a good answer on any forum because all flat tappet lifters these days are crap. Once all the OEMs went to roller, the lifter manufactures concentrated on roller production and phased out the flats.

When flats were the norm, the cams had better blanks, oil had high pressure anti-scuff additives, and lifters had hard feet. Now we have the wrong oil, softer blanks, and unhardened lifters. That's pretty much a recipe for disaster.

Oil can have ZDDP added with not to much problem, so that's easy. With the cam blanks, I'd probably steer clear of Comp and look more towards Howards, Lunati, or one of the other better names. Comp like to send their production to Mexico and let QC go to shit these days. At this time the flat lifters pretty much come from china and don't have the hardened feet on the bottom like the originals did.

I do have a set of 16 Delco OEM lifters I bought for my boat engine many years ago I might let go of. They are actual Delphi units with the hard foot on them and will have a much better chance of surviving. If you're interested I'll take $100 for them. Pricey I know, but it's cheaper than doing it twice.

Appreciate the feedback Earl. It is a '75 block so it doesn't have a roller cam. I use Zddp+ and other oil that have the good additives and will make sure my buddy knows what to use. Thanks for the offer on the lifters, I will check with him and see if he wants to buy them. I'll get back to you. Thanks.
John

I've said for years that a flat tappet cam belongs in a museum not an engine.

They can be made to survive, but it's not like the old days where all you needed was 35 minutes and an oil change. LOTS of hoops to jump through and extra procedures (even after it's proven itself) to keep one alive if it didn't eat itself right off the bat.

I have used the JB-817 Melling lifters in several engines with great success. They are very high quality. They are also a stocked item at AutoZone.

I have an almost infinite supply of GM hardened foot lifters. I build lots of engines with flat tappet lifters and have been using these for 25 years with no problems. I have used them with numerous brands of cams with no problems. Only caution i would give you. -------for the initial break in use either Zpaste or the Gibbs paste. I have tested every kind of cam break in lube and those two are an order of magnitude better than the all the others. If you really want a set of the best lifters ever made give me a call.........RC 336-684-3653

Guys
I appreciate the feedback. After we looked at all the options, he decided to go with a rebuilt long block with the roller cam and vortec heads already installed. $2000 seems reasonable for it. Install should go a lot quicker since we don't have to mess with a rebuilding his old engine.
John